Question

Speakers dropping out / audio jumping from speaker to speaker

• 16 September 2020
  • 3 replies

Hello,

This is a topic which seems to have been exhaustively explored on this forum, but here I am experiencing it too.

I have 8 Sonos speakers throughout my house. While streaming music on Spotify, at the beginning of a new track, one or more (much more often more than one) speakers will drop out, only to rejoin the network again 20-30 seconds later. It is HIGHLY annoying and has been going on for some time. It happens constantly, every single day.

I have tried just about everything. I’ve changed the wifi channel for Sonos. I changed my router’s wifi network channel. I completely disabled the 2.4 GHZ network on my router, so nothing is competing with Sonos in my home. I’ve used NetSpot to determine that there is very little wireless interference from neighbors on any of the available channels. I have assigned a static IP to every Sonos device on my router.

Any hope for me? I’ve submitted diagnostics; the number is 755719473.

Thanks!

3 replies

Oh, and further info: I am using a wired setup, where one of my Sonos Ones is connected directly to my router via an ethernet cable.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @ddepper.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post outlining the issue as well as the troubleshooting steps that you did, let me help and try to figure this out.

Upon checking the diagnostic report, sync errors and interferences around Sonos were detected by the system.

Commonly, this condition could be caused by wireless interference due to wireless congestion.

You may refer on the above article, it will help you reduce wireless interference around your Sonos products. 

• If I may ask, have you tried other music services if any, so we can isolate the issue?
  • Kindly try playing to just one room/player and see if the issue will occur.

If the above advice was followed and the issue persists, please submit a new diagnostic report, and reply with the confirmation number so I can review your system further and see if there’s anything else causing this issue.

Let us know how it goes, we’re always here to help.

Thank you for the reply!

To your questions, I can say:

I also use the service Qobuz, and I can confirm that this is the case when using this service as well.

I just submitted more diagnostics illustrating this, the number is 1698903838.

The problem seems to get worse as more speakers are grouped together. The problem almost never occurs when I am just playing music through one speaker. However, the entire reason I went with Sonos as my home listening solution is so I can have music throughout my house, so grouping speakers together is a necessity.

As for wireless interference - I believe that I have tried every step outlined in the article you have linked, and none seem to have any effect.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.