Question

speakers out of sync

I've had Sonos for years. Just recently, the speakers get out of sync from each other. I've ungrouped and regrouped the speakers. I've powered down all internet and electronic devices. I can get them back in sync but it only lasts for a few hours then they go out again. Can you help?

60 replies

You'll need to submit a diagnostic and post the number so Sonos Support can take a look. The first place one would probably look is in the player logs for major SNTP failures.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
As ratty said, we'd be happy to take a look at a diagnostic if you use the directions here to submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number.

Also, what source of audio are you listening to that's out of sync, and with which rooms do you notice this?
HI, I've got a similar problem. I've got a paired set of Play1s in the kitchen, a single Play1 in the Dining Room, Bedroom, and Portable in another room, and a Connect in my family room. Over the last week or so, I've had the various rooms go out of sync with each other (especially noticed kitchen and dining room, but I think also the family room for sure). I've tried ungrouping and regrouping, which works for a while, but the next day they are out of sync again. I've submitted diagnostics under 6685486.

Thanks,
Hahv
Oh, I've been using Pandora exclusively when this happened (but I've been using Pandora most of the time ever since I got my first Play1 a couple years ago...)
And whomever from Sonos helps Hahv out, would you mind posting here? I'm trying to figure out how this is actually possible, given what I know about the way the system works, and would love to get an explanation as to how it is resolved, in order to increase my knowledge base.

Thanks. And Hahv, best of luck!
Airgetlam, thanks. I'll reply back again if the response from SONOS doesn't show up here. Cheers, Hahv
Hi Hahv

Feel free to submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number. We'd be happy to have a look.
Hi Nico,

See my original post. Diagnostics #6685486 submitted earlier today.

Hahv
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Hi Hahv, it looks like one of your Sonos players has a hardware fault which is causing it to lose synchronization with the rest of the system. This is a bit of a rare fault and it can be a bit difficult to narrow down on the player which is experiencing it. Basically, when the faulty player is the leader of a group (i.e you pressed 'group' on this player, and then added others into this) we will see the error on the diagnostics for the other members of the group. Have you noticed the problem occurring on specific group setups? To determine which one has the fault for sure, we're going to need to test groups of two players playing for about three hours each, which seems to be how long it takes to manifest.

For example, press 'group' on the Dining Room and then group in one other zone and play for three hours. Send us a diagnostic after that and we can see if the Dining Room is OK or not. I'm afraid you'll have to repeat this test for all players as a group leader, unless you hear a problem. You can treat your Kitchen zone which is a stereo pair as a group of it's own. Just play some music on the Kitchen only. If you can hear that one grouping test gives you music de-synchronization, you can stop testing at that point as we will have found the culprit. Send us diagnostic numbers for all the tests that you do.

Airgetlam wrote:

And whomever from Sonos helps Hahv out, would you mind posting here? I'm trying to figure out how this is actually possible, given what I know about the way the system works, and would love to get an explanation as to how it is resolved, in order to increase my knowledge base.

Thanks. And Hahv, best of luck!

Hey Airgetlam, this is purely a hardware issue and can only be resolved by replacing the affected unit. We actually can't share that much info here about the inner workings of the players, but there's a part which generates clock timings and this is failing.
Tom B wrote:

we will see the error on the diagnostics for the other members of the group

Tom, would this be the "SNTP success after N failures" type of message or something more serious?
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Hi ratty, this would be 'Clock Pull hit the bottom rail', or top rail. Those SNTP messages we don't really need to worry about. The issue is not network related until an affected player starts broadcasting streams with clock times the other group members cannot match.
Thanks Tom. Would the 'Clock Pull' messages be seen in anacapa.trace or in dmesg?
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
You're quite welcome. This is found in the anacapa.
Tom B - thanks for the detailed response. I've been out of town but back now and will start the tests as you requested. More later. Thanks again - Hahv
Tom B - okay, I ran the kitchen pair for 3.5 hours. Didn't hear anything amiss. Diagnostics submission is 6705469.

Next, I'l try the Family Room as group leader and Dining Room as follower.

Hahv
Tom B - okay, ran the Living Room Connect as the group lead, and the Dining Room Play1 as the follower, and they are definitely out of sync. Diagnostics number is 6706279.

Let me know what I should do next.

Thanks,
Hahv
Hi Hahv

Thanks for performing so much troubleshooting already. Determining which Sonos device is creating the sync problem takes a bit of deduction. Even if the Clock Pull message is showing up in one or more of the Anacapa logs, it doesn’t necessarily mean that specific player is malfunctioning.

Would it be possible to for you to call in and we’ll help you get the misbehaving device identified? I’ve created an troubleshooting ticket for you; if you provide the incident number the the technician, it will save you time on the call.

Incident Number: 161103-001648

Tech Support Contact Information: http://www.sonos.com/en-us/contact
Do we have a solution yet?

Thanks,
Thys
ThysCoetzee wrote:

Do we have a solution yet?

As the diagnosis was evidently a rare hardware fault the 'solution' would be replacement of the affected unit.

Describe your problem.
Hey, I'm having this issue currently. Just submitted diagnostics, confirmation number 7259130.
Userlevel 1
I am having this same problem all of a sudden. It is with a pair, not a group. A stereo pair that keeps getting unsynced. Can you help please?
I just started having the same exact issue as tstreet in the first thread. One of my Play3s is out of sync with the rest of my speakers when using Pandora. I've never had this issue in two years. My diagnostic confirmation number is: 7332881. Thanks!
I also have this sync issue with a stereo pair after a couple years without incident. I have an open ticket now trying to sort it out (170427-000219) and will add anything useful I learn. I also use Pandora most of the time, but haven't tested to see if it only happens with that source.
+1. Just started happening with paired Play3 set. Based on the number of recent posts, the problem appears to be growing. Does the hardware inside these speakers come with an expiration date...?
ChrisB-BA wrote:

+1. Just started happening with paired Play3 set. Based on the number of recent posts, the problem appears to be growing. Does the hardware inside these speakers come with an expiration date...?

Submit a system diagnostic and post the number. If there's a hardware issue Sonos Support would be able to diagnose it.

And no, of course Sonos players don't have an expiration date. Sonos continues to support all their player hardware with software upgrades, right back to units purhased in 2005. That said, the internal components of all electronics will age eventually.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)