Answered

Speakers are slow to respond.

• 8 October 2021
  • 5 replies

Hopefully someone can help!

I’m having an issue with my system. When I change tracks some of the speakers change instantly where others in the house are slightly behind, anything up to 10 seconds slower to respond. It is not always the same ones that have the delay.

I have on my system a playbar, sub and 2 play ones grouped, and also 4 other play ones and a play three all separate. I have tried re-booting, changing the WiFi channel and connecting one directly to the router, none of which has worked. I am also now running a boost connected to my router which hasn’t helped either.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 8 October 2021, 22:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Were the speakers all unplugged while you rebooted the router? If they were not, try that. Some things get fixed with a simple reboot, some things require the speakers to be unplugged during the router reboot in order to be properly ‘refreshed’. 

Thank you for this, I have tried what you suggest and it has improved things a little! Having tried using the system in various combinations I only seem to have the issue with 2 speakers, when I use it without those two it’s fine, but as soon as I add them back in, the problem comes back! They are both separate, not grouped or a stereo pair, however it is always the same 2, but when added back in they can cause the problem on any of the speakers! When I add them I also get an occasional message saying “unable to connect to sonos product”

Huh, intersting. Could be a case of simple wifi interference of some type, in addition to the duplicate IP address issue that the above would have resolved. 

Make sure the BOOST is at least a couple of feet away from the router, so there isn’t any near field interference. 

The next time you get one of those messages, though, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic , and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

That’s great thank you. And a good point about the boost, it’s right next to the router so another option I can try. 

Thank you for taking the time to help, very much appreciated. 

My pleasure. And definitely don’t have two radio devices (BOOST and router) sitting next to each other. There’s all sorts of evil interference stuff that can happen. I’d actually love it if the BOOST shipped with a slightly longer cable, to help avoid that, but then again most of us, myself included, tend to stack all that stuff on top of the router, just because that’s where there’s space. But there’s a certain amount of physics involved here, from electricity, magnetism and radio….all basically the same thing.