Question

Speaker Drop

Badge +2
My speakers keep dropping in and out. At first I thought it was only when I was using the (uncompressed) line-in from the Play 5, but now it's been happening when playing from Spotify and other sources. The controller is also very sluggish when I'm trying to group/ungroup different speaker combinations.

I don't think it's a sonosnet mesh issue -- a direct, unobstructed line can be drawn among all the speakers. I've got a Play 1 plugged into my router, and a bridge positioned in a spot where it should boost the signal for a specific room. Not sure what else I should do.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I recognize that you have lots of Sonos experts helping you out (which is awesome)... but just a simple suggestion that may help you find/or eliminate some wifi interference issues. (I needed this personally) Have you considered getting an app that will show you local wifi networks and the channels they are on? I get that these apps only show SSIDs that are being broadcast, but in my experience most residential implementations do broadcast their SSID so you *should* be able to see almost all wifi networks around you and the channels they are on (Some new routers have some basic versions of these tools in their interface, but it isn't too hard to find one in an "app store". ).

Then you should make sure you are actually forcing your router to a channel (pick 1,6, or 11) and do not let it "auto" pick a channel. In the Sonos App, set the SonosNet channel to one of the others. (There is a lot of overlap in the signals so there are not really 11 channels available... that is why people say 1,6, and 11). Also, do make sure you physically separate the router and whatever Sonos device you have plugged in to create the SonosNet Mesh network.

For my implementation, I set the SonosNet channel to the one that had the absolute least noise of neighbors' networks (happens to be 1 for me) and set my Router to 6.

hope you get this more stable for you. The devices are awesome but I can understand that this can be frustrating
Badge +2
Still dropping in and out. Diagnostics: 7016837.
Badge +2
The living room device is wired to a smart tv via an ethernet cable.

The only wifi enabled devices are computers / phones / tablets / smart TV / roku / apple TV.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
nmrose, can you please tell me what the Living Room device is cabled to? Also, there is a high level of interference on your system. There must be something in your environment causing this, can you provide a list of your WiFi enabled devices; Wireless lighting, heating, CCTV etc.?
Badge +2
Still dropping. Diagnostics: 6762836.
Badge +1
Hi nmrose. I see you have the Master Bedroom set as the primary unit in the group. Try ungrouping everything and hitting the group button next to Hallway and then add the rest of the players from there. Since the Hallway is the player wired to the network, it should be a more stable connection. Monitor the system after that change and let us know if you have any other issues.
Badge +2
More speaker drop. Submitted diagnostics: 6738890.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Update: Sonos had me fiddle with the channels of my router and Sonos system, and thus far I haven't experienced any more issues. Thanks for the help! Great customer support! I'll update if the problems return.

Happy to hear all is well and thanks for your kind words. Let us know if you have any other questions.
Badge +2
Update: Sonos had me fiddle with the channels of my router and Sonos system, and thus far I haven't experienced any more issues. Thanks for the help! Great customer support! I'll update if the problems return.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Still happening. I submitted the diagnostics. Code: 6373915.

I have reviewed your diagnostic and due to the issue and the long troubleshooting you have already done I made a ticket for you under 160720-000263. Mind giving us a call? You can provide that number to your technician to continue. Our contact information can be found here: http://www.sonos.com/contact.

Let us know how it goes.
Badge +2
Still happening. I submitted the diagnostics. Code: 6373915.
I think that anyone with the slightest aptitude for tech and some curiosity about the world we live in today would want to take the blue pill - one that has a lot fewer consequences than what Neo faced:-).
The blue pill? ;)

Seriously, the Network Matrix -- which summarises the instantaneous condition of the SonosNet mesh -- is part of the internal diagnostics. They're for Sonos support use and are undocumented, but we've figured out a few things here.

If you want to see how deep the rabbit hole goes, point a browser to http://PlayerIPaddress:1400/support/review. Substitute a numeric IP from About My Sonos System.
Badge +2
I was unaware that there should be a sizeable distance between the router and the wired Sonos product. I'll try that too.

How does one "invoke the matrix"?
If this doesn't and you want to try more on your own: I assume the wired 1 unit is 4-5 feet away from the router, to minimise chances of cross interference.

Replace the cable connecting the unit to the router; the flat cable that Sonos supplies is prone to failure, I have found.

And going down this path further, you may want to learn to invoke the matrix that offer more insights into possible problems, including telling you if the bridge is doing what you have placed it to do, or whether it is being bypassed.

Or, just submit the diagnostic!
Badge +2
The channels appear to have been separate, but now they're on 1 and 11 as suggested. I'll see if that does the trick.
Use the controller within five minutes of problem occurrence to submit a diagnostic. Copy the diagnostic number and post it here for Sonos to reply to you after viewing the relevant information it yields.

While you do that: Are you using separate channels for Sonos and your router? Using 1 for one and 11 for the other is usually a good starting point.
Badge +2
Now it's worse than before. Lots of dropping in and out. The speakers are barely usable as is.

Any other fixes?
Badge +2
Thanks for the reply. I just ran your proposed fix. Fingers crossed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Probably an IP conflict issue. Switch off router, Sonos gear and EVERY item connected to network including phones and tablets.
Then switch router back on and wait for it to connect to Internet. Then power up your Bridge, wait for it to connect. Then switch Plays on and after that the rest of your network devices.

Hopefully that will sort you out