Answered

Speakers are out of sync - echo

• 11 June 2022
  • 6 replies

Hello

In a large room there are 3 stereo pairs of Sonos One speakers.

They connect via Wi-Fi and there is a PC with Windows 10 connected via Ethernet to the router. There is iTunes streaming music from Apple Music via Airplay.

When I start the music all speakers sound good however after a while they gradually becoming out of sync and thus echoing. The speakers are brand new.

Could you please help how can I fix this problem?

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 12 June 2022, 15:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Are you streaming to each of the three ‘rooms’ using AirPlay 2, or are you streaming to one of the ‘rooms’, and grouping the three rooms in the Sonos controller so they are all playing that single stream?

Hi Bruce

I haven’t grouped the rooms together in the sonos app, I select every room in iTunes and stream to them. (mainly for the reason that I can control the volume for each stereo pair separately)

Then your issue is unfortunately with Apple’s ability to stream three separate sources to the ‘rooms’. Sonos isn’t in the mix there in order to synchronize them.

The normal use case in order to get everything in sync would be to send a single AirPlay 2 stream to one room, then use the Sonos controller to ‘group’ the rooms. Once that’s done, you can use the Sonos controller to adjust the volume of all rooms simultaneously or, as you desire, each room individually, as the pop up in the volume control process allows that. 

When I stream from my iPad I also stream to multiple rooms, but in this case there is no sync issue, therefore I took a closer look. I opened the sonos app on my phone to see what is happening.

First I started streaming from iPad to multiple rooms. In the sonos app I saw that the rooms automatically grouped together and the stream was not going to separate rooms but to the group.

However when I do the same from iTunes on windows the I see in the sonos app that the rooms don’t automatically grouped together but stay separate therefore they receive three streams. Exactly the same happens what you have described. Then I started streaming to only one room and grouped the others together in the sonos app as you have recommended. Sometimes other speakers started working sometimes not, when all speakers were working but I stopped the stream and later started again I had to go to the sonos app and group the speakers again. I need to group them together every time when I start playing music.

Apple has a buggy implementation in iTunes, it should also group the rooms together automatically similarly to the iPad, not sending separate streams. I will report this problem to apple (but I guess they are already aware)

Thank you for your guidance Bruce that helped me understand the issue.

I reported the issue to Apple support. After one month of invetigation the came back with the following answer:

“iTunes for Windows 12.12.4.1 (currently latest) doesn’t support multiroom audio by design therefore the echo is expected.”

Thank you Apple for your great design...

I reported the issue to Apple support. After one month of invetigation the came back with the following answer:

“iTunes for Windows 12.12.4.1 (currently latest) doesn’t support multiroom audio by design therefore the echo is expected.”

Thank you Apple for your great design...

Yes, it’s always best to just send a single Airplay2 audio stream to one device only and then let Sonos handle all the wired/wireless multi-room syncing issues, it will be ‘perfect’. It is one of the things that Sonos definitely do best.🫡