Speakers cutting out after Airplay 2 update

Userlevel 3
Badge
After I installed the airplay 2 update, my speakers are regularly cutting out (they never cut out before the update). I have airplay2 devices (sonos ones, playbase) but I am streaming directly from the sonos controller not using airplay2.

I submitted a diagnostic. 28029680

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

55 replies

Same issue, after installing the airplay2 update my system cuts out when before the update my connection was solid. Please send patch update to fix.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
After I installed the airplay 2 update, my speakers are regularly cutting out (they never cut out before the update). I have airplay2 devices (sonos ones, playbase) but I am streaming directly from the sonos controller not using airplay2.

Thanks for sending in the diagnostic report. I see that your Sonos (L) unit is having a hard time sending all of the streaming data for your grouped players. There are some wireless communication errors which correspond to the audio dropping. Most of the time these errors are caused by wireless interference or network congestion. Please start by changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using and see if things improve.

If that doesn't help, try playing to a smaller group of players. Do you still get drops? You can also check for third party wireless devices which could be causing interference. Common sources of interference include cordless phones, wireless cameras, wireless baby monitors and wireless printers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same issue, after installing the airplay2 update my system cuts out when before the update my connection was solid. Please send patch update to fix.

Hi zaza,

Audio cut outs are caused by wireless interference or other network issues preventing the streaming audio from keeping up with the playback, much like a video on YouTube that stops while buffering. If you send in a diagnostic report after you hear the issue, then reply with the confirmation number I can take a look for you.
Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks for sending in the diagnostic report. I see that your Sonos (L) unit is having a hard time sending all of the streaming data for your grouped players. There are some wireless communication errors which correspond to the audio dropping. Most of the time these errors are caused by wireless interference or network congestion. Please start by changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using and see if things improve.

If that doesn't help, try playing to a smaller group of players. Do you still get drops? You can also check for third party wireless devices which could be causing interference. Common sources of interference include cordless phones, wireless cameras, wireless baby monitors and wireless printers.

I tried all three channels - 1, 6, 11 and the interference persists. I'll try a smaller group and see how it performs.

Keep in mind, things were working without issue before the latest update (and started dropped right after it). Seems odd that this would be an issue of wireless interference since its an odd coincidence that my speakers have started to drop immediately following the update for both me and Zaza. Either way, will report back re how it works with the smaller group.
Same problem for me. Wired there is no problem but wifi continue to fail.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Not sure if this is a clue .... so I've been trying with a smaller group. It seems to work fine when using the sonos controller directly to initiate playback .When I try to use my Sonos One's and ask "Alexa, play" ... I get a message along the lines of resuming playing on spotify. Sorry that device is offline. (not sure which device is offline) Then, I ask it to play on that specific speaker's name (the one I am talking to), and it starts but the drops now come back.

EDIT: Also, not 100% sure if this necessarily is the case always ... just noticed it as I was testing smaller groups. Will keep playing music on a smaller group and report back.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same problem for me. Wired there is no problem but wifi continue to fail.

Hi caseman,

Here's a great thread which has some steps to help reduce audio interruptions.

If those steps don't help, please submit a diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number.
Badge +1
Same problem... One + 2 Play1 .Sound cutting out and now airplay can't even connect .Alexa acknowledge request to play radio station but nothing happen .Before update everything was fine .
btw.... Takes waaaay too long for you tube to start video. Diagnostic code 48106798
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same problem... One + 2 Play1 .Sound cutting out and now airplay can't even connect .Alexa acknowledge request to play radio station but nothing happen .Before update everything was fine .
btw.... Takes waaaay too long for you tube to start video. Diagnostic code 48106798

Hi player,

Your Sonos speakers are having a hard time staying connected to your wireless network. This could be due to wireless interference. Please try changing the channel on your router from 6 to 1 or 11 and see if that helps.
Badge +1

Hi player,

Your Sonos speakers are having a hard time staying connected to your wireless network. This could be due to wireless interference. Please try changing the channel on your router from 6 to 1 or 11 and see if that helps.

Thank you for express help . I will try.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Hi Jeff S

OK ... so no luck with trying small groups ... still experiencing drop outs (whether the songs are initiated using alexa/sonos one or the sonos controller).

I understand you're trying to help. I'm frustrated by your response re wireless interference. Let me try to explain instead of ranting 🙂 From my case and reading others (caseman, player, zaza), all of us have experienced no drops before the update and only began experiencing drops after the update. Doesn't this suggest the culprit could be the update and not a coincidental emergence of newfound wireless interference across all four of us? Unless the update exposes sonos speakers to some other form of interference it wasn't susceptible to before? Is there a way to rollback to a previous version (pre airplay2)? That would very definitively point to whether the update is at fault or not.
Same issue here. Everything worked great before update. Cutting out often now, especially with AirPlay.
When I play my apple music playlist through the sonos app none of the speakers drop out. When I use airplay2 speakers drop. This isn't a wireless channel issue. I submitted a diagnostic 111858680
When I play my apple music playlist through the sonos app none of the speakers drop out. When I use airplay2 speakers drop. This isn't a wireless channel issue. I submitted a diagnostic 111858680

AirPlay can use 3X the WiFi bandwidth of a direct-streaming protocol as used by Sonos, Google Home and Amazon Echo. It's horribly inefficient, so it's very common for users to experience dropouts with AirPlay. IME, AirPlay 2 hasn't improved the dropout issue.
Exactly the same issue here - all perfectly fine until the latest update - sigh!
And as Akiryzon suggests, is there a way to go back to pre-Airplay2?
Userlevel 3
Badge

AirPlay can use 3X the WiFi bandwidth of a direct-streaming protocol as used by Sonos, Google Home and Amazon Echo. It's horribly inefficient, so it's very common for users to experience dropouts with AirPlay. IME, AirPlay 2 hasn't improved the dropout issue.

In my case, I'm not even using Airplay / Airplay 2 (direct playback via sonos controller / alexa) and am experiencing drop outs (often when changing tracks / starting playback) and only with the latest update (no issues before the update).
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Jeff S

OK ... so no luck with trying small groups ... still experiencing drop outs (whether the songs are initiated using alexa/sonos one or the sonos controller).

I understand you're trying to help. I'm frustrated by your response re wireless interference. Let me try to explain instead of ranting 🙂 From my case and reading others (caseman, player, zaza), all of us have experienced no drops before the update and only began experiencing drops after the update. Doesn't this suggest the culprit could be the update and not a coincidental emergence of newfound wireless interference across all four of us? Unless the update exposes sonos speakers to some other form of interference it wasn't susceptible to before? Is there a way to rollback to a previous version (pre airplay2)? That would very definitively point to whether the update is at fault or not.

At this point it would be best to work with our phone team who can take a look at this issue live. Please call us up, you can find our phone number and hours here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi everyone,

There is nothing specific in the update that causes audio drop outs. As Chicks mentioned above, Airplay 2 uses much more bandwidth than normal music playback. This can lead to audio drops and other issues that do not show up normally. Check out the steps in this guide for some great troubleshooting suggestions.

If that guide doesn't do the trick, or if you'd prefer, please reach out to our phone team who can take a deeper look at your systems. You can find our phone number and hours here.

I am doing a check of network traffic on my wifi router (RT-AC68R for reference). With sonos I was getting between 7 and 12 KB/s. With airplay 2 (also using a homepod pair in addition to the sonos speakers) I am a large variance. At the low end it is 20 KB/s and it spikes to 350 KB/s. Also when there is a new song the outgoing packets spike.
Looking at the HomePod pair by themselves without the sonos speakers. There is still a big variance. On the low end I see 8KB/s with spikes into the 200+ KB/s range. 350KB/s still isn't bad though. I wonder why the sonos speakers are dropping
Userlevel 3
Badge
Hi everyone,

There is nothing specific in the update that causes audio drop outs. As Chicks mentioned above, Airplay 2 uses much more bandwidth than normal music playback. This can lead to audio drops and other issues that do not show up normally. Check out the steps in this guide for some great troubleshooting suggestions.

If that guide doesn't do the trick, or if you'd prefer, please reach out to our phone team who can take a deeper look at your systems. You can find our phone number and hours here.

Hi Jeff

Another clue ... I notice that almost all the drop-outs are happening when I manually start music or skip to the next track. Once everything is in-sync, drop outs are rare (never?). Also, I am not using AIrplay 2
Userlevel 3
Badge
Hi Jeff S

At this point it would be best to work with our phone team who can take a look at this issue live. Please call us up, you can find our phone number and hours here.

Is there an option for a callback (I figure not since I couldn't find one on the site ... figured doesn't hurt to ask)? The wait time seems very long right now.
Looking at the HomePod pair by themselves without the sonos speakers. There is still a big variance. On the low end I see 8KB/s with spikes into the 200+ KB/s range. 350KB/s still isn't bad though. I wonder why the sonos speakers are dropping

I did a bit more investigating with playing music through the sonos app and it also spikes to the 200 KB/s range. The difference is that the spikes happen much less frequently when playing music through the sonos app then with airplay 2.

As far as the speaker dropping, it seems that if I just play my Home pod pair and my play:5 gen 2 pair, I do not get dropped speakers. The speakers that drop are play:1's that I group with the play:5 Gen 2.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Finished a phone call with support. Waiting on a call back for further troubleshooting. We did discover that the problem appears to be isolated to when I skip tracks / initiate playback. So if I start playback, speakers randomly drop till everything is in sync then works without any issue ... until I manually skip tracks (either through Alexa or the sonos controller) and then there's a higher than even chance that speakers start dropping until they all get back in sync (which happens within 30 seconds) and are again without issue until another manual skip gets initiated.