Speakers close to the Boost are disappearing. Wifi interferences?

Badge +1
  • Avid Contributor II
  • 16 replies
Hi all, have a happy new year!
I have just set up my sonos system at home, but I am suffering some problems that I didn't expected at all.
This is my setup:
System configured in Boost mode, with two different rooms:
- Living Room:
- 1 Boost wired to the router (Asus RT-AC68) and separated near 3 ft.
- 2 Sonos One paired in stereo mode (10 and 20 ft from the Boost)
- Bed Room:
- 1 Sonos One, 40 ft from the Boost of the living room, with 4 walls of plasterboard between them.

My 2.4 ghz network is set up in channel 1 while the Boost is in the channel 6.
I have manually assigned IPs for every Sonos device in my router through my DHCP.
I have Alexa running on every Sonos without issues.

My problem is that the Living Room is continuosly disappearing from the several Sonos controllers.
I have done everything possible to avoid wifi interferences, but it is curious that the speakers that are in the same room than the boost are suddenly disappearing while the speaker that is really far from the boost and the other Sonos, with a lot of walls between them, is solid as a rock.
Another curious thing is that when the living room has disappeared from the apps, I can order Alexa to play some music there and it works.

Am I missing something?
I have tried to reboot router, unplug and plug again all the sonos devices but the problems always return.
If it helps, during the installation I have several problems lik uncompleted updates, several tries to pair th speakers of the living room, etc. but it seemed to get finally solved.

I have submitted a diagnostic to the Sonos Support, with the number 536016075. Any help will be really appreciated.
Best regards for all.

10 replies

Mr.Red wrote:

My 2.4 ghz network is set up in channel 1

What's the WiFi channel width? 20MHz or 40MHz? Many routers default to 40MHz.

I have manually assigned IPs for every Sonos device in my router through my DHCP.

How about the devices used to control Sonos?
Badge +1
Hi Ratty, thanks for your reply.

The width is set in auto, 20/40. Is that correct? Or should I set it to a unique width?

I do not reserve IP for the controllers as I thought it was more a problem of the speakers, because they disappear from all the controllers at the same time .
Could this help?
Best regards
Set the WiFi 2.4GHz width to 20. Allowing it to use 40MHz could introduce major interference into Sonos on ch 6, because with a primary channel on 1 the WiFi's secondary would be on ch 5.

Reserve IPs for all the stations that participate in the Sonos system. This means the controlling devices as well as the players.
Badge +1
Hi again!
The guys from Sonos Support have reviewed my diagnostic and it seems that I have a lot of interferences in both rooms.
All the speakers are really far (at least 3 meters) from any electronic device, but my Boost is in a furniture close to a lot of electronic devices such as Tv, ps3, NAS, Tv decoders, etc.

The most problematic devices can be a cordless phone (4 ft from the Boost) that is wired to the router (VOIP) and a Wifi extender which is placed al least 20 ft away from any Sonos device. The wifi extender is working in the same channel than the 2.4 GHz network.

I have sent a new diagnostic with the wifi extender powered off and I am waiting news from the support team about it.

I am considering to change the Boost channel to 11 and keep the router at channel 1. I will also try to to set the width to 20 and assign IPs to any controller but I live in a building with a lot of neighbours (and wifi networks) around us and I don't know if this can be the cause of so many interferences.

If the wifi extender is causing the major interferences, is there any other way to get wifi signal in the farthest part of my home? Maybe through powerlines?

Any ideas of what more can I try?

Best regards!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Try all three channels for your Boost, 1, 6 and 11 while moving your router to another one of the three. Check your network matrix on each and see if any channel is better than the others. Substitute your speaker's IP (not the Boost) http://172.16.1.115:1400/support/review

The Boost is pretty small, take a careful look at relocating it a couple meters away from the other electronics, even temporarily for testing could help.

If nothing else works pick a quiet time and unplug all your other electronics (except the router and any switches) and check the network matrix again, if it has improved plug back in your other stuff one room at a time and check to narrow down the problem.

If your router and extender are on one of the three channels and your Sonos is on another there won't be much interference between them as long as you have a meter or more of distance.
Badge +1
Thanks Stanley!
Lot of things to try in the next days!
I guess I must run the matrix when all the speakers appear in the app, is it correct?

Best regards
Badge +1
Hi again,
This is a screenshot of Wifi Analyzer from my living room.

And this one from my bedroom:

My wifi and its extended network are currently running on channel 1 while SonosNet is on channel 6.
Taking a look to both images it seems that the best option is to move SonosNet to channel 11. Before this I have run the matrix and this is the result:

After doing some refreshes of the page, the matrix has shown red in the boost cell of the left column.

Then I have done the change of the SonosNet to the channel 11, keeping my wifi on channel one. The result of this movement is that I have lost completely my Right Speaker from app (about my Sonos system). I have rebooted router, boost and speaker and still missing. Obviously it doesn't appear on the matrix. All the living room is missing.

After this I have moved my networks to the channel 11 and the SonosNet to channel 1. The result is that the Right Speaker is on the app (about my Sonos System) again but the left speaker is missing, even after rebooting the router and the speaker. All the living room is missing. Of course it doesn't appear on the matrix.

I have changed back the sonosnet to channel 6 and my wifi to channel 1 and the result of the matrix is this:

Any ideas?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Channel 11 looks good in the WiFi analyzer but most of them don't really analyze the channel, they only show other WiFi signals on the channels that are broadcasting SSIDs. They miss other RF emitters that aren't sending a WiFi formatted signal. So the analyzer can show a problem but it can't show what is good.

1 and 6 are busy plus you have an idiot neighbor AIZC interfering with both of them. Same thing for 3, 4 9 and 10. No fixing the clueless so you just have to try to work around them.

Orange isn't great but it usually works well enough. The red in the left column is from a device near the red device sending out interference. Finding that particularly near the Boost is going to help.
Badge +1
I have also set my 2.4 GHz bandwith to 20 MHz. After doing that my matrix turned to green almost every cell, but what I have been able to check is that it is oscilanting when time passes. You can check it half an hour later and it could be with all the left column in orange.

I have also tried to power off the cordless phone and the wifi extender and run the matrix again I haven't appreciate a lot of difference when they are plugged.

I thought that when you configured a sonosnet, all devices "talk" between them. Why there isn't colors in the inner cells of the matrix?

The data from the diagnostics are showing huge congestion around the boost, with high values of the physical wireless latency of this device.

I can try to find a new location for the boost and try, but it always going to be between 1 and 2 meters from the router, no further.

Let see if I can find a long term solution.

Best regards
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Mr.Red wrote:

I thought that when you configured a sonosnet, all devices "talk" between them. Why there isn't colors in the inner cells of the matrix?

The coloured boxes show the actual connection paths in use at the time of the matrix snapshot. The grey boxes show the signal strengths on the unused wireless paths. At a given point in time, SonosNet uses a specific, single path between any pair of devices, not multiple paths simultaneously.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings