Speaker Will NOT Rename -- How to fix it?

• 20 January 2022
  • 6 replies

Hi Folks:

I have a Sonos Move that I have renamed now countless times.  Is there some step that I am missing to do this successfully?  After a couple of days, it just defaults to its old location name. 

So far I have:

1. Renamed it under System → Products
  2. Formatted the speaker and set it back up. It then somehow shows up again as Living Room Sonos instead of Main Bedroom.  The latter is where I want it.
  3. I have removed and added back the entire system.
  4. I logged into Sonos.com and then speaker is still named Living Room Sonos, which is not what I labelled it as during the new setup process.

It’s a minor detail but throws every person who I show to log in. I would rather not be saying “look for the living room sonos with a battery indicator”.

Thoughts or ways to correct the issue?

6 replies

Do you have Sonos connected to Amazon Alexa as well?  I’ve seen cases where  Alexa doesn’t register the new name and somehow gets the name reverted back on the Sonos side.  Not sure if you want to change the name on Alexa to, or you could just disable the Sonos skill on Alexa, change the name, then reconnect the Sonos skill.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Or Apple Home Kit?  You need to change the name in Home Kit first.

This is nearly always caused by HomeKit.

This is nearly always caused by HomeKit.

I may very well be misremembering the issue, thanks for the clarification guys.  

After all, I have Alexa and renaming some rooms recently without issue.

Not 100% sure it’s always Home Kit, but certainly agree that more often than not, it certainly is. 

I had the same problem and as reported here earlier, it’s Apple Homekit.

Indeed, when I ONLY change the name in Homekit, it is IMMEDIATELY as well changed in Sonos. So even no need to followup in Sonos afterwards.

Thx to those who brought up the solution in this chat