Answered

sound messed up on certain programs

• 21 December 2021
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi all

i wonder if anyone could help, my knowledge isn’t great regards this stuff to be honest so I’ll try my best to explain the problem.

it started (well I say it started when I done this but it’s more like when we noticed it so I don’t think it would of made any difference) I recently changed my Netgear Nighthawk router for a TP-Link Deco X20 mesh WiFi to help improve WiFi everywhere but it’s been a headache since I done this but I’m getting there with it. So I’ve had to reconnect all the sonos stuff we have to either S1 or S2 (a pain in itself) my lounge was connected via a Beam (Ethernet) plus Sub and 2 X surrounds (Play 1s) but since I reconnected the lounge it wouldn’t connect to the beam via Ethernet (very strange) so I connected them all via WiFi. Anyways most of the channels/programs sound correct how ever we have come across a program called (Zoe’s Extraordinary Play list) (not my thing I should add LOL) anyways when this is on the main sound comes from the Left surround sound as if it’s the front beam…….very strange……I’ve read a couple of things about issues with eARC that it gets confused and thinks it’s 7.1 but it’s an actual 5.1 system…. Has anybody else had the same thing? Is there a fix or is it an compatibility issue between the TV (Samsung) and sonos?

hope someone can help?

cheers

Sean 

icon

Best answer by UKMedia 21 December 2021, 17:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

If you’re running Sonos on a mesh WiFi it’s best to wire one device only for each Sonos system to the main router, which in most cases is the primary mesh hub unless you have bridged the mesh setup from the main router itself. It’s best not to wire any Sonos products to any of the satellites - see this helpful thread from Sonos Staff which is worth a read;

Sonos on WiFi Mesh

With a Beam, or any Sonos HT main product, it communicates with its surrounds over an ad-hoc 5Ghz WiFi connection and to do that the wireless on that device and it’s surrounds needs to be switched on. I would just check they all are enabled in your case. It’s as good a place as any to begin to troubleshoot the matter, aswell as setting the system up in wired SonosNet mode. See this ‘perhaps’ helpful link too:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3235

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

For future reference when changing your router it’s worth opening the settings page on the new router and changing the wi-fi (SSID) Name and Password to that set on the old router.  All of your devices will connect into the new router without having to change anything on each of your connected devices. :)

Userlevel 1
Badge

If you’re running Sonos on a mesh WiFi it’s best to wire one device only for each Sonos system to the main router, which in most cases is the primary mesh hub unless you have bridged the mesh setup from the main router itself. It’s best not to wire any Sonos products to any of the satellites - see this helpful thread from Sonos Staff which is worth a read;

Sonos on WiFi Mesh

With a Beam, or any Sonos HT main product, it communicates with its surrounds over an ad-hoc 5Ghz WiFi connection and to do that the wireless on that device and it’s surrounds needs to be switched on. I would just check they all are enabled in your case. It’s as good a place as any to begin to troubleshoot the matter, aswell as setting the system up in wired SonosNet mode. See this ‘perhaps’ helpful link too:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3235

Hi

thanks for the reply, as regards connecting one device via Ethernet, I was led to believe this is the correct way to connect the sonos system up hence why it was connected like that previously but since finding this issue I did try that but it kept failing to connect hence why I tried it without. I’ll look at that article to see if maybe I can change it back? However what I can’t understand is normal tv works no problem, all other programs work no problem it’s just seems to a select few (when I say a select view I’ve only found one so far (all episodes)) that seem to have this issue which points to me that it’s the program not the set up?

I also have a sonos play 5 on a seperate system (pain in the backside) but we all know why that is, I can’t bring myself to get rid of this yet and replace with a five.

Userlevel 1
Badge

For future reference when changing your router it’s worth opening the settings page on the new router and changing the wi-fi (SSID) Name and Password to that set on the old router.  All of your devices will connect into the new router without having to change anything on each of your connected devices. :)

Yes I wish I thought of this before 🤦 

If you wire one product from the system to the new router and power it on and let it settle, when you then power on the remaining devices they should connect to the wired device using SonosNet (rather than the routers WiFi). Then when all appear in the Sonos App simply goto ‘Settings/System/Network/Manage Networks/Update Network’ and follow the instructions to scan for your existing Sonos System and when prompted add the new WiFi credentials to all players. 

Then all will run on your new WiFi when you uncable the wired device and for good measure remove your old WiFi credentials from the network list. It’s a fairly simple process usually.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Ok I’ll give that a try and let you know the outcome. I’m sure this what I done before when it failed to connect (this was the beam plugged in via Ethernet) I tried it several times aswell but I’ll try again 👍

it wouldn’t make any difference if was connected via an unmanaged Switch would it? That’s how it was connected before but I just wanted to double check……the mesh WiFi (TP-Link x20) only has 2 x Ethernet ports (no where near enough) and one is occupied by the WAN cable coming from the Virgin Media Hub 3 box (Box in Modem mode obviously 👍)

cheers

The wired device needs to be connected to the same subnet - it can be via an unmanaged switch, but presumably that switch is running off your device that you are using for your WiFi signal… it depends if your TP-Link mesh primary hub is setup as a router or if it’s bridged off your ISP provided router.

Userlevel 1
Badge

The wired device needs to be connected to the same subnet - it can be via an unmanaged switch, but presumably that switch is running off your device that you are using for your WiFi signal… it depends if your TP-Link mesh primary hub is setup as a router or if it’s bridged off your ISP provided router.

I think it’s set up as a router? I’ll also look into that, will it say router or bridged mode or is there other terms for them?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I just checked, yes it’s setup in “Wireless Router” mode

In which case you should just need to wire the Beam to that, or a switch that runs off that and ensure the mobile controller is connected to its WiFi too.

Userlevel 1
Badge

In which case you should just need to wire the Beam to that, or a switch that runs off that and ensure the mobile controller is connected to its WiFi too.

Ok will do 👍

Userlevel 1
Badge

Ok I decided to get all my system back to how it should be after following all your advice……I’ve reset everything turned everything off and back on again and started with my Lounge (Beam, sub and 2x Play 1s) I’ve connected my Beam via Ethernet and started to try and add the sub with no success at all 🤦🤦🤦 the app finds it and tells me to add it and says it may not show up under system until I unplug and plug back in but it still doesn’t show it at all……this is as far as I’ve got and I don’t know what else to do? I’ve also tried updating the networks but it doesn’t find it

Userlevel 1
Badge

Still need help with this if possible…….still got no further 🤦