Answered

Speakers cutting in and out, even in the same room

• 9 April 2018
  • 9 replies

Hello - have been having the same issue as many others, who have posted about speakers just cutting out frequently. In my case, this happens to speakers in the same room, while rooms upstairs still play. I started with a Boost, which didn’t solve the problem. I then connected to my WiFi network and shut off the Boost. Same problem. I then read a Sonos staff post on this site so I hard wired my Soundbar to my router using an Ethernet cable - that didn’t work either. I am now not sure what to do. This problem has been happening for many months and I am ready to toss the system I spent a lot of money on out the window as it used to work with no issue but not can’t even play music consistently with the speakers in the same room.

Diagnostic code = 952119553
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 10 April 2018, 23:23

In less than an hour, the sub and play 1 surrounds in the same room as the play bar are dropping out again after taking the steps noted above. What next? New diagnostic code is 1171134195

Hi tmw0111,

Your PLAYBAR is having a hard time communicating wirelessly to the rest of your Sonos system. As you had the same issue with your BOOST, I'd guess this is likely due to wireless interference. Please try changing the wireless channel on your Sonos system.

Currently you have 10 Sonos players grouped together. This increases the bandwidth needed and may be a factor. Do you have the same issues when using fewer speakers?

It may also help to make sure your BOOST or PLAYBAR are not too close to your router as your router's wireless signal could interfere. Also, look around and in between your Sonos units for third party wireless electronics. Devices such as cordless phone bases, wireless cameras and wireless baby monitors can cause interference with the Sonos wireless.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Quick update. I found this article on Sonos.com(https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1072/~/replaced-your-router-or-changed-wifi-settings%3F), which suggested unplugging all Sonos components, replugging in the Soundbar to power and to my router through Ethernet, and then plug back in each speaker. After reattaching 14 speakers, everything seems to be playing fine now. Will report back if the problem reappears.
In less than an hour, the sub and play 1 surrounds in the same room as the play bar are dropping out again after taking the steps noted above. What next? New diagnostic code is 1171134195
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi tmw0111,

Your PLAYBAR is having a hard time communicating wirelessly to the rest of your Sonos system. As you had the same issue with your BOOST, I'd guess this is likely due to wireless interference. Please try changing the wireless channel on your Sonos system.

Currently you have 10 Sonos players grouped together. This increases the bandwidth needed and may be a factor. Do you have the same issues when using fewer speakers?

It may also help to make sure your BOOST or PLAYBAR are not too close to your router as your router's wireless signal could interfere. Also, look around and in between your Sonos units for third party wireless electronics. Devices such as cordless phone bases, wireless cameras and wireless baby monitors can cause interference with the Sonos wireless.
I'm having the same issue - have 2 sonos ONES and Play 1 - in different corners of our office but keep cutting in and out.
Diagnostics code 673834815.
I'm having the same issue - have 2 sonos ONES and Play 1 - in different corners of our office but keep cutting in and out.

Please help, it's driving me nuts! I'm so over this, I never want to purchase Sonos again..
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If you are in a hurry for an answer these forums aren't the place to be. Try the Sonos Twitter that is staffed 24x7 or hit the phone lines when they open in your area.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for sending in the report. One of your speakers isn't showing up, meaning it has lost communication with your wireless network. The Kitchen unit is there. There are quite a few networks in close range, spanning each wireless channel. It could be a matter of range, how far is the other speaker from your wireless source?

It may help to change your router's wireless channel, though they're all pretty crowded. It may also help to move the missing unit closer to the router.
This has only started happening recently - we've had them for months and this hasn't been an issue. All seem to be coming up on the controller, but sound isn't coming through all of them...

We're in an office so we have access points located everywhere so that shouldn't be an issue?

Your confirmation number is: 465703567.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
This has only started happening recently - we've had them for months and this hasn't been an issue. All seem to be coming up on the controller, but sound isn't coming through all of them...

We're in an office so we have access points located everywhere so that shouldn't be an issue?

Your confirmation number is: 465703567.

Hi there,

Your speakers are losing connection to your wireless network from time to time. This is likely due to 2 factors. First, your have 2 access points running on different wireless channels. The Sonos system works best with access points when they are running the same wireless channel. Also, there are many wireless networks nearby, some stronger than the signals Sonos is connecting to. They are also running on the same channel as your own. I would recommend changing both of your access points to channel 6 instead of 6 and 11.

As there are many wireless networks in the area, your best bet may be to wire in one of your Sonos units with an ethernet cable, giving the Sonos system its own wireless network to communicate over.