speakers out of sync

• 18 August 2016
  • 90 replies

I've had Sonos for years. Just recently, the speakers get out of sync from each other. I've ungrouped and regrouped the speakers. I've powered down all internet and electronic devices. I can get them back in sync but it only lasts for a few hours then they go out again. Can you help?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

90 replies

Similar problem here with SONOS PLAY3
Have 5 of them in a group and all 5 are out of sync

Diagnostics ID 7534368
Taking them out of the group and re-grouping them fixes the issue temporarily
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Your system looks to be hardwired, and even so, the units are not communicating sufficiently with one-another, to allow playback to be seamless. What information can you give us as to how this is wired? Via a switch, I assume? If so, what is the make and model?
Hello!

Can someone take a look at my diagnostic data? We have had excellent luck with our Sonos system (Play:3, 2 Play:1, 1 Connect) until recently when all the speakers, grouped together, play out of sync.. Ungrouping and regrouping generally fixes it, but they are back out of sync the next day.

Number 7615418.

thank you!
Mark
MarkTs,

As a suggestion, you may want to call in or talk to them via FB Messenger/Twitter. I'm assuming there's a pretty obscure hardware fault in one of your speakers, and if that's the case, the process would be quicker in a direct conversation than it would be working through these forums.

You can find your local area's information here: www.sonos.com/contact
MarkTs,

As a suggestion, you may want to call in or talk to them via FB Messenger/Twitter. I'm assuming there's a pretty obscure hardware fault in one of your speakers, and if that's the case, the process would be quicker in a direct conversation than it would be working through these forums.

You can find your local area's information here: www.sonos.com/contact

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried FB Messenger last night and while it took overnight to get a response, I heard from Sonos this morning and they are investigating. 🆒
Great!

I happen to be a fan of more synchronous forms of contact when I'm dealing with this kind of issue, so I'd have gone with the phone and the potential wait that some talk about, but that's me. The important thing is that they've replied to you, and it's moving forward. Best of luck!
Userlevel 1
I've got the same issue with my Play 1s - stereo pair, works ok for a while then gets out of sync.

I've submitted diagnostics: 7727905

Can you assist?

Thanks
First thing Sonos told me was that I needed to update my device firmware. I was sure I kept everything up to date, but that wasn't the case. After loading the latest, my out-of-sync issues are gone. It might be a good idea to verify you're running the latest software.
I've had Sonos for years. Just recently, the speakers get out of sync from each other. I've ungrouped and regrouped the speakers. I've powered down all internet and electronic devices. I can get them back in sync but it only lasts for a few hours then they go out again. Can you help?
I'm having the same problem with my Sonos 1 pairing. Constantly falling out of sync. I grouping and regrouping fixes the problem, but only temporarily.

Diagnostic 7739532

Any help?
My Sonos speakers are out of sync no matter which combination of speakers I use. Please assist.

Diagnostic: 7910747

Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, Good Todd:

Thanks for reaching out and for the diagnostic report. Would you mind telling us a little more about your network Sonso is connected to? It seems that the iOS controller you are using to control Sonos is connected to a different device than the router that your Sonos is connected to. Are you using extenders or access points?
Thanks, Keith

My Sonos is connected directly to my router via ethernet, but I have an AirPort Extreme (connected to the same router my Sonos is connected to) to which all of my WiFi-enabled devices connect. (Tbh, not sure if that constitutes an extender or access point--forgive my naivete.) I've had the speakers set up this way for quite some time and haven't had an issue until now.
Hi there, Good Todd:

Thanks for reaching out and for the diagnostic report. Would you mind telling us a little more about your network Sonso is connected to? It seems that the iOS controller you are using to control Sonos is connected to a different device than the router that your Sonos is connected to. Are you using extenders or access points?

Any advice?
Hello? Is this sync issue something that can be fixed? Or are these speakers, though expensive, good for only a year?
Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, not Sonos problems. The typical cause is duplicate IP addresses. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device. To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.
I'm not experiencing a connection problem. I'm experiencing a sync problem. I've tried the reboot method already, and after a few hours of play, the speakers go out of sync again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey there again, Good Todd.

Thanks for your patience here while we get caught up on the Community. Since we've had a rather large update come out since we last spoke, do you mind submitting another fresh diagnostic report right after making the speakers go out of sync again? Be sure to reply with the confirmation number it gives at the end. Thanks in advance.
I'm having this sync issue with just my Play:3, while the 2 Connects and Play:1 are staying in perfect sync. I have tried it with either the Play:3 or any other one as the group coordinator and got the same results. I have not been able to get them in sync at all. Submitted my diagnostics and here is the confirmation number: 8150720.
My paired Play:1s are out of sync by less than half a second, but it's very distracting. Diagnostic number is 8183662.
I've just had the same problem happen.

I've had sonos running for a couple of years, and for the first time, the stereo pair in my kitchen/living room are falling out of sync. They are 2 play:1's with a Sub.

When playing some tracks (happen to be from google music) one of the speakers is playing audio half a second behind the other one which is causing a horrible echo.

Diagnostic information: 8175210

Any help appreciated
Seems to be getting even worse - second diagnostic - 8184011 Very frustrating.
Same issue with pair of Play1s falling out of sync.
Diagnostic 8186072.
While you wait for a response from Sonos on those diagnostics, have you tried rebooting the devices, as a temporary fix? I'm wondering if they are 'reset', if the problem persists, or is temporarily allayed.
Hi Airgetlam
I tried a reboot - and it made if better for an hour or so. But with 5 speakers around the house this is not sustainable. Is this the right channel to get support from sonos people?
Thanks,
Mark