Speakers cutting out after Airplay 2 update

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

55 replies

Hi, folks, I have two large networks of Sonos equipment in two different locations. Just like the other posters here are experiencing, immediately after the latest update, neither network is even remotely stable. I have read all the replies about network connectivity, but not only is the wifi signal more than strong enough in both locations, but I absolutely did not have any problems before the update on either system. Right now, neither system is usable at all... no more than half of any one song will play before switching to another song, dropping out completely or loosing the connection to the music source. This happens grouped or not grouped, and when initiating playback on any one of the devices. As well, I have checked to make sure that every device has received the update. Again, there is more than adequate signal at each device. Echoing Jeff S.'s sentiments: Barring a fix, a roll-back would be great. This, because as it stands, listening to music via Sonos is like akin to listening to an infant playing with the needle on your favorite record... "Hey Junior, I think it's nap-time." 🙂 I'm excited for a fix, and I hope this finds everyone well. - S
Userlevel 1
Same here, did the update and experienced big breaks and latency issues after the Airplay update. System was stable prior...have done all manner of things for interference...channel assignments etc...seems some small hiccup has occurred to allow the airplay communication. THX Rusty
I’m having the same issue with songs cutting out halfway through since the AirPlay2 update. I Submitted diagnostics and made the recommended changes on my iPhone and it’s still not solved. My Sonos 1 is literally 12ft from my router, so I don’t buy this wireless interference crap they keep telling everyone. My Amazon Echo is in the same room and same distance and works flawlessly. This issue needs to be fixed ASAP because too many people have reported problems since the AirPlay2 update!
Badge
Exact same problem here. Single room 5.1 setup with a Boost within 10 feet from all the speakers. Before the update dropouts were rare and if they happened would be limited to the Play 1s, but now it’s the Playbar that’s cutting out?! It’s connected directly to the TV via optical, so I’m truly at a loss as to how this is happening. Diagnostic reference is 1614156598.
I am seeing a variant of this - since the AirPlay2 update, I'm getting intermittent dropouts of one channel (I have two Sonos Ones in a stereo pair) only when using AirPlay2, not when using the Sonos controller. I can't try changing the channel of my wifi network since I'm using three Eero's, and the Eero software auto-picks a channel with no way to override it. I doubt I am suddenly getting interference when the Eero the speakers are connected to is a couple of feet from the pair.

Diagnostic Id: 1186146457.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Is Sonos even REMOTELY concerned with issuing a fix?
This will be a NIGHTMARE for Sonos execs if Sonos goes public with this unresolved news - that will undoubtedly hit investors (along with poor hardware quality of logic boards as per the recent Echo vs Sonos tear-down).
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Exact same problem here. Single room 5.1 setup with a Boost within 10 feet from all the speakers. Before the update dropouts were rare and if they happened would be limited to the Play 1s, but now it’s the Playbar that’s cutting out?! It’s connected directly to the TV via optical, so I’m truly at a loss as to how this is happening. Diagnostic reference is 1614156598.

Hi there,

Thanks for sending in the report. There's some wireless interference showing up causing a few communication errors between your Sonos units. This is likely the reason for the audio issues. Please try changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using an see if that helps.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am seeing a variant of this - since the AirPlay2 update, I'm getting intermittent dropouts of one channel (I have two Sonos Ones in a stereo pair) only when using AirPlay2, not when using the Sonos controller. I can't try changing the channel of my wifi network since I'm using three Eero's, and the Eero software auto-picks a channel with no way to override it. I doubt I am suddenly getting interference when the Eero the speakers are connected to is a couple of feet from the pair.

Hi there,

In your report I see that there are many other wireless networks in range running on the same channel as your own. This is causing your Sonos units to lose connection from time to time, and is likely the reason for the issues you've described. Please try changing your router's wireless channel from 1, which is quite crowded, to 6 or 11, which are much more open.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Is Sonos even REMOTELY concerned with issuing a fix?
This will be a NIGHTMARE for Sonos execs if Sonos goes public with this unresolved news - that will undoubtedly hit investors (along with poor hardware quality of logic boards as per the recent Echo vs Sonos tear-down).

Hi there,

There is no known issue with the update and many folks are using the new version without issue. What kind of issues are you seeing? Please submit a diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number, I'll take a look for you.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Jeff S ... users that have replied to this thread have started experiencing problems immediately AFTER the update while having no issues before (including myself)!!

Re so many users having the update without issue ... many users don't have as big of a network of speakers as I suspect the users here have. The update might be impacting people with a large number of speakers (which are likely to be more profitable customers for you) only. It's really unfortunate that a rollback is not possible.

I have 10 play 1's / sonos 1's, a playbar, and a sub for example ... I suspect a relative minority of users have that large of a setup. Very importantly, it worked without issue before the update and has started consistent drop-outs (only on a track skip / play initation ... if I just play things and let tracks naturally progress from one to the other, there are no drops ... why would that be the case if network congestion is the issue ... anyways that's a side point) right after the update. Nothing else has changed in my network / surrounding network interference.

Importantly, have you internally tested such a large / larger configuration at your end with the latest update?
I'm also experiencing dropouts via Airplay 2 when before the update there was no problem playing via native Sonos. I'd really love to use Airplay because I like to use iTunes more than the Sonos controller apps. Strange thing is that Airplay 1 always had the issue of being too big of a load on many 2.4GHz wireless networks. With AirPlay 2 you would think that Apple and the Sonos guys would have perfected the protocol by now, but as this tread shows, more and more people are reporting this problem now on their Sonos, which has always been rock solid.

I urge everyone with this problem who reads this to add feedback. The bigger this issue becomes, the faster we will get a fix. I hope Sonos and Apple get this problem asap!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Jeff S ... users that have replied to this thread have started experiencing problems immediately AFTER the update while having no issues before (including myself)!!

Re so many users having the update without issue ... many users don't have as big of a network of speakers as I suspect the users here have. The update might be impacting people with a large number of speakers (which are likely to be more profitable customers for you) only. It's really unfortunate that a rollback is not possible.

I have 10 play 1's / sonos 1's, a playbar, and a sub for example ... I suspect a relative minority of users have that large of a setup. Very importantly, it worked without issue before the update and has started consistent drop-outs (only on a track skip / play initation ... if I just play things and let tracks naturally progress from one to the other, there are no drops ... why would that be the case if network congestion is the issue ... anyways that's a side point) right after the update. Nothing else has changed in my network / surrounding network interference.

Importantly, have you internally tested such a large / larger configuration at your end with the latest update?

Some great points here, and I'll jump in for Jeff today. The biggest cause of audio cutouts is usually network trouble and wireless interference, so that's almost always where to start with. And when it comes to audio trouble after an update, it's almost always because the network had a change or problem as a result of your Sonos devices all rebooting. Rolling back the software wouldn't be a solution, as that would only cause another update, which could potentially cause further problems than you're already experiencing.

I've seen routers on auto-channeling decide to change to the Sonos wireless channel while they're rebooting, causing system mayhem. Sometimes a router is just not handing out IP addresses properly, and that's why many community regularly suggest setting DHCP reservations or just doing a full network reboot.

Wireless interference is a huge percentage of the cause of audio cutouts. If the music is sometimes getting blocked because there's too much noise out there, you get stuttering. And we can help sort that out. I'd highly suggest to anyone who is having trouble that they give us a call on our support line and work with a technician to clear the network up. If there is a problem with an update, we'd love to find it and fix it, and that requires people who are experiencing trouble to contact us and help troubleshoot.

I'm also experiencing dropouts via Airplay 2 when before the update there was no problem playing via native Sonos. I'd really love to use Airplay because I like to use iTunes more than the Sonos controller apps. Strange thing is that Airplay 1 always had the issue of being too big of a load on many 2.4GHz wireless networks. With AirPlay 2 you would think that Apple and the Sonos guys would have perfected the protocol by now, but as this tread shows, more and more people are reporting this problem now on their Sonos, which has always been rock solid.

I urge everyone with this problem who reads this to add feedback. The bigger this issue becomes, the faster we will get a fix. I hope Sonos and Apple get this problem asap!

If you're having dropouts using AirPlay 2, it's likely due to the phone's network connection. We can help look into that with you too, so I'd also suggest giving us a call.
If you're having dropouts using AirPlay 2, it's likely due to the phone's network connection. We can help look into that with you too, so I'd also suggest giving us a call.

Thank you for your reply Ryan. I can see how an update could coincide with a change in channels or DHCP allocation and how difficult it is for you guys to make that point to users, because of course everyone says "It worked fine yesterday".

I've been building multi-room audio setups with Airplay for over 10 years myself and am relatively new to Sonos. When I first heard of Sonos getting Airplay support I was very excited but sceptic, and I'm sad to see it all break down after one day, in my case. Because I see the same pain as a lot of Airplay 1 networks face, I decided to add my comment, hoping Sonos will take these claims seriously and fix these issues or just make a clear statement of minimal bandwidth or network settings to get this to work properly.

I will try to have a look at network settings, static IP's and alternative wifi channels. This is not my own setup but that of a client. He's not using a phone, it's happening on an iMac with a steady connection and almost no other wifi devices around. It seems the same music is playing fine from the Sonos controller app by the way.

It would be nice for your clients/users to hear that Sonos engineers are looking into this, as the threads and replies about similar issues are stacking up, only days after the update. I will have a support call when I'm on site and will keep following this thread closely.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The team is always looking into ways to make stability and functionality improvements, along with testing old and new software/hardware. It really helps for people who are having problems to contact our support teams so that we can get good information about what's happening, in most cases, it's environmental and a unique problem associated with the household itself. That said, if lots of people have problems with a certain type of router or wireless broadcaster, we know to look closer into that device to see if it's not performing correctly.

For example, if the rest of the network is performing well, and the Sonos music is playing great through our app, than your system's network connecting is probably just fine, and I'd be looking at the source of the music at your client's place, in this case, his Mac. If it's wireless, see if it could be wired in and if the problem persists. Alternatively, make sure the OS is fully updated, there are some very recent updates to the AirPlay 2 performance on Macs. And feel free to give us a call while you're there.
Thanks Jeff,

I just checked and there are three(!) new wifi networks showing up near my house that weren't there two weeks ago - I'm guessing one of them is causing the noise and just happened to be installed about the time the AirPlay2 update came out. The eeros should adapt to a less noisy channel, but it takes them a while to react to new interference. (They actually use channels 1 through 9, but advertise channel 1 in the beacon)

Hi there,

In your report I see that there are many other wireless networks in range running on the same channel as your own. This is causing your Sonos units to lose connection from time to time, and is likely the reason for the issues you've described. Please try changing your router's wireless channel from 1, which is quite crowded, to 6 or 11, which are much more open.
Playing music through Sonos controller and iPhone Apple Music > AirPlay 2 > Sonos One’s I have no drop outs. But when I use my Apple TV (straight, not AirPlaying from iPhone) and select the Sonos One’s though the audio output menu, it’ll buffer then play which is understandable, but the audio will intermittently drop out every 1-2 minutes or so for about 1-3 seconds. Maddening. I’ve also had instances of sync being off, but a pause/play fixes that temporarily.
I love that AirPlay 2 has arrived but I think some bugs need to be ironed out. Any solutions for this so far? I’ve read about checking WiFi channels etc but no dice, thanks for any info. Look forward to updates for Apple TV usage. Thanks!
Diagnostic #827816102
Userlevel 3
Badge
Rolling back the software wouldn't be a solution, as that would only cause another update, which could potentially cause further problems than you're already experiencing.

Sorry ... does that mean rolling back is possible? I'm not looking at a rollback as a solution but as a test. If I can roll back the latest software update and the problems with dropping speakers dissapears, then we definitively know one of the causes.

I spoke with a senior tech (Robbie) on Friday and was supposed to hear back after he consulted with an engineer ... still no word though? Have sent an email inquiring but haven't received a response. He ran tests where we pinged multiple speakers with large packets and encountered no noticeable degradation (even as speakers began dropping) which suggests network congestion isn't the explanation (at least not a complete explanation).
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Rolling back the software wouldn't be a solution, as that would only cause another update, which could potentially cause further problems than you're already experiencing.

Sorry ... does that mean rolling back is possible? I'm not looking at a rollback as a solution but as a test. If I can roll back the latest software update and the problems with dropping speakers dissapears, then we definitively know one of the causes.

I spoke with a senior tech (Robbie) on Friday and was supposed to hear back after he consulted with an engineer ... still no word though? Have sent an email inquiring but haven't received a response. He ran tests where we pinged multiple speakers with large packets and encountered no noticeable degradation (even as speakers began dropping) which suggests network congestion isn't the explanation (at least not a complete explanation).

Glad to hear you're working with Robbie, he'll help you get to the bottom of the issue. Rolling back isn't an option, I was simply saying that if it were, it wouldn't solve any problems. If possible, rolling back software updates could potentially cause a lot more issues than the data point would be worth. It's better to find what's going wrong now, and get it fixed. Odds are, it's localized, but if it is software based, rolling back would be akin to declaring defeat as opposed to finding a bug and fixing it.
Variant of the issue here. I have two Sonos Ones in a stereo pair. The speakers play fine with my Apple TV as long as it’s continuous playback. Then when I start playing the next day or couple hours later I have to switch the WiFi channel to get sound. Then as long as it’s continuous they work. Essentially every time I fire up the Apple TV I have to switch WiFi channels to get sound.
Badge
I’m having TONS of dropouts on grouped speakers when my TV is the source. This is an old problem that seemed to have been addressed. But it also seems the Airplay update brought it back. Diagnostic 844444261
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I’m having TONS of dropouts on grouped speakers when my TV is the source. This is an old problem that seemed to have been addressed. But it also seems the Airplay update brought it back. Diagnostic 844444261
Hi Murphy, sending TV audio across the network wirelessly to grouped players is probably the number one most exhaustive use of the network, which means it has a lower margin for tolerance of instability. I'd suggest that you giving us a call and we can help take a closer look at the network and what can best be improved to make it run smoother.
SOLVED!! I have gotten to the bottom of this... for me at least! I finally noticed that the one factor I was not accounting for. So, this problem had been happening regardless of which controller I initiated play from, but at all times my IOS controller was open. I just happened to close the controller on my iPhone, and the problem went away immediately. Encouraged, I updated my IOS and I no longer have a problem on either of my systems. I guess some dependency in the Sonos update was not getting what it needed from the older IOS version. Shame on me for not looking past the lowest hanging fruit before asking for help. I highly recommend updating your iPhone and trying again! I am happily bopping along to some of the worst Emo hits of the early nineties as we speak! - S
I found an easy way to reduce sonos speaker dropouts while using airplay2. I bought homepods to replace the play:1s I had grouped with the play:5 2nd gen I am using with airplay2. Funny how they play:1s only cut out with airplay2 and funny how the homepods do not drop out.

The only Sonos speakers I am using with Airplay2 are the Play:5 pair and a Playbar, Sub, and 2 play:3 that are the rear speakers. It is strange though, when I had them grouped with the Play:5, the Paybar combo would drop out but since that combo is connected to an Apple TV, I can use Airplay2 by selecting the Apple TV and it doesn't cutout that way.

There is obviously and issue with the non airplay2 Sonos speakers that are grouped with Airplay2 compatible speakers. They drop out when grouped that way. But whatever, I like the sound of the HomePods more then the old Play:1s anyway.
This issue has rendered my Sonos Ones useless to me. I bought them because of Airplay 2 compatibly. They clearly aren’t compatible. What do I do now?
I’m having similar issues with dropouts. I have a new play 5 and 3 HomePods. I’ve moved the play 5 close to the router and changed the wireless channel to 1. Have everything on 2.4ghz. The Sonos will still fall out of sync with the HomePods, usually when I’m adjusting speaker volumes through the music widget. It’s seems worse when I’ve used Hey Siri to start playing tracks. It’s disappointing because the the sounds is amazing when it works.