speakers cut out momentarily, etc.

• 27 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

I have 10 Sonos speakers in various rooms, 9 of which are usually played together as a group. (There’s also a Sonos Connect that connects to a receiver for wired speakers, but even when that’s turned off this problem persists, so I’ll ignore that.)

Been using the system for several years and the same problems have been there the whole time. Just finally wanted to do something about it.

Often, when I first start playing something (such as choosing a song from Apple Music on my phone), it will start playing on some speakers, then some speakers will cut out for a few moments, then return, and then everything is fine. Sometimes at some point it’ll just abruptly stop, perhaps hours later, but usually it’s fine. 

I set an alarm every night to turn on white noise for sleep. Sometimes after a few seconds the white noise cuts out, and instead it starts playing the Sonos standard alarm chime instead for some reason. That’s rare, but it happens.

The app (whatever the latest one is, with the brownish/beige icon colour) is often slow to respond. Like, when I press the repeat icon a couple of times to get the little 1 to appear to repeat a single song, it’ll then change itself a moment later--that happens all the time actually and is quite frustrating. And there’s just a general slowness to it, like if I try to choose a different song or repeat a song that’s playing, sometimes an error message will come up. That also occurred with the previous app version, even when my phone was new (it’s an iphone 😵.

Some other information:

version 13.0.2

Sonos OS S2

Build 62187200

Sonos ID 118574769

10 x Play:1 speakers, series ID A200, all at v13.0 (Build 62186220). WM 0

1x Sonos BOOST, series ID A100, v13.0 (Build 62186220). WM 0

I have it set at uncompressed so that I get the best quality sound, which is important to me. I’ve tried the 3 different SonosNet channels and it makes no difference.

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

MarkusRain,

Likely you have a difficult wireless environment. First, make sure that your WiFi is using channel 1, 6, or 11 and that the channels are 20MHz wide. Generally, SONOS should use a different channel from your WiFi. ‘Auto’ WiFi channels is a bad idea because wireless routers commonly pick channels off the 1, 6, 11 grid. Next, there may be another device near BOOST that is polluting its wireless environment. Sometimes moving BOOST a foot can be a magic cure.

Go to http://[IP address of a PLAY:1]:1400/support/review and click the Network Matrix at the bottom. Red cells indicate potential issues. Note that this is a static display, refresh the page after you make a change and be sure to check over a period of time because the source of interference may be transient. I once had an irritating issue. I kept a log and it was obvious that most evenings were OK (i wasn’t home during the day) and Sunday afternoon was terrible. I slipped a copy of my log and a polite note under my neighbor’s door, In a couple days the note was back under my door with a comment that she often traveled during the business week and called Mom on Sunday afternoon using a wireless phone known to cause issues from the room that was adjacent to my wired player. Easy fix, I wired that room and another room.

You can sometimes improve a situation by clever building of your Group. As you build a Group, the first member becomes the ‘Group Coordinator’ and all of the Group traffic flows through this unit. An unfortunate choice for the Coordinator would be a red cell unit in the Network Matrix. For stereo paired PLAY:1’s, the left speaker is the pair’s Coordinator.

You can submit a diagnostic and post the confirmation number here and get SONOS staff comment. The diagnostic has access to more information than is presented to users in support/review.

Badge

Thanks for your reply buzz.

I checked and my WiFi is using channel 3 for the 2.4 Ghz.

Here’s a snapshot of the chart I see when looking at one of the Sonos speakers. The whole left column is red but I’m assuming it’s just supposed to look like that? Otherwise I don’t see any red cells. The only cells with colour are the in the BOOST column & row.

@MarkusRain the community software does not always notify users of replies.

I strongly suggest that you use channel 1, 6, or 11 for your WiFi.

No, red cells in the left column is not optimal.