Speakers cutting out after Airplay 2 update

Userlevel 3
Badge
After I installed the airplay 2 update, my speakers are regularly cutting out (they never cut out before the update). I have airplay2 devices (sonos ones, playbase) but I am streaming directly from the sonos controller not using airplay2.

I submitted a diagnostic. 28029680

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

55 replies

Same issue, after installing the airplay2 update my system cuts out when before the update my connection was solid. Please send patch update to fix.
Userlevel 3
Badge
After I installed the airplay 2 update, my speakers are regularly cutting out (they never cut out before the update). I have airplay2 devices (sonos ones, playbase) but I am streaming directly from the sonos controller not using airplay2.

Thanks for sending in the diagnostic report. I see that your Sonos (L) unit is having a hard time sending all of the streaming data for your grouped players. There are some wireless communication errors which correspond to the audio dropping. Most of the time these errors are caused by wireless interference or network congestion. Please start by changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using and see if things improve.

If that doesn't help, try playing to a smaller group of players. Do you still get drops? You can also check for third party wireless devices which could be causing interference. Common sources of interference include cordless phones, wireless cameras, wireless baby monitors and wireless printers.

I tried all three channels - 1, 6, 11 and the interference persists. I'll try a smaller group and see how it performs.

Keep in mind, things were working without issue before the latest update (and started dropped right after it). Seems odd that this would be an issue of wireless interference since its an odd coincidence that my speakers have started to drop immediately following the update for both me and Zaza. Either way, will report back re how it works with the smaller group.
And as Akiryzon suggests, is there a way to go back to pre-Airplay2?
Userlevel 3
Badge
When I play my apple music playlist through the sonos app none of the speakers drop out. When I use airplay2 speakers drop. This isn't a wireless channel issue. I submitted a diagnostic 111858680

AirPlay can use 3X the WiFi bandwidth of a direct-streaming protocol as used by Sonos, Google Home and Amazon Echo. It's horribly inefficient, so it's very common for users to experience dropouts with AirPlay. IME, AirPlay 2 hasn't improved the dropout issue.

In my case, I'm not even using Airplay / Airplay 2 (direct playback via sonos controller / alexa) and am experiencing drop outs (often when changing tracks / starting playback) and only with the latest update (no issues before the update).
Userlevel 3
Badge
Finished a phone call with support. Waiting on a call back for further troubleshooting. We did discover that the problem appears to be isolated to when I skip tracks / initiate playback. So if I start playback, speakers randomly drop till everything is in sync then works without any issue ... until I manually skip tracks (either through Alexa or the sonos controller) and then there's a higher than even chance that speakers start dropping until they all get back in sync (which happens within 30 seconds) and are again without issue until another manual skip gets initiated.
Hi, folks, I have two large networks of Sonos equipment in two different locations. Just like the other posters here are experiencing, immediately after the latest update, neither network is even remotely stable. I have read all the replies about network connectivity, but not only is the wifi signal more than strong enough in both locations, but I absolutely did not have any problems before the update on either system. Right now, neither system is usable at all... no more than half of any one song will play before switching to another song, dropping out completely or loosing the connection to the music source. This happens grouped or not grouped, and when initiating playback on any one of the devices. As well, I have checked to make sure that every device has received the update. Again, there is more than adequate signal at each device. Echoing Jeff S.'s sentiments: Barring a fix, a roll-back would be great. This, because as it stands, listening to music via Sonos is like akin to listening to an infant playing with the needle on your favorite record... "Hey Junior, I think it's nap-time." 🙂 I'm excited for a fix, and I hope this finds everyone well. - S
Userlevel 1
Same here, did the update and experienced big breaks and latency issues after the Airplay update. System was stable prior...have done all manner of things for interference...channel assignments etc...seems some small hiccup has occurred to allow the airplay communication. THX Rusty
Userlevel 3
Badge
Hi Jeff S

OK ... so no luck with trying small groups ... still experiencing drop outs (whether the songs are initiated using alexa/sonos one or the sonos controller).

I understand you're trying to help. I'm frustrated by your response re wireless interference. Let me try to explain instead of ranting 🙂 From my case and reading others (caseman, player, zaza), all of us have experienced no drops before the update and only began experiencing drops after the update. Doesn't this suggest the culprit could be the update and not a coincidental emergence of newfound wireless interference across all four of us? Unless the update exposes sonos speakers to some other form of interference it wasn't susceptible to before? Is there a way to rollback to a previous version (pre airplay2)? That would very definitively point to whether the update is at fault or not.
Exactly the same issue here - all perfectly fine until the latest update - sigh!
Userlevel 3
Badge
Jeff S ... users that have replied to this thread have started experiencing problems immediately AFTER the update while having no issues before (including myself)!!

Re so many users having the update without issue ... many users don't have as big of a network of speakers as I suspect the users here have. The update might be impacting people with a large number of speakers (which are likely to be more profitable customers for you) only. It's really unfortunate that a rollback is not possible.

I have 10 play 1's / sonos 1's, a playbar, and a sub for example ... I suspect a relative minority of users have that large of a setup. Very importantly, it worked without issue before the update and has started consistent drop-outs (only on a track skip / play initation ... if I just play things and let tracks naturally progress from one to the other, there are no drops ... why would that be the case if network congestion is the issue ... anyways that's a side point) right after the update. Nothing else has changed in my network / surrounding network interference.

Importantly, have you internally tested such a large / larger configuration at your end with the latest update?
If you're having dropouts using AirPlay 2, it's likely due to the phone's network connection. We can help look into that with you too, so I'd also suggest giving us a call.

Thank you for your reply Ryan. I can see how an update could coincide with a change in channels or DHCP allocation and how difficult it is for you guys to make that point to users, because of course everyone says "It worked fine yesterday".

I've been building multi-room audio setups with Airplay for over 10 years myself and am relatively new to Sonos. When I first heard of Sonos getting Airplay support I was very excited but sceptic, and I'm sad to see it all break down after one day, in my case. Because I see the same pain as a lot of Airplay 1 networks face, I decided to add my comment, hoping Sonos will take these claims seriously and fix these issues or just make a clear statement of minimal bandwidth or network settings to get this to work properly.

I will try to have a look at network settings, static IP's and alternative wifi channels. This is not my own setup but that of a client. He's not using a phone, it's happening on an iMac with a steady connection and almost no other wifi devices around. It seems the same music is playing fine from the Sonos controller app by the way.

It would be nice for your clients/users to hear that Sonos engineers are looking into this, as the threads and replies about similar issues are stacking up, only days after the update. I will have a support call when I'm on site and will keep following this thread closely.
Same problem for me. Wired there is no problem but wifi continue to fail.
Same issue here. Everything worked great before update. Cutting out often now, especially with AirPlay.
When I play my apple music playlist through the sonos app none of the speakers drop out. When I use airplay2 speakers drop. This isn't a wireless channel issue. I submitted a diagnostic 111858680

AirPlay can use 3X the WiFi bandwidth of a direct-streaming protocol as used by Sonos, Google Home and Amazon Echo. It's horribly inefficient, so it's very common for users to experience dropouts with AirPlay. IME, AirPlay 2 hasn't improved the dropout issue.

I am doing a check of network traffic on my wifi router (RT-AC68R for reference). With sonos I was getting between 7 and 12 KB/s. With airplay 2 (also using a homepod pair in addition to the sonos speakers) I am a large variance. At the low end it is 20 KB/s and it spikes to 350 KB/s. Also when there is a new song the outgoing packets spike.
Looking at the HomePod pair by themselves without the sonos speakers. There is still a big variance. On the low end I see 8KB/s with spikes into the 200+ KB/s range. 350KB/s still isn't bad though. I wonder why the sonos speakers are dropping
Looking at the HomePod pair by themselves without the sonos speakers. There is still a big variance. On the low end I see 8KB/s with spikes into the 200+ KB/s range. 350KB/s still isn't bad though. I wonder why the sonos speakers are dropping

I did a bit more investigating with playing music through the sonos app and it also spikes to the 200 KB/s range. The difference is that the spikes happen much less frequently when playing music through the sonos app then with airplay 2.

As far as the speaker dropping, it seems that if I just play my Home pod pair and my play:5 gen 2 pair, I do not get dropped speakers. The speakers that drop are play:1's that I group with the play:5 Gen 2.
I’m having the same issue with songs cutting out halfway through since the AirPlay2 update. I Submitted diagnostics and made the recommended changes on my iPhone and it’s still not solved. My Sonos 1 is literally 12ft from my router, so I don’t buy this wireless interference crap they keep telling everyone. My Amazon Echo is in the same room and same distance and works flawlessly. This issue needs to be fixed ASAP because too many people have reported problems since the AirPlay2 update!
SOLVED!! I have gotten to the bottom of this... for me at least! I finally noticed that the one factor I was not accounting for. So, this problem had been happening regardless of which controller I initiated play from, but at all times my IOS controller was open. I just happened to close the controller on my iPhone, and the problem went away immediately. Encouraged, I updated my IOS and I no longer have a problem on either of my systems. I guess some dependency in the Sonos update was not getting what it needed from the older IOS version. Shame on me for not looking past the lowest hanging fruit before asking for help. I highly recommend updating your iPhone and trying again! I am happily bopping along to some of the worst Emo hits of the early nineties as we speak! - S
If you're having dropouts using AirPlay 2, it's likely due to the phone's network connection. We can help look into that with you too, so I'd also suggest giving us a call.

Thank you for your reply Ryan. I can see how an update could coincide with a change in channels or DHCP allocation and how difficult it is for you guys to make that point to users, because of course everyone says "It worked fine yesterday".

I've been building multi-room audio setups with Airplay for over 10 years myself and am relatively new to Sonos. When I first heard of Sonos getting Airplay support I was very excited but sceptic, and I'm sad to see it all break down after one day, in my case. Because I see the same pain as a lot of Airplay 1 networks face, I decided to add my comment, hoping Sonos will take these claims seriously and fix these issues or just make a clear statement of minimal bandwidth or network settings to get this to work properly.

I will try to have a look at network settings, static IP's and alternative wifi channels. This is not my own setup but that of a client. He's not using a phone, it's happening on an iMac with a steady connection and almost no other wifi devices around. It seems the same music is playing fine from the Sonos controller app by the way.

It would be nice for your clients/users to hear that Sonos engineers are looking into this, as the threads and replies about similar issues are stacking up, only days after the update. I will have a support call when I'm on site and will keep following this thread closely.

Quick update; I have contacted support who walked me thru all sorts of tests. After connecting one of speakers directly via ethernet, the problem on both speakers seemed to have vanished. This is because of the Sonos system then switching to it's own meshed network modus (Sonosnet?), bypassing the wifi network altogether. So conclusion; the problem seems to originate from the Router (fairly new Sitecom), or specifically the use of this router with Airplay 2. I could have gone into a whole settings tinkering to try (i.e. disabling Cloud security and disabling Airtime Fairness, etc) and get it to work properly, but I opted to add a Sonos Boost in this situation, as this will also make use of Sonosnet and both speakers can still be placed freely without a fysical network connection.

Hope this helps. I will let you know how this turns out when I have implemented this solution.
One note to add to this discussion for those with Airplay 2 and Sonos wireless issues: what worked for me, after some research, is what Gurney above alludes to: tweaking router settings. Having Sonos stop working on Airplay 2 installation may be in part due to changes in network demand for Airplay 2 (which presumably requires more network availability given it multicasts across different speakers in a building) interacting with your router.

Setting changes that worked for me with a mixed Sonos and Airplay 2 network, operating primarily through iOS wireless contact supported by an ASUS higher-end home router:

Make sure that ICMP snooping is turned on. If it's not, the router won't effectively keep track of Sonos traffic and route it consistently, and Sonos does not like that much.

Turn off Airtime Fairness. It's a load-balancer across the network but it tends to chop network access to lower-bandwidth audio applications and Sonos needs a consistent connection.

Make sure your SSIDs across your network are consistent. If the Sonos is on Network1 and your control device is on Network2, my experience is that, even with router bridging across the networks, the connection is unreliable.

Enable all WMM settings. Not 100% sure of this but it seems to help with dropped packets.

These changes resulted in stability for both Sonos and Airplay apps across a 6-point network with 3 wireless radios and 20+ devices accessing the network, including some low-latency demands like game consoles and high-bandwidth drivers like 4k TV-on-demand.

I hope this helps. If you aren't sure where those settings are in your router, there's a lot of good router config content out there -- try searching on some of the settings names plus your router brand.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for sending in the diagnostic report. I see that your Sonos (L) unit is having a hard time sending all of the streaming data for your grouped players. There are some wireless communication errors which correspond to the audio dropping. Most of the time these errors are caused by wireless interference or network congestion. Please start by changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using and see if things improve.

If that doesn't help, try playing to a smaller group of players. Do you still get drops? You can also check for third party wireless devices which could be causing interference. Common sources of interference include cordless phones, wireless cameras, wireless baby monitors and wireless printers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same issue, after installing the airplay2 update my system cuts out when before the update my connection was solid. Please send patch update to fix.

Hi zaza,

Audio cut outs are caused by wireless interference or other network issues preventing the streaming audio from keeping up with the playback, much like a video on YouTube that stops while buffering. If you send in a diagnostic report after you hear the issue, then reply with the confirmation number I can take a look for you.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Not sure if this is a clue .... so I've been trying with a smaller group. It seems to work fine when using the sonos controller directly to initiate playback .When I try to use my Sonos One's and ask "Alexa, play" ... I get a message along the lines of resuming playing on spotify. Sorry that device is offline. (not sure which device is offline) Then, I ask it to play on that specific speaker's name (the one I am talking to), and it starts but the drops now come back.

EDIT: Also, not 100% sure if this necessarily is the case always ... just noticed it as I was testing smaller groups. Will keep playing music on a smaller group and report back.