Question

Speaker & Connection Problems

• 14 April 2020
  • 9 replies

This topic provided a solution for my problems (basically reboot my entire system and components, independently, in a specific order:  https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/speaker-and-connection-problems-6807105

But now I have further questions.

System:  a Sonos One, a Sonos One SL, a Play 3.  I recently removed the soon-to-be-obsolete Bridge and connected all via WifI.  None is wired to the router.  My system worked fine with the bridge but when I removed it, I started having issues with speakers disappearing and reappearing.  I did the process described above and all is well so far.

The questions: 

1. Am I going to have repeat this process from time to time?
  2. Could a Boost provide some of the same stability as the old Bridge seemed to have?  Could it prevent having to fool around with rebooting all my components?  I don’t have issues with Wifi coverage -- at least I don’t think so,  I can stream TV in all the same locations, and my other devices show 80-100% signal in all places.  I rarely use more than 1 device and a phone on Wifi at the same time (unless 3 speakers at the same time take a toll). I think the Boost might provide better stability -- but will it really?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Same problem...My sonos has become unbearable to use!

1. it depends. The cause of this issue is your router handing out invalid IP addresses, I.e losing assignments in its DHCP table. This causes the speakers, when they’re soft rebooted, they receive ‘duplicate’ IP addresses. So while they’re trying to play the stream the router is trying to connect two things to a single IP address, and when one has the connection, the other doesn’t, causing a disconnection. Router’s normally shouldn’t have this issue, but there are several things that can be done. The first, and easiest, albeit short term resolution is what you’ve done. You could also just reboot your router each time before updating the Sonos, a freshly reloaded firmware in the router should keep it from handing out duplicates. But that’s a process unlikely to be remembered. The ‘permanent’ fix to this is to assign reserved IP addresses for your Sonos devices in the router’s DHCP table, which is what most of us who respond to these suggest. 

2. it can help, sometimes, if there’s too much bandwidth being used by the other things on your Wi-Fi signal. But it’s also susceptible to IP address issues, as well as wifi interference, since it’s also a radio signal. I happen to use a BOOST myself, since I have 18 speakers that I just don’t want interfering with my Wi-Fi bandwidth. The key thing is that while you can stream device X everywhere doesn’t mean that a Sonos device has exactly the same antenna and electronics, so while your laptop may be fine, your Sonos device might not...or even vice versatile. In general, I do recommend the use of the SonosNet mesh network, due to the fact that it’s both a mesh system, and it removes bandwidth from your Wi-Fi. But there’s some caveats that Sonos talks about in their setup FAQs, such as the fact that if you already have a mesh network, you should connect your wired device to the ‘root’ device, I,e the device that handles DHCP for the networked devices, and not a satellite device. The same thing applies to access points, and power line extenders, they get in the way of the speaker to speaker connection that a Sonos requires. But if you have a speaker to wire to your router, it would operate in the same manner as a BOOST, so one can be convenient in cases like mine, where my router is no where near a router, but not required to get the benefit of the SonosNet mesh.

So, in conclusion, yes, I recommend the SonosNet system of connection, but it’s not absolutely required, and it doesn’t resolve issues such as wifi interference or duplicate IP addresses.

Plain and simple, Sonos does require a fairly robust network to hang off of, it just doesn’t have the same amount of buffering that things like TVs, laptops, etc offer. But with a little care, and infrequent maintenance when adding new devices, it works extraordinarily well. 

Bruce/Airgetlam,

Thank you for your response.  I was hoping to avoid assigning IP addresses, but I will if I have to.  For now, the piece-by-piece rebooting of the entire system seems to be working.  I am a Sonos fan.  It does best what I want a system to do.  It also sounds like hi-res is coming, so that’s an exciting development -- and another item in the plus column.   I am definitely still thinking about the boost. 

Be save.  Be well

KIm

Assigning IP addresses is just a way of avoiding having this issue again, so you don’t *have* to do it. Just remember that your router can get in a state where it hands out duplicates, so if it happens again, just follow the reboot procedure again, and it will fix the issue….assuming it’s the same issue again. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I got tired of the reboot shuffle after power failures and updates, made the hassle of setting static/reserved IPs a lot more attractive.

For some folks, it’s a scary step. I understand, but as long as they know the whole reboot dance, they’ll be fine. 

Yes, the IP address thing is a bit scary.  Doable, but a bit of a time commitment.  Read the relevant pieces of the router manual several times, understand the process, suck up the courage, do it carefully (referring to the manual several times), then bingo -- that wasn’t so hard.  Still, if a reboot a few times a year will do the trick -- I’ll opt for the easy fix for  now.  But it is good to know there is a more elegant fix.

Thanks again!

Pretty much my experience too. Terror going in, figured out after doing a couple that it was pretty darn easy, and now it’s almost second nature, when I get a new network device. 

By the way, if you do go this route, I recommend doing all of the devices that connect to your network, not just the Sonos ones. Leave the ‘floating’ option for those devices that randomly come to your home in the pockets of friends. It is just good ‘housekeeping’ for your network :)

Good advice! 

Kim