Answered

SOUND DROPPING

Badge

I have tried everything. I’ve deleted my system and started from scratch, and I still have issues. I’m lost.

Diagnostics 506303006, 154440595.

thanks

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 27 March 2020, 02:09

And there is always the ability to contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it. They would likely have access to any notes on your situation that were being kept.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are available Monday through Friday during business hours. The Twitter support folks are available 24/7.

View original

29 replies

Just to help the Sonos community moderators tomorrow when they look at your diagnostic, what is the source of music when you experience this ‘dropping’ issue?

Badge

Amazon music

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi @mgross9, thanks for the post and thanks @Airgetlam for the additional help.

I have taken a look at your diagnostic and I do see communication interruptions between the player and the network.

It also appears that a Sonos Boost is currently hardwired. What is this Boost hardwired into? If a router, please specify the make/model.

I can also see that the network your phone is operating Sonos may be communicating to a different piece of hardware than the main router. Do you have access points or boosters that extend the WiFi range? If so, please specify the make/model.

Badge

Thanks Adam for the reply.

I do have a quick question...when I remove my boost from my cable modem/router, I cannot get me system to work at all.

What am I missing?

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Great question! 

When a Sonos system is not configured for the WiFi, it relies on a physical connection that the Sonos can then pass along to each player.

The Boost acts as the system’s “brain” and creates a private Sonos network or “Sonosnet.”

When unplugging the Boost, the system searches for either a configured WiFi network or another hardwired Boost. 

Badge

So, in order to improve reliability, should I change it to a wireless setup, or will that make my issue worse?

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

I would really need more information about your network matrix before I would be able to make that determination. 

You are free to run a Wireless Setup and we can assess  if your problem has been resolved.

In that case, we will have a better understanding to where the issue is coming from.

We have the same issue with our system.  It doesn’t matter if we run the app from any PC in the home or an Android device we get ongoing drops.  Our system (Connect:Amp) is hard wired to our network and has been assigned a Static IP but we keep having issues with drops outs.   

Badge

Adam,

After more thought, I’m not sure why I would want to go wireless when I have a boost.

Newest diagnostic #135026297

Modem Hitron CODA-4582-RES

Thanks

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, the diagnostic report that you have submitted was corrupted. Do you mind re-submitting?

Additionally, it did look as if you have an additional extender or booster that the controller is connecting to.

Maybe it has been installed with your ISP.  If you are able to locate the device, please unplug it and test the Sonos system.

I would like your controller to be on the router’s particular network.

Badge

Adam,

I do have a deco mesh setup. I have not found a component that is connected to the mesh network. 

diagnostic #1321579539

Thank you

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Thanks for the clarification!

From the diagnostics, I still see that the controller is connecting to a different piece of hardware than the router.

To test further, I would like you to disconnect the mesh boosters and with the controller connected to the router’s network, test the Sonos system. 

Please submit an updated diagnostic so I can verify the change and please report if the Sonos system’s communication is more stable.

Badge

Hi Adam,

Here is the diagnostic report with the mesh system unplugged.

Thanks again,

Mike

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Thanks for the update.

My diagnostic is still showing me that the network you are connecting to is a different source than the router.

Based on the signature of the network your controller is connected to, I believe the additional piece of hardware may be provided by your ISP and may be different than the mesh system you were operating. 

Do you see any improvement with the audio skipping as of now?

Badge

Hi Adam,

The only thing I can possibly think of is I have a mocha network for TIVO. 

Thanks,

MIke

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Would you be able to try disconnecting the Mocha as a test to see if the audio interruptions are improved?

Badge

Yes, I will.

Not sure how sonos could even find that netwotk.

Badge

OK Adam,

No mesh, no TIVO mocha, and the music still dropped off. I’m at my wit’s end.

Diagnostic #1127462173

Mike

Badge

Adam?

Are you still with me?

Did you abandon me?

Mike

He may have been off, since it appears he worked over the weekend. Try sending him a DM?

Adam?

Are you still with me?

Did you abandon me?

Mike

Perhaps @Adam S is on days off, but if you can describe your network setup, I’m sure community users here will chip in and help.

From what I have briefly read here so far, I assume you have an ISP provided modem/router and then the Deco mesh network and the TiVo MoCa setup?

I’m not too familiar with some of the hardware here, but my own thoughts are as follows…

The ISP provided router needs to either be in Modem Mode, or Bridge Mode, with its WiFi switched off and the main Deco hub and TiVo MoCa wired to an unmanaged switch, which in turn Links to your ISP provided router/modem.

So with that basic setup you then need to wire the Sonos Boost to the unmanaged switch.

Then I would suggest you perhaps do the following.…

Ensure that the Deco main device and it’s secondary hubs placed around the home are all using the exact same ‘fixed’ non-overlapping WiFi channels. So just as an example that could perhaps be Wifi channel 6 for the 2.4ghz band and channel 48 for the 5ghz band.

Now set your SonosNet channel in the Sonos App settings to either channel 1 or 11, so that it’s well away from the Deco signal. If your TiVo MoCa system uses `it’s own WiFi, then ensure that is also set well away from your SonosNet channel, although I’m not sure how that system works precisely, but if it uses your wired LAN, then you will definitely be better off running your Sonos system on its own SonosNet signal with just the one ‘boost’ device only wired to the main switch. 

Two further final points that are really worth doing here too..

1. Remove/reset the WiFi credentials in the Sonos App “SettingsSystem/Network/Wireless Setup”. These are not needed when running the devices on SonosNet. It will stop your Sonos devices hopping between the SonosNet signal and the Deco’s 2.4ghz WiFi signal.
  2. A final further useful thing I would choose to do in your particular case, is to add all the Sonos products IP addresses, to your Deco networks' DHCP Reservation Table.

Hopefully if you can understand and follow these few network suggestions you should find that your connectivity will improve and hopefully then see an end to your audio interruptions. 

And there is always the ability to contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it. They would likely have access to any notes on your situation that were being kept.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are available Monday through Friday during business hours. The Twitter support folks are available 24/7.

mgross9, (Mike),

I will also just mention, that if you do have any ‘other’ WiFi access points, like repeaters, WiFi extenders, or powerline adapters etc; that may link back to the Deco subnet, ensure their WiFi SSID/Credentials match those of the Deco WiFi and more importantly that they operate on the exact same Channels. So that would be channels 6 and 48, as mentioned in my earlier example, so that any mobile controller devices connecting to the network through those access points, will be able to communicate with your Sonos players.

Hope that also assists. 👍

Badge

Thanks for the replies.

Just a question, I unplugged the mesh, the TIVO mocha, and my system still dropped off. 

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,

Mike

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Thanks for the back up everyone!

The information I am receiving from the diagnostic still shows a different piece of hardware you are connecting to.  It would be difficult to evaluate further on this platform without having your controller (phone, computer, etc) connected to same network Sonos is receiving.

I would agree with  @Airgetlam ‘s recommendation to give our live support a call. They have tools that would help assess this problem more effectively.

If you have any additional questions, I would be happy to help. Additionally, I will be providing you with a case number you may reference to our live agent.