Speakers cutting out after Airplay 2 update

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

55 replies

If you're having dropouts using AirPlay 2, it's likely due to the phone's network connection. We can help look into that with you too, so I'd also suggest giving us a call.

Thank you for your reply Ryan. I can see how an update could coincide with a change in channels or DHCP allocation and how difficult it is for you guys to make that point to users, because of course everyone says "It worked fine yesterday".

I've been building multi-room audio setups with Airplay for over 10 years myself and am relatively new to Sonos. When I first heard of Sonos getting Airplay support I was very excited but sceptic, and I'm sad to see it all break down after one day, in my case. Because I see the same pain as a lot of Airplay 1 networks face, I decided to add my comment, hoping Sonos will take these claims seriously and fix these issues or just make a clear statement of minimal bandwidth or network settings to get this to work properly.

I will try to have a look at network settings, static IP's and alternative wifi channels. This is not my own setup but that of a client. He's not using a phone, it's happening on an iMac with a steady connection and almost no other wifi devices around. It seems the same music is playing fine from the Sonos controller app by the way.

It would be nice for your clients/users to hear that Sonos engineers are looking into this, as the threads and replies about similar issues are stacking up, only days after the update. I will have a support call when I'm on site and will keep following this thread closely.

Quick update; I have contacted support who walked me thru all sorts of tests. After connecting one of speakers directly via ethernet, the problem on both speakers seemed to have vanished. This is because of the Sonos system then switching to it's own meshed network modus (Sonosnet?), bypassing the wifi network altogether. So conclusion; the problem seems to originate from the Router (fairly new Sitecom), or specifically the use of this router with Airplay 2. I could have gone into a whole settings tinkering to try (i.e. disabling Cloud security and disabling Airtime Fairness, etc) and get it to work properly, but I opted to add a Sonos Boost in this situation, as this will also make use of Sonosnet and both speakers can still be placed freely without a fysical network connection.

Hope this helps. I will let you know how this turns out when I have implemented this solution.
One note to add to this discussion for those with Airplay 2 and Sonos wireless issues: what worked for me, after some research, is what Gurney above alludes to: tweaking router settings. Having Sonos stop working on Airplay 2 installation may be in part due to changes in network demand for Airplay 2 (which presumably requires more network availability given it multicasts across different speakers in a building) interacting with your router.

Setting changes that worked for me with a mixed Sonos and Airplay 2 network, operating primarily through iOS wireless contact supported by an ASUS higher-end home router:

Make sure that ICMP snooping is turned on. If it's not, the router won't effectively keep track of Sonos traffic and route it consistently, and Sonos does not like that much.

Turn off Airtime Fairness. It's a load-balancer across the network but it tends to chop network access to lower-bandwidth audio applications and Sonos needs a consistent connection.

Make sure your SSIDs across your network are consistent. If the Sonos is on Network1 and your control device is on Network2, my experience is that, even with router bridging across the networks, the connection is unreliable.

Enable all WMM settings. Not 100% sure of this but it seems to help with dropped packets.

These changes resulted in stability for both Sonos and Airplay apps across a 6-point network with 3 wireless radios and 20+ devices accessing the network, including some low-latency demands like game consoles and high-bandwidth drivers like 4k TV-on-demand.

I hope this helps. If you aren't sure where those settings are in your router, there's a lot of good router config content out there -- try searching on some of the settings names plus your router brand.
Same issue here. Sonos One's and Beam both having issues cutting out over airplay. No issues before. No issues playing from the Sonos app to the speakers.
After I installed the airplay 2 update, my speakers are regularly cutting out (they never cut out before the update). I have airplay2 devices (sonos ones, playbase) but I am streaming directly from the sonos controller not using airplay2.

I submitted a diagnostic. 28029680

I’m having this issue - no TV a projector and using airplay2 for sound - lots of dropouts
After I installed the airplay 2 update, my speakers are regularly cutting out (they never cut out before the update). I have airplay2 devices (sonos ones, playbase) but I am streaming directly from the sonos controller not using airplay2.

I submitted a diagnostic. 28029680

I’m having this issue - no TV a projector and using airplay2 for sound - lots of dropouts

Your confirmation number is: 61182366.