Sony X900e / XE9005 audio delay with ATV 4k over HDMI

• 13 January 2022
  • 8 replies

Since the end of December I have acquired the Sonos Arc, Sub Gen 3 and 2 one SLs.

Very happy with the sound quality overall! Sounds just a bit boomier (bass on -3 and sound sub a bit lower) than my previous separate Jamo speakers, Klipsch 100sw sub and Yamaha receiver.

But what an incredibly good soundstage and just solid sound. A great added value for TV, Series and Movies. I am already a fan.

Only problem: This runs to my Sony XE9005 TV which only supports HDMI-ARC. The Sony native apps Netflix, Disney+ and youtube work well (including Atmos over DD+) - no to little audio delay - maximum 10-30ms, almost imperceptible.

The connected Apple TV 4k (HDMI to Sony), on the other hand... This causes huge lip sync issues (Infuse, Netflix, Disney+) with a typical audio delay of 100-250ms. After hours and hours of troubleshooting and tweaking all possible settings, cables, etc, I've solved it for now by adjusting the audio delay via the alternative media player app MrMC. Depending on the codecs used within the media files, I sometimes have to adjust it a bit, but for most files it's around 240ms. Other Apple TV media apps that do not have an adjustable audio delay are unfortunately no longer useful.

My hope is that this problem will be completely eliminated when I buy an eARC TV in the next few years. Previously, when my Apple TV was still connected to the Yamaha receiver, I had no lip sync issues at all.

If anyone can recommend a good eARC TV that works well with this Sonos setup, I'd love to hear about it. Slight preference for Sony due to superior motion in film and series.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Maybe keep the current TV and just add an audio extractor to the setup instead, like the HDFury Arcana. It would eliminate the lip-sync issues whilst still providing support for the Arc’s currently supported codecs.

Maybe keep the current TV and just add an audio extractor to the setup instead, like the HDFury Arcana. It would eliminate the lip-sync issues whilst still providing support for the Arc’s currently supported codecs.

It is a potential solution I have come accross on many different posts.. indeed. 

I do see a few reported issues on the HDfury Arcana though. Audio drop out (Users have to reboot and reconnect HDfury for it to work properly again), black picture, irregularities, stuff like that. 

It is a potential solution I have come accross on many different posts.. indeed. 

I do see a few reported issues on the HDfury Arcana though. Audio drop out (Users have to reboot and reconnect HDfury for it to work properly again), black picture, irregularities, stuff like that. 

If you can get one where you live, there is also this Arcana alternative:

VAX04101A

https://feintech.eu/en/products/feintech-vax04101-hdmi-earc-pass-switch-4x1

If you can get one where you live, there is also this Arcana alternative:

VAX04101A

https://feintech.eu/en/products/feintech-vax04101-hdmi-earc-pass-switch-4x1

First time I’m seeing this one. I can get either (Belgium), but the VAX04101 has some interesting options + it’s cheaper, 159 euro vs 224 euro for HDFury. 

I’ll look into it. Thanks!

First time I’m seeing this one. I can get either (Belgium), but the VAX04101 has some interesting options + it’s cheaper, 159 euro vs 224 euro for HDFury. 

It definitely does work, I have one myself. I use it with a Nvidia Shield TV and get perfectly lip-synced Atmos audio using an older LG TV that has HDMI-ARC port only and a Beam (gen2).

It definitely does work, I have one myself. I use it with a Nvidia Shield TV and get perfectly lip-synced Atmos audio using an older LG TV that has HDMI-ARC port only and a Beam (gen2).

Really good. I wonder whether the cheaper ARC version (https://www.amazon.de/FeinTech-VAX04101A-Switch-HDMI-Quellen-Soundbar/dp/B08H8M1FGC?th=1) would be good enough. Some used new state ones for 56 euros. Can you leave this powered on the whole time? Is there a lipsync specific setting (adjust delay manually) on this device, as the Arcana has?

I choose to leave the device powered on all the time. It comes with IR remote too, but I also use a Harmony Hub/Alexa to change its inputs.

I’m not sure what the model differences are, other than I think the dearer version is flash upgradable so the firmware can be updated, so I paid the extra to have that feature.

This is my unit that works well for me:

Ah I see the cheaper version is Arc only, so no support for Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Mat or multichannel LPCM, which you will need if running Apple TV 4K, or a Blu-ray player.