Answered

Sort music by folders?

• 1 October 2016
  • 17 replies

Hi all,

I just got a new Play5 and the app for Android. Is there any possible way to sort music by folders? If not, this thing is worthless to me. Are there any alternative apps that can sort my music on my phone by folders?

Thanks,
flow
icon

Best answer by Chris 1 October 2016, 23:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

There is a folders view at the bottom of the My Music Library source menu.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Hi all,

I just got a new Play5 and the app for Android. Is there any possible way to sort music by folders? If not, this thing is worthless to me. Are there any alternative apps that can sort my music on my phone by folders?

Thanks,
flow

Why do you want to. You can search and list by what would be in your folders. File details are stored by metadata. All apps do this. What folder the files are in is irrelevant.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I actually use Folder view a good bit on mine as I have music sorted by date that way.

This folder view applies to your music that resides on home computer or NAS that you have Sonos pointing to.
Hi jgatie,

Where is the "My Music Library source menu" ?

When I start up the Android Sonos app all I see is:

Sonos Favorites
Sonos Playlists
On this Mobile Device
Radio by Tinein
Add Music Services
Line in
Alarms
Help
Settings

Thanks,
flow
Hi Chris,

I am just trying to play music that is stored locally on my Android phone. It seems it is not possible to view by folders this way?

Thanks,
flow
Ok added a NAS and this works now. Thanks!
Userlevel 1
I sort all my music by folder. I can't believe it's that much effort for sonos to implement this in the app. It makes my android device almost unusable for streaming.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I sort all my music by folder. I can't believe it's that much effort for sonos to implement this in the app. It makes my android device almost unusable for streaming.

Go to My Music. Then Folders. Then click on on the share you added for My Music. Then it lists Your folders.

Guess what?

It is in alphabetical order
It does not sort your music on say your phone by folder.. just on a NAS, so I think that is why he is upset. It upset me too, until I just created a NAS.
Userlevel 1

Go to My Music. Then Folders. Then click on on the share you added for My Music. Then it lists Your folders.

Guess what?

It is in alphabetical order

If I go into "On This Mobile Device", there is no view by folder like in the "Music Library" section.
That is correct. The only folder view is in My Music Library. There is none on the mobile device, and I doubt there will be in the future. If you really need folder view, I suggest downloading all music to a computer or NAS instead of your mobile device.
Userlevel 1
And why would Sonos not implement this in the future ? Many Android apps, especially music apps, support it (i.e. Poweramp). For those of us who use folder view, that would be extremely useful. I already have a PC that serves as a kind of NAS, but still find myself wanting to listen to music on my phone sometimes (when the PC is off, for example).
Too bad this feature doesn't exist. I like to sort my music by year and I'd love to just be able to play music from a particular folder like can do with the countless other available Android apps
One year later and they still haven't implemented it. I too like to browse my music collection by folder as I do with PowerAmp.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It's not coming. If you want folder view do as above and add to a nas.
If you don't have a NAS it's a rather expensive way to get folder view
Does anyone know an Android app that connects to SONOS but allows folder-view from an SD card?
I tried the Double-Twist app, but the app seems to have a few bugs.

any help much appreciated?