Sound cutting out on playbar and play one surrounds

Whilst playing the tv through the playbar the sound to all three speakers cuts intermittently for about two seconds each time

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

230 replies

I have the playerbar, sub and a pair of Play 3's. This intermittent lapse in the sound signal happens 24/7 no matter whether the source is cable, blu ray or netflix.

I spent well over $2000 on this system to replace a new Samsung Curved 9.1 Soundbar because the surround sound was terrible. Went to Best Buy and the two guys hooked me up with Sonos because they said it was the absolute best. It sounded amazing and does inside my home.

The problems with the sound cutting out are very annoying. I have tried resets on all devices, unhooked and rehooked cables, done total shut downs and resets to no avail.

I am also worried now about DTS not being supported. If I didn't have a Samsung blu ray player that converted DTS to Dolby Digital I would be really pissed.

I Sincerely hope someone advises as to what Sonos plans to do about all of the above issues. They make great products and it is a shame to have these type of issues.

DTS support is a no brainer for Sonos. I can't figure out why they won't support this format. Almost all Blu Ray's are DTS.. I had to buy a new Blu Ray Player just to be able to use my Sonos system.
Badge
I too have the same problem. I have sound bar, sub and two play ones. Sound bar goes to a switch which connects Sky q box and Apple TV. Sound cuts out for less than a second, intermittently whilst watching TV - haven't noticed problem whilst streaming music and have checked cables, which seem OK.

I could be a bit premature in saying this however, I was using my iphone as the controller. Using it mainly for the TV, I did not use the controller very much. When I tried to run the diagnostic test it it couldn't find it because I had wi-fi turned off on my phone. I turned on the Wi-Fi, ran and sent the diagnostic and haven't had a sound skip since. I've deduced it was skipping because the controller wasn't connected to the in-house wi-fi (although the speakers were). I could be wrong
I solved my 5.1 audio dropout issue. It was the LAV audio filter decoder that I had enabled on my HTPC's media player (PotPlayer) that was causing my audio dropout problem. Disabled it and I'm all good.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Hi Max, there are many threads along these lines, and I too have suffered from this issue. The conclusion from previous conversations with your support teams is that many HD broadcasts over the air or through Sky Use Dolby Digital Plus and not Dolby Digital. I have been informed that the playbar does not have true decoding for Dolby Digital Plus which is why the drop outs occur. This then leaves us with the question as to why the playbar only truly supports a surround sound format that seems to be used mainly on old technology ie DVD Along with over 1000 customers who are waiting for a reply on the DTS issue, I too am waiting for someone in Sonos to give a clear answer on what is actually going on here, instead of consistently dodging the question. Sonos reputation is slowly going down the pan because of the playbar and lack of real response.
I emailed Sonos directly. The Sonos tech support rep stated that this issue seems to only occur with Vizio televisions. I find this hard to believe but thought it would be interesting if it were true. I would like to ask everyone in this thread what type of TV you are using with your playbar. I am using a Vizio model E550i-A0. How about you?
LG 47", same isssue
Same issue. I can tell you it's not our tvs, despite what they might say, the updates won't fix the issue, one fix that has worked for me BUT IS VERY VERY VERRRRYY ANNOYING! Is turning my tv off then on again. Works ever time and it doesn't cut out for the remainder of my show/movie. I love my sonos but really this is ridiculous! I wish they would've made the playbar with an optional hdmi. I've even tried getting a better optical cable but nope!!!! Very frustrating, especially when this thing isn't even cheap to begin with!
I have the same issue and I am very dissatisfied with sonos. I paid more for this product and now I have a soundbar that doesn't work as advertised. Sonos should be sued for this. I live in Brasil and I will not call your customer care line. Be a real company and release an update to solve this problem.
I am facing the exact same issue on my surround setup (also playbar and 2 x Play1). I my case it seems to depend on the audio format of the TV channel watched. When watching channels with stereo audio I have no issues, but when watching channels with AC-3 (Dolby digital 5.1) I experience audio dropouts intermittently (typically for about 2 seconds duration). Could Sonos engineers maybe comment on these issues and if a solution is on its way?
Hi- same issue here- I have a playbar with two play 3s and a sub. Sounds cuts off for a few seconds every few minutes which is becoming annoying. Diagnostic number is 3913427. Any suggestions basis that please team sonos?
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
So... This and the sorry tales of many others drag on. I thought that Sonos had the problem licked in their previous Beta release but alas I upgraded to the latest Beta a few days ago and the Dreaded Dropout is back. If Sonos don't solve this soon I shall press for DD to not stand for Dolby Digital but instead, Sonos's....... guess?
Is this still an issue for anyone? Just purchased two Play:1s for rears and having them drop out quite frequently.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Is this still an issue for anyone? Just purchased two Play:1s for rears and having them drop out quite frequently.
Created new topic here: PLAY:1 rear drop out
I just bought the soundbar today (8/22/2015). It has the same cut out problem described in all of these posts. I'm taking it back to Best Buy tomorrow
Badge
I'm getting the same problem, where the sound through the Playbar, Sub and Play:3 pair keeps cutting out for a few seconds. This only happens when I'm watching FTA television, but doesn't happen if I'm using my Blu-ray as the tuner. Both the TV (47LM6410) and Blu-ray (HR925T) are LG products.

At all other times, such as watching cable TV, using the Nexus Player or streaming music, I don't have this problem.
Intermittent cutout on numerous channels. Just started a day ago. Diagnostic number is 4942311
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
@Hreley - wire the optical cable from the Playbar straight to your Cable Box optical port. Does audio cut out ?
Badge
@Hreley - wire the optical cable from the Playbar straight to your Cable Box optical port. Does audio cut out ?

I tried that, it didn't make any difference.

I didn't have any problems with the Playbar and SUB until I added the two surrounds (Play 3's), that's when the SUB and surrounds started cutting out all of the time. The support guys appear to have given up on the issue. I now leave the surrounds turned off, unless I'm watching a movie or streaming music.
I am having the same problem with my 4k TV. The sound cuts in and out intermittently. The optical cable is connected securely to the playbar and my TV.

What should I do to correct the problem?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I am having the same problem with my 4k TV. The sound cuts in and out intermittently. The optical cable is connected securely to the playbar and my TV.

What should I do to correct the problem?

Sorry for the delay bsate, what's the model of that 4k TV? We've seen a few TVs that had trouble with the strain of processing the 4k video along with Dolby Digital audio. Do you have this trouble when the TV is playing non-Dolby Digital audio? How about when the TV isn't playing in 4k video?

Do you mind following the steps here to submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number when you have some trouble with the audio?

Thanks
I'm experiencing the same issue with my playbar,sub, play3's.
Diagnostics #5202109.

Please help
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Diagnostics #5202109.

Please help

Hi carson24ho,

Welcome to the community. We'd love some more details on your set-up there. What is the PLAYBAR wired in to? What sources do you have trouble with, and where are they coming from?

Any specifics about this will help a lot in resolving your trouble.

Thanks
Badge
I'm having this problem too. Using my Playbar with a sub and 2 x Play 1 surrounds with a Samsung ue55js9000 4K TV and Sky box. Sound cuts out for 1-2 seconds intermittently. Not going to bother with diagnostics as enough people on here are experiencing issues to prove there is a long standing problem that needs fixing Sonos
Llanellijack - What we can say for sure is that at least 6 Sonos customers worldwide have experienced this issue. I'd recommend accepting the help that's freely offered.
Hi Ryan,

I sent the following separately to a tech offline but for the interest of others in this forum, here's the questions and my responses (prefixed with "CHO"):

Who is your Internet Service Provider?​ CHO: Verizon Fios with 150mbps up and down​
What is the model number of your router?​ CHO: NetGear Nighthawk AC1900​
What Music Service are you usin​g​?​ CHO: My issue is with sound from cable TV. My music services (e.g., Amazon Prime Music, Pandora) is fine and does not experience the sound cutting in and out issue​. Although I do no use music services as much as I do with cable TV. So I may not noticed the issue with music services.

Do you have any other networking components in your household (I.E. Networking Switches, Wireless Access Points, Etc.)?​ CHO: I do have a network switch running. But none of my sonos products are connected to it.​

Do you have a Sonos Component wired directly to your router? If so, what is this device and what are the lights doing on it (Where the ethernet cable connects and the main LED)?​ CHO: I have the Playbar connected to the router​. Lights are coming on and off as normal

What devices are you using to control your Sonos Components?​ CHO: Ipad, MS Surface, iPhone 5s, Samsung S6 edge​

Diagnostics #5202109.

Please help

Hi carson24ho,

Welcome to the community. We'd love some more details on your set-up there. What is the PLAYBAR wired in to? What sources do you have trouble with, and where are they coming from?

Any specifics about this will help a lot in resolving your trouble.

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the details carson24ho! Glad you're working with our support team already, it's good to work directly with us that way. The issue is very likely something between the sources going to your TV and reaching the PLAYBAR. Is the PLAYBAR wired directly to the TV? If so, do you have a cable box you could try wiring the PLAYBAR to instead?

What is the model of that TV as well?

Do you have multiple devices plugged into your TV? If so, do some have more trouble than others?

Feel free to update that email ticket with this information, it'll help the technician a lot.

Thanks
Hi Ryan -

I have the Sharp LC-70SQ15U. The Verizon Fios VMS1100 ARRIS cable box and an Apple TV are connected to the TV.
It's important to note that when I have the sound output from the TV set to Dolby Digital, the problem exists.

When I set the sound output to stereo, the sound no longer cuts in and out. Obviously not ideal for a $2000+ system.
Any idea how to fix the problem when I have Dolby Digital sound turned on?

Come to think of it, this problem started after I had the new verizon fios cable box installed. Could it be the playbar is not compatible with the fios box?

Thanks,
Carson
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the details Carson. It could be a problem with the signal coming from the cable box. Easy enough test there is if you have trouble with the audio from the Apple TV. Can you get Dolby Digital passed from the Apple TV to the TV to your PLAYBAR? If so, do you have any audio trouble?

If you don't it could be an issue with the signal from the cable box, and you could try wiring the PLAYBAR directly to there to see if it's something with the path with your TV in the middle.

It's always good to check if your TV has any updates available (if it's a smart TV). We've seen them fix issues with some brands.

Let us know how it goes.