Sound cutting out on playbar and play one surrounds

Whilst playing the tv through the playbar the sound to all three speakers cuts intermittently for about two seconds each time

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

230 replies

I solved my 5.1 audio dropout issue. It was the LAV audio filter decoder that I had enabled on my HTPC's media player (PotPlayer) that was causing my audio dropout problem. Disabled it and I'm all good.
KeithN: The PLAYBAR is hardwired to the Google Wifi router that is located in the basement. The basement Google Wifi router is connected to a centralized ethernet switch that feeds network connectivity to various outlets throughout the house. The PLAYBAR is connected into one of those outlets.

I'm using the 3 pack Google Wifi system. It contains 3 different Wifi points, one of which is located in the basement as described above. The second Wifi point is located in the same room as the PLAYBAR. However, it sits probably 15 feet away from the PLAYBAR. The third Wifi point is upstairs.

I've seen numerous posts with other folks experiencing the same issue with Dolby Digital 5.1 cutting out and having to switch over to PCM as the only resolution. With that said, I don't suspect wireless interference is the issue in this case. It has something to do with how the PLAYBAR is processing Dolby Digital 5.1 signals. Prior to owning the PLAYBAR, I had a LG soundbar that was being fed the same DD 5.1 and didn't experience the dropouts.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
Keith, it is the SUB that is connected to the second ethernet port on the PLAYBAR. Also, when I click >Wireless Setup I get this screen:
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Coldones: Out of curiosity, does your Google WiFi router (that is hardwired to the PLAYBAR) broadcast wireless? How far are these two devices? I ask because the diagnostic report shows significant amounts of broadcast traffic and interference. It certainly is odd that this only happens when watching Dolby Digital content. It may be a good idea to give our support technicians a call to take a closer look at whats going on.

TroyJam: While the diagnostic report shows the SUB and CONNECT:AMP both plugged into the network, the PLAYBAR seems to be plugged into the network (assuming from the switch) and another device. What device is this? Additionally, you may want to remove the wireless network credentials from Sonos. This will ensure that should Sonos fail, it doesn't move over to the wireless network. Here's how:

Sonos app for iOS or Android: From the More menu, tap Settings > Advanced Settings > Wireless Setup. On the Wireless Setup screen, click the button that says "Reset". Then click "Done" on the next screen.
Sonos Controller App for Mac: Click Sonos > Preferences > Advanced > Wireless Setup. On the Wireless Setup screen, click the button that says "Reset". Then click "Done" on the next screen.
Sonos Controller App for PC: Click Manage > Settings > Advanced > Wireless Setup. On the Wireless Setup screen, click the button that says "Reset". Then click "Done" on the next screen.
Keith, I use the latest version Apple AirPort Extreme>Netgear 8 port gigabit switch>Sonos devices.
Thanks,
Troy
Hi Keith,

Thanks for reaching out. On my PLAYBAR one of the ethernet ports is a direct hardwired connection to the Google Wifi router. The other port is being used as a network output and connects directly to the network input on my Samsung TV. There's nothing close to the PLAYBAR that is delivering a wireless signal.

Please note that the the dropout does not occur if I either: 1) turn off the Dolby Digital audio setting on the DirecTV DVR receiver or 2) I change the audio output on the TV to PCM, thus turning off the ability of the TV to pass through the 5.1 signal to the PLAYBAR. Obviously, changing either of those settings causes a degradation in sound quality.

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey there, Coldones. Thanks for the diagnostic report. I see that your PLAYBAR has both Ethernet ports used, is this connected directly to your main routing unit for Google WiFi or is this hardwired to a satellite? What else is plugged into the PLAYBAR? Are there any devices that are broadcasting a wireless signal in the immediate area? Thanks for clarifying.

Hi TroyJam. Thank you for the diagnostic. Can you tell me a little more about the local network you are working on? I see that a number of your Sonos devices are hardwired to the network. What is the make and model of the router you are working with? Do you have any wireless extenders or switches? Thanks again in advance.
Same cutting out/audio drops for me in Dolby 5.1. Diagnostic number 8450364
Bought myself a Sonos Playbar for Christmas. Having the same constant audio dropouts when watching Directv through Dolby Digital. Only way to get it to stop is switch to PCM. Very frustrated that this expensive product doesn't work properly. I just submitted diagnostic 8449674 if one of the Sonos reps wants to take a look.
Don’t let these Sonos guys keep wasting your time pretending to help. The issue doesn’t have anything at all to do with interference or your devices for most of you. The speakers just don’t work with 5.1 when they’re grouped. Go into your cable box’s settings, find the audio output settings and change it from 5.1 to stereo and watch the skipping go away. I don’t understand why they won’t just be upfront about it rather than keep wasting everyone’s time making them do all kinds of pointless nonsense.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi rmhallell, is that when grouping the PLAY:1 with your PLAYBAR in the app so they play in sync? If so, that is one of the most intensive uses of the wireless connection and most likely to have issues in a poor environment. I'd recommend that you give us a call on our support line to work with someone and make sure your setup is as clean as we can make it.
Glad you found that one, Nunzio. The VMS1100 has a specific, known issue that we have replicated with multiple non-Sonos Toslink Dolby Digital audio devices. When it's outputting Dolby Digital it will cause audio cutouts at irregular intervals.

We are working with Verizon and Arris on this one but they have not provided us with a timeframe for the trouble. When it's ready, it'll most likely be included in a firmware update for that VMS1100.

If anyone's still having trouble I'd recommend give us a call on our support line and working with a technician live. We'll help identify where the issue is coming from, and provide workarounds where possible.

Like so many on this thread, I am having audio cutouts when pairing my PLAY1 with my soundbar when the source is TV. No issue music.

Signal Path
Amazon fire stick —> LG TV —> Optical output into player + wireless pair to router. We're not using a FiOS TV box.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Glad you found that one, Nunzio. The VMS1100 has a specific, known issue that we have replicated with multiple non-Sonos Toslink Dolby Digital audio devices. When it's outputting Dolby Digital it will cause audio cutouts at irregular intervals.

We are working with Verizon and Arris on this one but they have not provided us with a timeframe for the trouble. When it's ready, it'll most likely be included in a firmware update for that VMS1100.

If anyone's still having trouble I'd recommend give us a call on our support line and working with a technician live. We'll help identify where the issue is coming from, and provide workarounds where possible.
I finally figured out the solution for this problem with my Playbar, Samsung TV, and Verizon Fios box. Not sure if it will work for everyone else but wanted to pass it along. I've been living with increasingly frequent sound cutouts so it was great to resolve this.

The problem was a the audio format coming out of the Fios box. I had tried all kinds of adjustments to the Samsung TV menus with no success. What I needed to do was force the Fios box to transmit audio in PCM instead of the factory default Auto setting. I think you will lose the surround effects and just have stereo sound, but that was totally worth it to me for no sound cutouts.

My Fios box model number is VMS1100. You can download the manual here if you need it: http://www.verizon.com/cs/groups/public/documents/adacct/vms1100_install_ops_manual-s.pdf

You need to go to a hidden menu to make the adjustment on the Fios box - it isn't accessible with the normal remote menus. On my Fios system, you access it by holding the "D" button on the remote down for five seconds. The relevant menu items are detailed in pages 35-40 of the manual.

Once you hold the "D" button down for five seconds, you will enter the Basic User Interface (BUI) menu, which is normally only utilized by the Fios technicians. Navigate to "User Settings" then navigate to "Additional HDMI Settings" then to "Audio Output Mode"

Switch "Audio Output" from "Auto" to "L-PCM" then exit out of the settings menu.

I believe you will lose multi-channel home theater sound and it will now be in Stereo but that wasn't a huge deal with a single Playbar. I haven't had a single cutout since and I was having them as often as ever minute or two before. Hope this helps.
Badge
So.....it's been 6 months. My Sonos sound and my Samsung TV still goes in and out. Is there any relief for us unsuspecting souls that bought this equipment?
Marc,

If the issue is with the playback of the TV only, and not streaming music, connecting it to your router won't make any difference. The signal from your TV to the Playbar is only through the optical cable. So there are a couple of things I'd look at. First, make sure the cable is seated properly at both ends. When I moved recently, I found that I hadn't properly seated one end, and it only showed up as occasional issues, since most of the time it was "close enough".

Second, make sure the optical cable hasn't been crimped. If possible, try switching to another optical cable. They're fairly cheap to buy, as long as you don't get sucked into the "more expensive is better". Either it carries the optical signal, or it doesn't. More expensive cables aren't actually better.

Lastly, double check the audio settings on your TV set. I've seen cases reported where somehow they got changed. Maybe by a power surge? I'm not sure. But make sure that your Sony is set to do PCM or Dolby Digital.

Best of luck!
Badge
I'm having the same intermittent audio drop issue with my PLAYBAR which is hardwired to my Sony TV (KDL-50W800B) via optical. Note, the issue only persists when playing TV audio and not while streaming music. At current, my PLAYBAR is connected to home network wirelessly which is two feet in proximity. Should I hardwire it to my router via CAT5? I have two PLAY1s being delivered and hope to resolve this problem soon. Diagnostic 6808626.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks Ryan! I will try that this evening when I get home. On another note apparently your forum has issues with Firefox browser. I could not for the life of me access this page #9 in a firefox over the weekend( nor could I this morning) then, it dawned on me to try it in Safari and no problem. Every time I tried to click on it it would take me to page #1 and a post from 2 years ago. I even tried a post to see if it would default there and same result. Weird. Just thought you's like to know.

I set it on PCM. I can tell you I didn't like it immediately. It sounds as if I just lost 75% of the quality sound and had to increase the volume. I had this racket before I bought sonos. Color me unhappy

I understand completely. We reached out to Samsung about the issue and they've been working to address. Hopefully we'll see an update for those TVs soon as this issue affects any device connected to their optical port, not just the PLAYBAR.
Badge
[quote=Ryan S]Thanks Ryan! I will try that this evening when I get home. On another note apparently your forum has issues with Firefox browser. I could not for the life of me access this page #9 in a firefox over the weekend( nor could I this morning) then, it dawned on me to try it in Safari and no problem. Every time I tried to click on it it would take me to page #1 and a post from 2 years ago. I even tried a post to see if it would default there and same result. Weird. Just thought you's like to know.

I set it on PCM. I can tell you I didn't like it immediately. It sounds as if I just lost 75% of the quality sound and had to increase the volume. I had this racket before I bought sonos. Color me unhappy
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks Ryan! I will try that this evening when I get home. On another note apparently your forum has issues with Firefox browser. I could not for the life of me access this page #9 in a firefox over the weekend( nor could I this morning) then, it dawned on me to try it in Safari and no problem. Every time I tried to click on it it would take me to page #1 and a post from 2 years ago. I even tried a post to see if it would default there and same result. Weird. Just thought you's like to know.

Thanks, we'll take a look.
Badge
I don't have an Apple TV. But, the playbar is plugged into the TV (Samsung HUD) Is it no supposed to be there? There is a fitting (I don't know the name of it) on the wire that fits the TV

Ryan
Somehow I have lost the part of the thread with the link you pointed out. Can you post that again?

Not a problem. It's here. If the link code doesn't work, try this one: https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/samsung-jsju-model-tvs-audio-issue-with-playbar-6736004/. For the moment, until those Samsung TVs are working again the thread is on our incompatibility list https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1931/ .

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I don't have an Apple TV. But, the playbar is plugged into the TV (Samsung HUD) Is it no supposed to be there? There is a fitting (I don't know the name of it) on the wire that fits the TV

Ryan
Somehow I have lost the part of the thread with the link you pointed out. Can you post that again?

Not a problem. It's here. If the link code doesn't work, try this one: https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/samsung-jsju-model-tvs-audio-issue-with-playbar-6736004/. For the moment, until those Samsung TVs are working again the thread is on our incompatibility list https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1931/ .
Badge
For whatever reason page 9 of the thread is not available to view?
Badge

Ryan
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
BigCrank, that wouldn't happen to be a Samsung JS or JU model TV would it? If it is, we identified a problem with the optical signal coming from that TV which affects any optical speakers connected to it. We have a thread on the issue here which we'll update as soon as there are any developments.

What is the exact model of your TV? This can be found on the back of the TV.

Sorry for the delay. Getting to the back of my TV is a bit of a task. The model number is "UN55JS7000F"

That's what I suspected BigCrank, if you take a look at the link I posted above, there's a known issue with that TV's optical audio output and external sound system. We're working with Samsung to develop a fix for them. We'll update that thread when we have confirmation a fix has been published, it'll be in the form of a software update for the TV.