Answered

Speakers drop off

Badge +1

Is there a reason my speakers will random drop connection? I just had google come out to check my internet and wifi. It is all working. 

icon

Best answer by Jean C. 28 March 2020, 00:23

Hi @ctweichmann,

Hummmm. Everything should be able to connect fairly well here. I love the map, by the way, thank you.

Is there a utility room or HVAC system in your apartment or anything that could be posing an issue.  

If you play music to the Playbar&surrounds by itself, does the audio skip or drop at all? 

If you play a streaming music source to the TV Room by itself and the audio still drops or skips we can focus in on the connection between Sonos and the router. 

If you test playback on each room isolated, do any particular rooms perform worse than others? 

Just to clear the slate a bit, you may want to reboot your Google WiFi nodes and then power cycle each of your Sonos speakers before you continue testing. 

View original

17 replies

Badge +1

Hi @ctweichmann,

Hummmm. Everything should be able to connect fairly well here. I love the map, by the way, thank you.

Is there a utility room or HVAC system in your apartment or anything that could be posing an issue.  

If you play music to the Playbar&surrounds by itself, does the audio skip or drop at all? 

If you play a streaming music source to the TV Room by itself and the audio still drops or skips we can focus in on the connection between Sonos and the router. 

If you test playback on each room isolated, do any particular rooms perform worse than others? 

Just to clear the slate a bit, you may want to reboot your Google WiFi nodes and then power cycle each of your Sonos speakers before you continue testing. 

so they are acting terribly today…

conf: 1921287904

I just submitted diagnostics

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @ctweichmann,

Badge +1

Thank you @ctweichmann.

The connection to the rest of your system (Kitchen, Master Bed/Bath, Guest Room/Bath) from your TV room is pretty rough looking,.

Is the Playbar/TV Room  in another part of your house or do you have stone or plaster work that could be interfering with the communication?

Now that your Sonos system is operating in Sonosnet, you can change the channel to sidestep wireless interference.

In your local network environment, Channel 1 is extremely congested. Can you change the Sonosnet channel to 6 and then report back on the results?  

the playbar is in the living room… 

I switched to 6, and it is laggy c# 1617010154

The walls are sheetrock. here is the layout of my apartment.

|                           |

|          Master      |

|______        ___ |_____

|_M Ba_|       |                  |

|_G Ba_|       |                  |

|     K             |      Guest  |

|______|       |_________|___

|                                             |

|                            TV Room  | 

|______________________ |

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Thank you @ctweichmann.

The connection to the rest of your system (Kitchen, Master Bed/Bath, Guest Room/Bath) from your TV room is pretty rough looking,.

Is the Playbar/TV Room  in another part of your house or do you have stone or plaster work that could be interfering with the communication?

Now that your Sonos system is operating in Sonosnet, you can change the channel to sidestep wireless interference.

In your local network environment, Channel 1 is extremely congested. Can you change the Sonosnet channel to 6 and then report back on the results?  

Badge +1

Thanks for that, @ctweichmann.

I have a couple of questions about your system set-up that might help me understand how best to resolve your playback issue. 

Of your 9 Sonos units, are any of them located near enough to the Primary Google WiFi node to be hardwired via Ethernet for testing purposes?

If there are no near by players, can the Sonos One be temporarily brought down?

When a Sonos unit is wired in it will create its own mesh network and it may help mitigate both the wireless and physical interference present in your network environment.  

If you play music on an isolated room rather than a group of rooms, does this change anything in the stability of your playback?     

Okay, I plugged in the Playbar. it is close enough to hardwire. 

the problems have been happening when I select one speaker, one room, multiple zones, all zones…

I am submitting a new diagnostic now that it is plugged in.

Confirmation: 811973512

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Thanks for that, @ctweichmann.

I have a couple of questions about your system set-up that might help me understand how best to resolve your playback issue. 

Of your 9 Sonos units, are any of them located near enough to the Primary Google WiFi node to be hardwired via Ethernet for testing purposes?

If there are no near by players, can the Sonos One be temporarily brought down?

When a Sonos unit is wired in it will create its own mesh network and it may help mitigate both the wireless and physical interference present in your network environment.  

If you play music on an isolated room rather than a group of rooms, does this change anything in the stability of your playback?     

Badge +1

it just skipped a little…

confirmation 1179093100

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hello @ctweichmann,

Can you include or direct message me the confirmation number so that I can look up the report?

It also doesn’t hurt to have a diagnostic report from when the problem isn’t occurring so we can know what “normal” looks like.

Badge +1

Hello @ctweichmann,

Welcome to the Sonos community and thank you for reaching out with your connection issue.

Are you able to submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos app?

If so, can you comment here with the confirmation number so that we can try to figure out what is happening with your system?

I submitted one a couple of days ago.. I am waiting for them to error again, then I Was going to re-submit

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hello @ctweichmann,

Welcome to the Sonos community and thank you for reaching out with your connection issue.

Are you able to submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos app?

If so, can you comment here with the confirmation number so that we can try to figure out what is happening with your system?

Badge +1

Hi @ctweichmann 

Just because you are receiving an internet signal and your router is broadcasting a Wi-Fi signal doesn’t mean that you’re not experiencing Wi-Fi interference.  Let try changing your systems wireless channel to see if that helps. If not there are other things to consider. Click the link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1219?language=en_US

unfortunately, this isn’t the answer. With Google Fiber and the access points, you are unable to change the wireless channel. Soooo… I guess Google and Sonos don’t work together?

Badge +1

Hi @ctweichmann 

Just because you are receiving an internet signal and your router is broadcasting a Wi-Fi signal doesn’t mean that you’re not experiencing Wi-Fi interference.  Let try changing your systems wireless channel to see if that helps. If not there are other things to consider. Click the link:

I don’t have any devices hardwired in. 

Exactly, the point...You don’t have any speakers wired. Changing the channel in Sonos may help with interference to see if that is the cause. If no positive results there are other steps we can take.

so I have no clue what my IP address is. and when I go into the Google Fiber account, It says to go to NETWORK in the top left… that isn’t there. Neither are the three lines. 

So I have no clue how to do these steps. Within the sonos app the channels aren’t available to select.

Userlevel 7

Hi @ctweichmann 

Exactly, the point...You don’t have any speakers wired. Changing the channel in Sonos may help with interference to see if that is the cause. If no positive results there are other steps we can take.

Badge +1

Hi @ctweichmann 

Badge +1

“Google came out” - really? They have actual service techs? Wow.

yeah an actual human showed up to my place

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

“Google came out” - really? They have actual service techs? Wow.

Userlevel 7

Hi @ctweichmann