Sound cutting in and out frequently

• 21 October 2020
  • 16 replies

Badge +1

I have been having trouble with my Sonos Arc. I just received it in the last few weeks and the audio cutting out is driving me crazy.

Sound Cutting in and out:

The issue I have been having with my Sonos Arc is where the sound cuts out for about ¼ to 1/2 a second and comes right back. I can watching flawlessly for an hour and it not happen, and then it happens every 5 to 10 seconds. 

Setup:

TV: LG UN8500, pass through turned on, if I change this to PCM or auto, instead of cut outs, I hear a kind of staticky weird slight garble?

SYSTEM: Sonos Arc paired with two rear Sonos Play One SL, for surround sound speakers, and Sonos sub gen 3

STREAMING DEVICE: Nvidia Shield Pro (2019)

My issue: 

I have been experiencing the sound cutting in and out on my Sonos Arc during playback. I am using 8k hdmi cables. I mainly watch with Plex, but also happening in Netflix. 

I went ahead and submitted diagnostics a few minutes ago, 159989773, just in case it’s useful. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Badge +1

I don’t understand! It’s done it 3 times in 10 seconds!

I unplugged the tv power only, for 10 seconds, plugged it back in and it seems to not be doing it every 2 seconds. I’ve not heard it do it since plugging it back in (3 minutes) but sometimes I can go an hour before it starts doing it over and over again. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @tjleonard, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos Community. I appreciate you for providing us with a detailed concern and the diagnostic report. Let me help you and figure out what's happening.

Upon checking, there's a communication problem between your Sonos speakers and your network, either between Sonos devices and your router or between Sonos and the internet.

Let me suggest the following steps to see if this would work for you.

1. Unplug the HDMI cable from the Sonos Arc and the TV. 
2. Unplug the power cable from your TV, the Sonos Arc, and any connected audio source (such as a cable box or video game console). Wait 30 seconds before you plug them back in.
2. Reconnect the HDMI cable to your TV and the Sonos Arc. Inspect the HDMI cable to ensure it’s not bent or kinked and check to see that it’s fully inserted into both devices.
3. Update the TV’s software (if available)
4. Adjust the audio format
5. Adjust the group audio delay

After performing the steps above and you're still experiencing the same, please submit a diagnostic report and post here the confirmation number to check your system functionality and to further assist you with this.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above. We'll wait for your reply.

Badge +1

Hi @tjleonard, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos Community. I appreciate you for providing us with a detailed concern and the diagnostic report. Let me help you and figure out what's happening.

Upon checking, there's a communication problem between your Sonos speakers and your network, either between Sonos devices and your router or between Sonos and the internet.

Let me suggest the following steps to see if this would work for you.

1. Unplug the HDMI cable from the Sonos Arc and the TV. 
2. Unplug the power cable from your TV, the Sonos Arc, and any connected audio source (such as a cable box or video game console). Wait 30 seconds before you plug them back in.
2. Reconnect the HDMI cable to your TV and the Sonos Arc. Inspect the HDMI cable to ensure it’s not bent or kinked and check to see that it’s fully inserted into both devices.
3. Update the TV’s software (if available)
4. Adjust the audio format
5. Adjust the group audio delay

After performing the steps above and you're still experiencing the same, please submit a diagnostic report and post here the confirmation number to check your system functionality and to further assist you with this.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above. We'll wait for your reply.

Hi,

I only have the problem when the audio is Atmos on Netflix or Plex. 

I have done the steps above and even changed out the HDMI cables  

Unplugging the TV for 15 seconds and plugging it back in seems to help the issue when it starts to occur several times per minute. 

Badge +1

I found that I submitted this too: 1737454426

Can you see if this looks like the same problem? It did it several times within a short amount of time. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @tjleonard, thank you for your response. I appreciate you in performing the steps that we provided and for submitting the diagnostic report. Let me check it for you.

Based on the diagnostics, the eARC connection is unstable. You may want to check this community thread as well which may help you with the issue.

Try to change the audio format to Dolby Digital 2.0. Start the playback from Netflix and see if you will experience the same. 

Other TV streaming devices such as Nvidia Shield can output Dolby Digital Plus (Atmos). Although this might work, some TV and movie streaming services now support Dolby Atmos. Services like Netflix require a specific subscription tier to get access to Dolby Atmos content. Note that even if a service supports Dolby Atmos, some shows and movies may not have Dolby Atmos audio. Check with your streaming service provider to see if they support Dolby Atmos.

If you need help with any other information, please feel free to reach out. The Sonos community is always here to help.

Badge +1

Thanks for the quick look!

In the thread you linked, it mentions a bug that Sonos engineers are working on. Does the log I submitted look like I’m facing the same bug? I will still try the steps above. 

I don’t seem to have the issue on anything that is not HD audio or atmos. I am currently streaming with a Shield Pro, but also have a 4K Apple TV I can try. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @tjleonard, thank you for your quick response and for updating us.

Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions.

You're always welcome here.

Badge +1

Seems to still be doing it. 

Is this a bug that will be fixed or is this another problem?

I submitted 2538854 and 1457549134. 

Badge +1

Increased the delay to still have a problem, submitted 1401430344. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @tjleonard, thank you for your response and for submitting the diagnostics reports.

Based on the diagnostic, there are no changes from the previous report that you sent us. However, the last diagnostic showing that you're not connected to your Sonos system.

We really appreciate the time and effort you've spent doing all the troubleshooting steps. I understand that an issue must be resolved as soon as possible. In this specific scenario, we are still awaiting an update from our engineers for the development but as of this writing, we haven't received any.

Our engineers are actively working to resolve this. Please bear with us while our team is working towards a resolution. It will be resolved in a future software update but we don't have any time frames to share right now. 

You can also reach out to our Sonos Customer Care support continue working with us over the phone to expedite the process and provide the best options for you.

If you need help with any other information, please feel free to reach out. The Sonos community is always here to help.

Badge +1

Hi Rowena,

For the last report, I might have submitted it not long after a power cycle of the TV...so that might have showed it as being disconnected.

Are you saying that this is the same bug or problem that most others posting similar experiences are having? If so, i’m comfortable to know that it WILL be fixed sometime in the near future. If it’s different, I need to figure out what’s going on.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I am having an exact same issue with anything Atmos related.  Tried watching Mandalorian which is Atmos on ATV4k and Roku and make screeching sound and weird noises.  Tested Atmos in Amazon Prime and Netflix and same issues. 

Does not happen with 5.1 or less.  

Must be a Sonos Arc issue.  Tried all the steps above and nothing works.  

Any ideas.  Really need to get this fixed asap.

Thanks!

Badge +1

I haven’t got a confirmation that my issue is a bug yet. I think it is, but the Sonos rep hasn’t said or not.

I will say a screeching noise makes me wonder if yours is different. What kind of tv do you have?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi folks,

Thank you for your response and we really appreciate your patience while we are working through this. 

Our Sonos engineers investigate this issue and work for a solution that works for users experiencing the same, but we don't have any timeframe to share.

Let me share the following threads in the community for your reference:

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/arc-tv-sound-cuts-in-and-out-6842963
https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/sonos-arc-samsung-q90t-sound-cutting-out-anyone-else-6843526

eARC should always be enabled if possible to get the most out of the Sonos Arc. If your TV is having trouble when eARC is enabled and you're using streaming services like Netflix, you can disable the eARC from the TV settings because the streaming audio will still be compressed and you'll still get Atmos and most probably we’re investigating it.  
For 4k Bluray or any hard media plugged in directly to the TV and has Atmos, always enable eARC because eARC always looks for uncompressed audio. Here’s helpful videoes about it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLlaGs2lhIw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbTD0hqJWQ

Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions. We and the community are always here to help.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I haven’t got a confirmation that my issue is a bug yet. I think it is, but the Sonos rep hasn’t said or not.

I will say a screeching noise makes me wonder if yours is different. What kind of tv do you have?

I am having an exact same issue with anything Atmos related.  Tried watching Mandalorian which is Atmos on ATV4k and Roku and make screeching sound and weird noises.  Tested Atmos in Amazon Prime and Netflix and same issues. 

Thanks!

If you haven’t read or heard, the tv manufacturers are coming out with a software update that fixes this issue. I know Sony has and also Samsung. I read where LG has just come out with a fix also. It’s rolling out to different regions at different times. I had issues with my Sony but resolved now it seems. Not a Sonos issue.

Thanks!

If you haven’t read or heard, the tv manufacturers are coming out with a software update that fixes this issue. I know Sony has and also Samsung. I read where LG has just come out with a fix also. It’s rolling out to different regions at different times. I had issues with my Sony but resolved now it seems. Not a Sonos issue.

@Dogdad HI, do you have a source or more details for that info? Samsung owner here, and nothing new from them.