Speakers not working properly despite Boost

• 15 January 2021
  • 27 replies

Badge

Hi,

About a year ago, i bought 4 Symfonisk speakers to my old apartment. I had issues reaching my bedroom, so I was recommended by Sonos to buy a mesh network, so I bought the Deco M5 3 pack, and where one is used as the main router. It still didn’t really worked properly but I was too tired to troubleshoot more at that time. 

I now live in a new apartment, thought it would work better here, but no. Since I’ve spent +30 hours on troubleshooting and trying to fix it (including wiring a speaker to my router), I bought the Sonos Boost hoping to eliminate all problems. 

However, it’s still basically the same, where I can’t play music via Spotify properly for more than 5-10 minutes on all the speakers. I have issues when using airplay, the sonos app, as well as spotify connect. The problem is most apparent when using all four speakers at the same time. The sound is hacking, speakers drop out, and the sonos app works slowly. 

Although some other programs works slightly better, it is still not working properly for more than 2 minutes in any way i use it. It seems to be internet interference that is the issue based on what I’ve read. I’ve tried to change the sonos net channel from 1, to 6, to 11. None of them is working properly. I have al speakers on WM:0 and have removed all wifi credentials to eliminate interference. I have tried to have the sonos boost as far away from the router as possible. And I have of course reset the app, the internet, and the speakers at multiple times.

My mesh router can’t be set to a specific wifi channel, it only has automatic mode. Maybe that is the main issue but i’m not accepting that to be enough for making this all not work. If that would be the case no one with deco would be able to have it work properly. All other products works perfectly with my internet. I have high speed everywhere (50-100mbit wifi average all around the apartment) and I live in an apartment of 68 sqm, so there is no big distances between the speakers. 

I would never had bought all this if I knew how hard it is to make it work, but now I just want everything I’ve bought to work properly. 

Any help is highly appreciated. Below you find some network matrixes. The one at the top is from yesterday, the one in the bottom is from today. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

Hi. This is strange, as the matrices look very healthy. I am surprised that Sonos Support advised getting a mesh system, though.

Is the Deco mesh everything there is or does it connect to an ISP router?

Badge

It’s connected to an ISP modem. And the modem is not working as a router.

I moved the boost again further away from the router, as well as i moved one speaker that was close to the tv and apple tv, to a more lonely place, with the hope to make it more stable. Now the matrix look like this. So all speakers are showing again: 

As an experiment, would you power off the mesh satellites and just use the primary device / router.

Give it a few minutes to reconfigure then please provide another matrix. Then see how it goes like that?

Does the Deco allow you to reserve IP addresses?

Badge

I’ve now switched all speakers to english, and also attached a print screen from the sonos system. The sonos speakers have changed ip a few times after reset. Could that be the issue you think?

Badge

As an experiment, would you power off the mesh satellites and just use the primary device / router.

Give it a few minutes to reconfigure then please provide another matrix. Then see how it goes like that?

Yes i’ll try that! coming back soon! 

I edited my previous post to ask about IP addresses but our posts crossed.

Badge

Here is the new network matrix after i removed the 2 satellite routers/nodes:

Badge

Does the Deco allow you to reserve IP addresses?

Yes it does, I can’t do that now though, but can try to reserve ip adress in like 1-2 hours

I think you should definitely do that. Then power off the primary Deco and all Sonos. Power on primary Deco and let it come up fully. Then do the same with the Boost.  Then power on your speakers.

Leave the satellites powered off for the time being.

I'll look out for a post later.

Badge

I think you should definitely do that. Then power off the primary Deco and all Sonos. Power on primary Deco and let it come up fully. Then do the same with the Boost.  Then power on your speakers.

Leave the satellites powered off for the time being.

I'll look out for a post later.

I’ve done all you asked for now. I have the secondary decos still switched off, and there is zero improvement. If anything, it works worse than yesterday.

2 new matrixes below from just now. 

There is some interference, and it seems a bit random where it crops up.  Any other wireless systems like Hue lights?  Baby monitors?

Please try changing the SonosNet channel and see if that has any effect (I know you have tried this before, but please try again).

Badge

There is some interference, and it seems a bit random where it crops up.  Any other wireless systems like Hue lights?  Baby monitors?

Please try changing the SonosNet channel and see if that has any effect (I know you have tried this before, but please try again).

I tried changing the channels now again. 1, 6, 11. None of them works properly. No, we have 2 ikea smart lamps in the bedroom, but they are not connected so they shouldn’t interfere. Other than that, I have a tv and a apple tv, but I don’t use them currently. 

The latest matrix, where now living room left just has disappeared. 

Living Room left is interesting - in the previous two matrices it flipped from getting its data direct from the Boost to getting it via the Right speaker, when there was evidence of interference.  (Or more accurately those are the STP paths, Sonos might override by direct routing.) 

Where is your router located?

Badge

My router is in the hallway, where the boost also is. 

I moved to the living room left from the tv to the window, so it now is further away from the boost than before, but further away from other devices. The distance is around 2 feet, with one wall between. 

Badge

Here you have an overview of my apartment, and where all my speakers are:

Your original modem / router, that is now acting just as modem, what is it please?  How have you disabled the router function?

This really is a simple setup, which should work fine.  My own set up makes far more demands and is rock solid. That is no comfort to you, I know, but it’s really baffling and not at all typical.

Badge

Your original modem / router, that is now acting just as modem, what is it please?  How have you disabled the router function?

My internet provider tells me that this modem can’t work as a router, it’s just a modem. So I haven’t done anything more than plug in my own router.

Badge

This really is a simple setup, which should work fine.  My own set up makes far more demands and is rock solid. That is no comfort to you, I know, but it’s really baffling and not at all typical.

Yeah, that sucks hehe. It’s so hard to find a way for it to work.

When I play via the sonos app now, at least all speakers can be run properly at the same time, although the app still works very slowly, and gives me error messages (error when trying to change song etc). When i try to use all four speakers via airplay 2, it can’t work smoothly for 5 seconds. 

i am really not surprised that Airplay doesn’t work multiroom, but that really isn’t using the sonos system.  Out of curiosity I tried it once using my wife’s iPad.  Not good.

Badge

All right, it currently seems to work well now via the sonos app. I prefer to be able to use the spotify app, but guess I’ll have to get used to the sonos app. 

I’ll let you know if I get more issues via the app. Thanks for your support so far! 

All right, it currently seems to work well now via the sonos app. I prefer to be able to use the spotify app, but guess I’ll have to get used to the sonos app. 

I’ll let you know if I get more issues via the app. Thanks for your support so far! 

Spotify Connect doesn’t use Airplay, and I would hope that would work better than Airplay.

I cannot track down any info about that modem, although Sagemcom devices with similar model numbers are modem/routers.  Before Deco, which router did you use?

Badge

Spotify Connect doesn’t use Airplay, and I would hope that would work better than Airplay.

I cannot track down any info about that modem, although Sagemcom devices with similar model numbers are modem/routers.  Before Deco, which router did you use?

I’ll try it out and see, but so far spotify connect seems to have been troubles with too. Edit: Just try it now and spotify connect seems to be working well now too. Maybe all our work did help but it just took some time to get it stable. 

I haven’t used any other router than deco in this apartment, where I moved in around 2 weeks ago. I can’t remember what router I had before. 

OK. I just had a lingering doubt that there might be another router in the picture, purely because I could not understand why your setup would not work well.

But that is clearly not the case . I hope it continues to work well. And yes, you cannot judge instantly when the system has been reconfigured.

Badge

Struggles now again, both in the sonos app and the spotify connect. bedroom and livingroom right is not playing.