Answered

speakers keep “rebooting” and unable to add them again

• 27 June 2021
  • 5 replies

I have a system with an ARC, 2 One SL’s and a SUB. It all started when I heard my sub popping every few minutes. I noticed it wasn’t connected to the room anymore. After a factory reset I finally was able to reconnect it. A few weeks later, the left surround speaker looked like it was rebooting all the time. Giving me a white led for a few minutes, then flashing white for a while, then off. I also had to factory reset it to reconnect it. Now another few weeks later, the same happened to my right surround speaker. Kept looping with factory reset, removing the surround speakers, trying to add the surround speakers again, then tried removing the sub. Eventually I wasn’t able to rejoin the surrounds with the ARC, but for some magical reason they seem to work again. But now I’m not able to add my SUB anymore and after trying to add it again, it started popping again every 2 or 3 minutes. I don’t understand what could be causing this but it really annoying. I think that I need someone to check my diagnostic file.. 

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 27 June 2021, 03:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

The Sonos HT surrounds and sub will connect to your network via your Sonos Arc, rather than connecting to your network AP - they use a 5Ghz Ad-hoc wireless connection to the main device. So I would suggest first to power down your Arc and surrounds/sub for a minute or so.

Check to see there isn’t anything nearby that may interfere with their signal/connection between the Arc & surrounds. Baby monitors nearby are one such example that can cause interference.

Perhaps if you have other wireless products nearby, then try putting those on your routers 2.4Ghz band to help reduce interference.

Power back on the devices starting with the Arc, then power on each surround and try connecting your Sub again and see if that works for you.

If you do have any Sonos products wired to your network, then reply back, as there are perhaps some other things you can perhaps check in that case.

Hope the power-cycling helps to solve your issues.

‘Popping’ from the SUB suggests a hardware issue with SUB. As a test, I suggest removing SUB from the surround system and powering down SUB. If you have another SONOS speaker that will support SUB, bond SUB to that speaker as a test.

Surrounds disappearing from the ARC system could be WiFi interference. I can also imagine that a SUB hardware issue might disrupt communication with ARC. For missing surrounds, try rebooting ARC.

Power cycling the ARC solved the issue. The SUB reconnected once I powered it back up after restarting the ARC (had to power it down since it didn’t respond to anything).

Regarding the interference: is there any frequency I should stay clear of? Because my AP is literally only 50cm (2 feet) away and I am a bit reluctant to switch back to 2.4 Ghz

The ‘best’ channel depends on your environment and this could vary by time of day or week, depending on your neighbors.

Power cycling the ARC solved the issue. The SUB reconnected once I powered it back up after restarting the ARC (had to power it down since it didn’t respond to anything).

Regarding the interference: is there any frequency I should stay clear of? Because my AP is literally only 50cm (2 feet) away and I am a bit reluctant to switch back to 2.4 Ghz

Most routers auto-select their 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi channels - so you could consider ‘fixing’ them on the router/AP to what they are now, as you have things now working okay. I would also try to move the AP away from the Arc, to reduce interference. I suggest 3 or 4 feet away.