Answered

Speakers cutting in and out

I apologize if this is a system-wide issue and someone's already asked about it.

In the last two days, my speakers have been cutting in and out while streaming music. I've been using the same setup for years, no issue, so I imagine it's a side effect of a recent update? It happens when attempting to group rooms, and even within the same room (left or right speaker will intermittently cut out). Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks for your help.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 5 June 2019, 20:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Most often, this sort of behaviour after an update is due to a duplicate IP address issue, caused by your router.

I would recommend as a first step unplugging all of your Sonos devices from power. While they're "down", reboot your router. When the router has come back up, go back and plug back in all of your Sonos speakers.

More than likely, this will resolve your issues. If it does, I'd recommend doing some research in your router's manual on how to set up reserved IP addresses.

Of course, the other possibility is simple wifi interference. But this is less likely to occur immediately after a software update, but is a more general issue.
Much appreciated, Bruce! This appears to have solved the problem.
Delighted to hear it! Now, you should look at your router's manual so that you can reserve IP addresses for your Sonos, so you don't have to do this again 🙂
My Sonos One Speakers cut out while watching television.

My speakers cut in and out mostly when grouped. I have 2 speakers in my living room and two speakers in my bedroom. Each room is stereo paired. When both roomed are grouped, i have issues. If ungrouped, it seems to be ok. I just ran diagnostic. #1950619958.

Any suggestions? My wifi is pretty strong.

I’d recommend reading my responses already in this thread. 

Hello @mschwartz28, welcome to the community. Thank you for submitting that diagnostic. All of your speakers are currently getting high levels of interference. I recommend reading our article on reducing wireless interference here.

Once that is complete, please submit another diagnostic and reply back with that confirmation number. I look forward to your reply.

Hi Richard,

I called google based on what i read in the link. I am unable to change the channel with the google router. It automatically chooses whats best. Any other ideas?

Thanks

There are other steps you can try to reduce wireless interference. This is normally caused other electronic devices, appliances, or even certain building materials. I recommend taking a look around their local area to locate and remove this source of interference. The article I listed above will explain what devices and materials can cause interference. 

Once you locate that source of interference and relocate either it, or Sonos. Please submit a diagnostic report and reply back with the confirmation number. 

Badge

This is a complete mess. I have 15 Sonos devises and it is like a circulatory nightmare of speakers curing in and out. I’m on a 100% solid wireless connection with Ubiquity and this is terrible.

i can’t :( for this much $$$$ completely BS 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @myuncker, thank you for reaching to the Sonos community and I appreciate for bringing your concern to us and letting us know about it. Let me help you with this.

To better assist you with this concern, I'd like to ask some questions from you.

• Any changes that happened on the network? New router or new WiFi name and password?
  • Do you also experience the same issue with your other music services?
  • On which speaker are you experiencing the issue? During group or individual playback?
  • Have you tried refreshing your network and all Sonos devices from the power?
  • To isolate the issue, have you tried connecting one of your Sonos devices with an Ethernet cable to your router?

After checking the steps above and you're still having the same issue, please submit a diagnostic to see if it will work. Let us know the confirmation number.

Let us know how it goes. We'll wait for your reply.