Answered

Speakers no longer connect wirelessly

• 30 January 2021
  • 5 replies

My Sonos speakers have recently developed a frustrating behaviour, made worse after a Wi-Fi network change. 

My Sonos app will no longer find my speakers wirelessly stating ‘unable to connect to Sonos’. So I follow the instructions to setup the wireless network - and all speakers show when I set up a wired connection. But following a successful wireless  setup, the speakers immediately drop off the app when I disconnect the wired connection. This is repeatable behaviour. I have also deleted the old Wi-Fi network from my system configuration. 

I have 2 Play3 speakers, Soundbar and all updated software afaik. I’m running the latest Sonos app on up to date iOS. 

Can anybody help please leaving a speaker by the router isn’t ideal. 
Thanks. 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 1 March 2021, 17:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Woodlandk.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, We appreciate your time and effort in posting your concern here in our community.

Here's might be the missing steps you haven't tried yet.

You need to plug in one of the speakers to the ethernet cable again.

Next, go to Settings » System » Network » Wireless Setup.

Follow the instructions until it asks you to unplug the cable.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Hi Mark. While I appreciate the prompt reply, your suggestion is exactly the action I have detailed in my query as unsuccessful. 
Maybe I wasn’t clear enough, I have repeatedly tried the wireless setup process using an Ethernet cable. The process completes with no issues but my speakers still do not connect. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Woodlandk.

Thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community.

Can you submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos system while the ethernet cable is connected and reply back with your confirmation number?

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Badge

Sorry to hijack this thread but I am having the same issues with two play 5 and an arc. Tried all with Ethernet cable as well as WiFi. I am unable to connect to any using the app. As well as wire them to my router I’ve done the following: reset router, reset sonos app and reset each device.

my diagnostic number is 2059624191

edit: I restarted the app and it appeared to see one of my play 5 but I couldn’t play anything or see other devices. Diag number 153703886

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Woodlandk & @Chincha 

Are you still having this problem? If so, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team so they can guide you through adjusting router settings to make your WiFi network more Sonos friendly. 

If, however, you are comfortable logging into your router’s settings, please follow these guidelines:

1. Separate the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz bands by changing the SSID (network name) of 5GHz only - a simple -5 at the end will do.
  2. For 2.4 GHz settings, you should be on b/g compatibility with a width of 20MHz. (On BT routers in the UK, mode 2 instead of b/g)
  3. Smart Setup (or similar) should be off.
  4. If you have any WiFi boosters of extenders (Sky Q TV boxes included), turn them off to see if this improves matters. This does not include mesh systems.

If you can permanently connect any Sonos product (not necessarily the ones having the problem) to ethernet, this will allow all Sonos products you own (apart from the Sonos Move) to bypass your router’s WiFi completely. If your router is in a location where you don’t want a speaker you can purchase the Sonos Boost, but I recommend getting in touch with our technical support team before doing this.