Sound cutting out on playbar and play one surrounds

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

230 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Thank you for the update, Brice! Update from me:  I have added a bridge downstairs (where the play bar is) and this did not fix issue. I've reassigned my channels on my router and will test again. 
Hello all! Tier 2 provided me a software update yesterday evening which I applied and testing now. I have College football cranked up so I can hear throughout my house, so far so good but not claiming victory yet. Need to go most of the day without cutouts before I am comfortable this did the trick. Not sure if this fix is specific to my environment or not but we can get Sono support to clarify. Will keep this thread up to date over the weekend as I test the fix out and let everyone know. Keep your fingers crossed !!
any further info Brice??? 12-10-13
Userlevel 2
Hello all! Tier 2 provided me a software update yesterday evening which I applied and testing now. I have College football cranked up so I can hear throughout my house, so far so good but not claiming victory yet. Need to go most of the day without cutouts before I am comfortable this did the trick. Not sure if this fix is specific to my environment or not but we can get Sono support to clarify. Will keep this thread up to date over the weekend as I test the fix out and let everyone know. Keep your fingers crossed !!
Hi Tom, well the update Sonos support provide did NOT fix the issue, still occurring. They want to do more diagnostics this week. But first I am actually replacing my COX DVR with a new TIVO since the Cox DVR was just temporary until my TIVO came in, so there is still a chance the issue is origionated from the Cox DVR. So today I will do some testing with the new TIVO as the Audio source so we will see. IF the issue still occurs, I will be getting back with Sonos support for more detail diags. More to come.....
I just added a PLAYBAR to my existing SONOS system (BRIDGE, CONNECT, PLAY 5), and I am having the same problem--TV audio cuts out for a few seconds every 30 seconds or so.  (Diagnostic Confirmation Numbers: 3289893 and 3289898)  Have there been any updates from technical support regarding this issue?
Userlevel 1
Badge
I have tried adding an extra bridge to strengthen signal, along with changing the control channels on both my Sonos system and my router - No luck.
Diagnostic numbers (one per wireless channel configuration) are 3279664, 3284437 and 3290009.
Sonos tech support, please respond.  
Not hearing from a Sonos Rep or Tech for two weeks is pretty scary.  Not the kind of customer service I am used to.  The silence is deafening.  On another thread I saw a Sonos rep respond to someone by saying we have no news to report that's why you haven't heard from us. I would hope if they are working on the problem and can reasonably expect to resolve it, they would talk to us at least once a week to let us know they are listening and continuing to work on the problem.  Is that a reasonable request from a customer Sonos?  I'm watching the calendar very carefully so that I can return the product within the return period.
Hi Max, there are many threads along these lines, and I too have suffered from this issue. The conclusion from previous conversations with your support teams is that many HD broadcasts over the air or through Sky Use Dolby Digital Plus and not Dolby Digital. I have been informed that the playbar does not have true decoding for Dolby Digital Plus which is why the drop outs occur. This then leaves us with the question as to why the playbar only truly supports a surround sound format that seems to be used mainly on old technology ie DVD Along with over 1000 customers who are waiting for a reply on the DTS issue, I too am waiting for someone in Sonos to give a clear answer on what is actually going on here, instead of consistently dodging the question. Sonos reputation is slowly going down the pan because of the playbar and lack of real response.
Do you think that this can be fixed with a software update?
I am facing the exact same issue on my surround setup (also playbar and 2 x Play1). I my case it seems to depend on the audio format of the TV channel watched. When watching channels with stereo audio I have no issues, but when watching channels with AC-3 (Dolby digital 5.1) I experience audio dropouts intermittently (typically for about 2 seconds duration). Could Sonos engineers maybe comment on these issues and if a solution is on its way?

My husband was able to correct this same problem using a TV setting and by using an HDMI cable to connect our DishNetwork box, instead of the split red, yellow & white cable. 
Userlevel 2
Hi Max, there are many threads along these lines, and I too have suffered from this issue. The conclusion from previous conversations with your support teams is that many HD broadcasts over the air or through Sky Use Dolby Digital Plus and not Dolby Digital. I have been informed that the playbar does not have true decoding for Dolby Digital Plus which is why the drop outs occur. This then leaves us with the question as to why the playbar only truly supports a surround sound format that seems to be used mainly on old technology ie DVD Along with over 1000 customers who are waiting for a reply on the DTS issue, I too am waiting for someone in Sonos to give a clear answer on what is actually going on here, instead of consistently dodging the question. Sonos reputation is slowly going down the pan because of the playbar and lack of real response.
I worked with Sonos support Friday they did an audio tap on my playbar I was able to re-create the problem easily with playback from my DVR so we will see what they come up with. Brice
Userlevel 1
Badge
I emailed Sonos directly. The Sonos tech support rep stated that this issue seems to only occur with Vizio televisions. I find this hard to believe but thought it would be interesting if it were true. I would like to ask everyone in this thread what type of TV you are using with your playbar. I am using a Vizio model E550i-A0. How about you?
I am using a TV-Panasonic-TC-P65VT25 and in above text another user is using a 2013 Panasonic TC-P55ST60.  I guess the sonos tech support is wrong.  How about rest of you still on this thread?  What TV are you using?  That is if you haven't abanonded your Sonos system and returnd it out of frustration for a known problem that is at least a month old. 

SONOS, HOW ABOUT AN UPDATE!!
I emailed Sonos directly. The Sonos tech support rep stated that this issue seems to only occur with Vizio televisions. I find this hard to believe but thought it would be interesting if it were true. I would like to ask everyone in this thread what type of TV you are using with your playbar. I am using a Vizio model E550i-A0. How about you?
Samsung 60" plasma
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks, Heather. It just didn't sound right. Tech support even suggested I return the Vizio and pick up a Samsung instead! (Purchased the Vizio 2 weeks ago). Unreal.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I was surprised they suggested I return the TV. Other workaround suggested was that I change my TV output to PCM (stereo) since my TV would not output SRS via optical out anyway. I changed this setting but still having issue.
I was surprised they suggested I return the TV. Other workaround suggested was that I change my TV output to PCM (stereo) since my TV would not output SRS via optical out anyway. I changed this setting but still having issue.
Sounds like Sonos is frustrated with a known problem that they have't been able to resolve, so they are grasping at straws.....
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I have had this issue for months and am using. Samsung 2013 smart tv, so suggesting you change to a samsung tv is bad advice. I gave up on this issue as tech support told me it was due to Dolby digital plus being used for many transmissions and the playbar only supports Dolby digital and Dolby digital plus. I am also concerned that when clicking on the link to this conversation just now, gave me a message that this thread was archived and not visable to the community. Can this really be correct ? Are they trying to hide something ?
Userlevel 1
Badge
I just did a search under the exact title this thread is under and no results. This topic is not visible 😞
I have a SONY 40" LED TV (Model # KDL-40EX600).
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello,

I just wanted to update you all here. This thread currently has a few different issues that are getting grouped together as the same thing but are actually different.

There is a specific issue where the rear surround speakers will flutter quietly up and down in volume on some systems. This occurs only when playing PCM or stereo sound (like you would get from many normal TV channels). We have a patch available for the systems experiencing this issue which has had great success.

This thread was updated already with this information but we apologize for not posting the same information here (or merging the two together).

If you're experiencing an issue where the Surrounds for your TV sound very quiet or will flutter in audio please reply back to this post with a diagnostic from your system and we'll get you flagged for that patch.

If one of your channels is cutting out but not the other, such as greg78x seems to be experiencing, than I'd recommend giving us a call on our Customer Care Line to continue troubleshooting. 

Cheers.
Hello,

I just wanted to update you all here. This thread currently has a few different issues that are getting grouped together as the same thing but are actually different.

There is a specific issue where the rear surround speakers will flutter quietly up and down in volume on some systems. This occurs only when playing PCM or stereo sound (like you would get from many normal TV channels). We have a patch available for the systems experiencing this issue which has had great success.

This thread was updated already with this information but we apologize for not posting the same information here (or merging the two together).

If you're experiencing an issue where the Surrounds for your TV sound very quiet or will flutter in audio please reply back to this post with a diagnostic from your system and we'll get you flagged for that patch.

If one of your channels is cutting out but not the other, such as greg78x seems to be experiencing, than I'd recommend giving us a call on our Customer Care Line to continue troubleshooting. 

Cheers.

3313725 Diagnostic Number.  My sound on my play 1's in surround sound mode flutter in and out when using TV.  Please see my prior posts for reference.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello,

Cheers.

Thanks TomUno,

It does look like you're having this issue and I've flagged your system for the update. Go ahead and select Manage > Check for Software Updates and there should be one available. You should be all set. If you're still having issues, can you please reach out directly to our Support Team through Phone or Email as we're watching how this update behaves very closely?

Cheers.
Hello,

Cheers.

@ryan Having same issue. Report#3316801 Thanks
Hello,

Cheers.

Having issues myself. Diagnostic number #3316972
Userlevel 2
Hello,

Cheers.

#3317681. Choppy sound not so much at the time of the diagnostic test but most often when watching "normal" TV and such. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello,

Cheers.

Hello Elvin and Jeff,

Your system have both been flagged for that update. Go ahead and check for updates and install the latest version. Once again, if you have any trouble with the system please give us a call on our Customer Care line or email us directly as we're monitoring this update very closely.

@HaxAxel that diagnostic shows your system isn't registered. Can you please go to Help > Sonos System Registration and make sure you're registered? If it says you are, you'll want to give a call to our Customer Care line so a technician can take a look at the system and get you setup.

Cheers.