Answered

Sound deteriorates after 10-15 seconds

• 12 October 2019
  • 6 replies

The sound from my Sonos ZP80 is OK for 10-15 seconds, after that static can be heard, and volume becomes lower or much lower. Skipping to a different part of a song, or a new song restores sound for another 10-15 seconds. Any ideas how to fix that? Sound source is Spotify.
icon

Best answer by ratty 13 October 2019, 22:11

If you fancy a bit of DIY and have soldering skills you might like to poke around. On the other hand the simplest option if you need line-level analog signals is to use a budget DAC on one of the digital outs.
View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Does the light dim at the same time? Might be a power supply issue.

Wait for it to happen and submit a diagnostic right away, skip and submit another as quickly as possible.

Contact Sonos Support (see the contact page) at one of the 24x7 options and give them both diagnostic numbers.

Forum members can't see diagnostic data so we can be of limited help.
Test with another source, such as a radio station. Is the ZP80 outputting via analog or digital? The analog output stage has been known to expire.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I tried it with a toslink cable and it works fine.

Must be as you said the analog stage has died? Is there a cure for it? Changing caps etc ?
If you fancy a bit of DIY and have soldering skills you might like to poke around. On the other hand the simplest option if you need line-level analog signals is to use a budget DAC on one of the digital outs.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
My amp has optical inputs so ive used an optical cable to connect up instead of the line out thanks

It turned out that the coaxial digital out is the only one that works as it should, so now I have that connected with a separate DAC. The toslink output doesn’t give any sound at all, and the diagnostics report sent in to Sonos support didn’t show anything either. So it seems like there is an issue with the analog output as well as the optical out. But at least I can keep using it.

Thanks for your suggestions!