Question

Speakers randomly delete from S2 app; app frequently "unable to connect to servers"

• 26 June 2020
  • 8 replies

I’ve had numerous issues since updating the app to S2 -- all my speakers are compatible. I have a Playbar, four PLAY 1s, a Sonos ONE and a Beam. Most times I open the app, I get unable to connect error -- so of course then there is no way to manage a speaker or its issues. Open and closing the app several times, turning wifi on/off, rebooting my iphone… not sure exactly what clears it (I’ve tried it all) but then I’ll attempt to open a 4th or 5th time and it finally connects to the Sonos servers. 

However, the app has yet to recognize all of my speakers. Then, randomly, while I’m looking at the app, a speaker or two will disappear. I’ve run the Recognize setup several times. I’ve probably rebooted my router, disconnected/reconnected each speaker and plugged each in via ethernet over 10 times in 4 days to attempt the transition to the new app.

The app has never created a temporary wifi network, and then of course you can’t go further in the setup process. The flashing orange light on every speaker stops flashing before the app has finished its search for the products. Now, sometimes, when I hit the play/+ buttons to get the orange light back, the app will find the speaker. 

I’m at a loss for what to try next. I’ve had it set up for what looks correct, then a couple hours later open the app (because a speaker isn’t working) and either get the connection error or have to re-add the speaker. 

Any suggestions?

8 replies

I too am experiencing the same issue with speakers disappearing from the system. Just the same as the original post, when i go through the “find missing product” menu in the app, the speaker stops flashing before the app wants it to. After that, the app tells me that the speaker needs to create a temporary WIFI network called “SONOS” and asks me to connect, when I do, it always tells me it is unable to verify I am connected to the temporary WIFI network and asks me to start over.

I tried once plugging the speaker into ethernet as suggested in the app, but as soon as I disconnect the cable, the speaker disappears from the app.

I am using iOS 13 and the latest Sonos S2 app.

Your assistance is appreciated.

Getting exactly the same. Although now we are unable to play any music on all speaker, somebody please help? Is there a fix for this? 
Not happy Sonos..

I’m the OP and still having this issue. Every time I open the app I get a different error/issue and typically see only 1 or 2 of my 7-speaker suite. Can’t group speakers that don’t show in the app.

I called customer support but there is a 40 minute hold time. Obviously lots of problems with S2. I didn’t wait on the phone. Now I have $2000 in paperweights. 

Ok, so to continue the countless hours I’ve spent troubleshooting, I unplugged the 3 Google Wifi extenders in my network and rebooted the router (an Xfinity TECHNICOLOR CGM4331COM modem/router, if that matters). Tried adding/rebooting/finding all speakers -- none found. Plugged in the closest to the router via ethernet and voila all speakers appear. Unplugged ethernet cable and received “unable to connect to Sonos” error and no speakers showing in the app. Rebooted and reset app with the same results. Plug ethernet back in and all speakers appear in the app.

So definitely something with the connection over wifi. Anyone know what that might be? It’s not practical in my setup to keep the ethernet cable connected to the speaker as it is now. 

As a result of the above, I can only play music via Spotify in the S2 app. The speakers do not appear at all in the Spotify app, although all my alexa devices do, so I know it’s not Spotify causing the issue. 

Ok, so to continue the countless hours I’ve spent troubleshooting, I unplugged the 3 Google Wifi extenders in my network and rebooted the router (an Xfinity TECHNICOLOR CGM4331COM modem/router, if that matters). Tried adding/rebooting/finding all speakers -- none found. Plugged in the closest to the router via ethernet and voila all speakers appear. Unplugged ethernet cable and received “unable to connect to Sonos” error and no speakers showing in the app. Rebooted and reset app with the same results. Plug ethernet back in and all speakers appear in the app.

So definitely something with the connection over wifi. Anyone know what that might be? It’s not practical in my setup to keep the ethernet cable connected to the speaker as it is now. 

As a result of the above, I can only play music via Spotify in the S2 app. The speakers do not appear at all in the Spotify app, although all my alexa devices do, so I know it’s not Spotify causing the issue. 

As you are using a network with more than one WiFi access point, I would personally recommend that you switch your system to SonosNet by wiring just one standalone sonos device to your primary router that begins the WiFi network and then do the following…

• Try fixing your routers 2.4ghz WiFi channel to a non overlapping channel, like channel 6 for example.
  • Set all the WiFi access points, extenders, hubs or adapters to use the exact same SSID, password and channel as the main router. Set the channel width to 20MHz for the 2.4ghz band. 
  • If using a 5ghz band, ensure the SSID name is different to the 2.4ghz SSID and set it’s channel width to no more than 40MHz.
  • If you know how to do this with your router, I would also choose to reserve your sonos IP addresses in its DHCP reservation table .. this is optional, but worthwhile.
  • In the Sonos App set your SonosNet channel in ‘Settings/System/Network’ so that it is at least 5 channels away from your chosen routers 2.4ghz channel. So if you set the primary router to WiFi channel 6, then set SonosNet to either channel 1 or 11.
  • If you have a Sonos Move speaker then place that on the 5ghz WiFi band, rather than the 2.4ghz band and then goto the Sonos App ‘Settings/System/Network/Wireless Setup’ and remove/reset your WiFi credentials, as these are not required when running the system on SonosNet.
  • Also ensure that your wired standalone Sonos device (Speaker or Boost etc.) is not sat too close to your primary router… ensure it is at least 3 to 4 feet away from it.
  • This Sonos support document is also worth a read... WiFi Interference

Thank for the advise Ken,

I have never had this problem before, it has only started since upgrading to the S2 app.

All Sonos speakers now just very expensive paper weights as srm007 has quoted.

Is there anyway I can contact SONOS directly and submit diagnostics. Or do I have to wait for an update fix to the poor poor app? 

I do use WiFi extenders SSID of 2.4 & 5ghz are different.

2.4ghz is set to the same as router.

Different channels used on router and SONOS.

This has always been the case. Now S2 app has stopped system working. Can’t play lullaby’s for my youngest child to sleep… Driving me crazy... 

I have never had this problem before, it has only started since upgrading to the S2 app.

Is there anyway I can contact SONOS directly and submit diagnostics. Or do I have to wait for an update fix to the poor poor app? 

This has always been the case. Now S2 app has stopped system working. Can’t play lullaby’s for my youngest child to sleep… Driving me crazy... 

Support via email asked that I set up the system again on wifi, presumably in case the app/speakers were pulling from the mesh devices. I had several complications in doing so and still have the same results.

Only the Sonos One speaker is recognized in the app. The other 6 do not show and I cannot get them to connect to wifi by either plugging them in to ethernet one at a time or rebooting them/Finding them in their positions. The orange flashing light on the speaker times out every time when searching for the product. The app doesn’t see this so it says to connect to the temporary wifi network, which if course I can’t because there is no temporary network that was set up. And then you’re stuck in the app because there is no other steps to move on from there. It’s a continuous loop of all the same actions with the same results - most of my speakers do not appear in the app so I have no control over them. 

@DazzerC - After 2 hours on the phone with support (level 1 then 2), I think it’s solved. Not sure if this helps in your case but the culprit for mine was using the same network name for my router and my Google Mesh nodes.

Apparently, that was causing the speakers to look for an ip address (when routers reassign them automatically) from my internet router or the google nodes, wherever they could be assigned first. When getting the ip address from my router, they would not appear online with the others connected to the nodes. Changing the name of the router today means the speakers can only find an ip address on the nodes, so they are all linked and remain so. 

This setup is fine for me because the router is only providing the internet to the nodes; the nodes provide the connection point to my devices.