Answered

Sound played through "On this iPhone" skip intermittently.

• 13 December 2017
  • 20 replies

Once the skipping starts Sonos controller on iOS skips ever more frequently, plays out of order and information displayed loses sync with tracks playing.

This also happens with Podcasts downloaded to the iPhone.

This DOES NOT happen when streaming Amazon Music, TuneIn, or playing tracks on my NAS.

I have just spent 20 minutes cycling through playing Amazon, TuneIn, NAS and finally "On This iPhone". Once the skipping started immediately submitted a diagnostic (8212302).

For the avoidance of doubt I can play Amazon, NAS or TuneIn for hours without issues. Within a maximum of 5 minutes of switching to "On this iPhone" the skipping starts. Please do no bug me with Wifi reset / channel setting type posts. The issue is solely with the Sonos Controller playing back audio files that are stored on the iPhone (hence the issue with music AND dowloaded Podcasts).

This is issue started a few months back after a major update, before that no problem at all over a couple of years. Did all the Wifi reset and channel stuff then, upgraded the router, needed it anyway. No change.

I was going to submit this about a month ago, but couldn't be bothered signing up just to do that when I saw the numerous threads with same issue

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-app-skips-to-next-song-before-the-current-one-is-not-done-playing-5908644/index11.html
https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-does-not-work-keeps-cutting-out-6765666/index2.html
https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/podcast-skips-can-t-get-through-an-entire-podcast-6796075
(for example)

and simply presumed it would be fixed on the next update. Well today the Sonos Controller pushed an update and no fix. Equally as far as I can tell from a scan of the first few pages of the forum, there doesn't appear to be an acknowledgement exists.
icon

Best answer by Keith N 8 May 2018, 22:54

Hi there everyone. Thanks for keeping the conversation going. You may find this topic helpful where one of our Community members spoke to our Senior technicians about this exact problem.

Put simply, mobile devices typically do not have the power to maintain a wireless connection under 10ms of latency. While you may be able to connect and stream audio directly from your phone in some instances, in most cases it is best to house as much content on a local library rather than your mobile device.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Ok tested whether the screen lock is the cause. Played an album that is "On this iPhone". Actually played for almost 20 minutes without skipping with the screen on, but then skipped. Immediately did another diagnostic 8212620.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I have posted on other threads but for clarity, I’ve had exactly the same issues but they are now reduced greatly (though not 100%) since I switched the screen lock controls on. I spent a significant amount of time troubleshooting this though out the year and have logged a number of support calls with sonos & spoken to a number of the team. I have submitted umpteen diagnostics. It would be nice to see a recognition and resolution for this.
Yes I read your post AM_A.

Unfortunately for me turning the screen lock controls back on is not an option as it murders my battery (iPhone SE).
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, jands. Thanks for posting and keeping the discussion going. Out of curiosity, do you have Low Power Mode on? This can be easily discerned by a yellow battery icon in the top right of your screen. I ask because although Low Power Mode does get you a couple hours of extra battery life, it comes at the expense of a number of other settings and services.

I also noticed that out of all the speakers in your Sonos system, the Office has a connection to the network that could be better and at times seems to have trouble maintaining a strong connection to the router. Do you get any better reliability if instead of grouping everything to the Office, you grouped to the Living Room? This room, in particular, seems to have the best signal of your Sonos devices since they all have to independently talk to the router to pass data.

Let me know if you find any of this helpful!
New(ish) user here and I just noticed this happening to me. Only when playing "fron this phone". Other sources don't skip.
I have had exactly the same issue. There’s no difference between speakers. Podcasts show this problem consistently. I see less often with music maybe due to the duration of each track.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there everyone. Thanks for keeping the conversation going. You may find this topic helpful where one of our Community members spoke to our Senior technicians about this exact problem.

Put simply, mobile devices typically do not have the power to maintain a wireless connection under 10ms of latency. While you may be able to connect and stream audio directly from your phone in some instances, in most cases it is best to house as much content on a local library rather than your mobile device.
Hi, Keith, this is not at all accurate, I'm sorry. Please note that this used to work very well in the past. This is certainly a bug. It seems to be related to the screen locking event: once the screen locks, it loses the connection and the problems show up. I believe you should focus on handling this scenario for content on the phone.
I suspect that if this were a bug in Sonos then thousands of people would be experiencing the issue and this forum would be awash with complaints.

Playing music from a phone is inherently more prone to glitches than playing from the internet or a NAS drive.
store on a local library? What does that mean? (I know what the words mean, but in the Sonos context, I'm not sure.
Badge
I'm very sad to read that in 5 months - this topic hasn't gotten more attention. I have had the same issue lately (only when playing music stored on my phone). I have an iPhone X (iOS 11.3.1). Playing music from my phone has been unusable. It's as if the SONOS controller got music ADD and skips songs constantly. No issues with Amazon Music, just songs stored on the phone. I've searched for solutions and tried everything I could find that might be relevant. My music library downloaded to my phone is basically unusable at this point.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

Generally, when audio cuts out when streaming from a mobile device, but is okay when streaming from other sources, the issue is with the mobile device's connection to your home network. When your smartphone or tablet loses connection momentarily to your wireless network, it will often fall back on its cellular connection to keep the internet connectivity active. Sonos can only communicate with your mobile device over wireless, however.

Please check to see how far your mobile device is from your router when you are streaming to Sonos. Also, if you notice more drops when moving around your home, see if staying in the vicinity of your router helps.

If these steps don't help, there may be some wireless interference or other issues causing your mobile device to stop streaming to your speakers. Please submit a diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number after this happens, and I'll take a look for you.
I know I’m late to the game but I just now updated my iPhone 6s to iOS 11 and immediately started having these skipping issues with sonos so here I am. I think the issue is with the phone’s WiFi connection after the update. The idea that a phone isn’t a good method for streaming to sonos is incorrect- we are all reporting that this method worked completely fine and then we updated the iOS and now it doesn’t work. I was able to resolve the issue completely by forgetting my network on my phone and reconnecting. May not work for everyone but worth a shot! If not, here’s an article about the issue on iPhone in case one of the other methods works.

Good luck!

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2017/09/fix-ios-11-wifi-problems.html
Userlevel 2
Badge
What I’m hearing from Sonos boils down to: Sonos is not a good option for iPhone owners. They aren’t going to do anything to address this bug and will just blame the phone.
Userlevel 1
Badge
If this is in fact the attitude of Sonos, they will continue to lose market share. It worked perfectly on my iPhone 8 previously, and now "on my device" feature through which I listened to podcasts's, has been deemed completely useless with a software update of the Sonos Controller App by Sonos, that broke functionality!

Sad indeed!

I will be seeking alternative hardware going forward. I hate regressing in features with expensive hardware I invested money into in good faith, only to be told of these kind of downgrades after the fact.
Sorry posted replay on wrong thread.
My feelings are the same as KKANUCKS. Thousands of dollars invested in what WAS a great system.
Come on Sonos! I've invested a lot of money in your company's products. This has been an issue for almost a year now. Like lots of people have stated, it used to work fine all the time. Your software engineers ought to be able to find and fix the bug to stop this frustrating problem. I'm using a iPhone Xs with latest iOS and Sonos up to date. I love my Sonos system and everything worked great until this problem surfaced. I really don't believe it's a connectivity issue. It happens consistently when my iPhone is placed right next to my router and a Play 3 speaker that is connected to the router by ethernet cable. Also, I'm using the Sonos WiFi network instead of my home LAN. Rebooting everything doesn't help. Lots of iPhone owners very unhappy about this!
I feel like this issue needs more attention. I encourage others to write a review in the iOS App Store.
It's an issue with Apple, not Sonos.