Sony KDL-46V2500 incompatible

• 3 December 2020
  • 3 replies

I see this was asked a year ago and closed. Re-asking, because indeed the Sony KDL-46V2500 will not connect to beam via hdmi/optical adapter. Any workarounds?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Zeissikon

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. Allow me to share with you some information to help you out.

The Sonos Beam must be connected to your Sony TV's HDMI-ARC input and your TV needs to have HDMI-CEC enabled. You can also connect your Beam via an optical adapter. Most TV's are compatible with Sonos home theater speakers, some may need additional configuration or may not work with Sonos. Upon checking the specifications of your Sony KDL-46V2500 has 2 HDMI inputs and Digital Optical Audio Out but it doesn't have HDMI-ARC input which is required to work with your Sonos Beam.

Here are the steps needed to check on your Sony TV settings. The steps only apply using Optical Digital Audio Out.

• Check if Digital Audio Out is not muted
    • Press the ACTION MENU button, then select Speakers > Audio system.
    • Within Sound settings, set Headphone/Audio out to Audio out (Fixed).
    • Set Digital audio out volume to Max.
      • If TV speakers and Hi-Res upscaling (DSEE HX) is set to Auto, Digital Audio Out (Optical) is muted.

After checking the TV settings and still doesn't connect, this means that your Sony TV is not compatible with Sonos. You may try to reach out to Sony to check for any TV configuration. Please feel free to reach out if you have any other questions.

Thank you so much for responding. Unfortunately it appears that my Sony TV is not compatible. I followed all of your suggestions as well as some others. On the bright side (and may be helpful to others), I was able to set up beam (and a Sonos one & SL) in home theatre configuration using a borrowed compatible tv. I then disconnected borrowed tv and hooked up my Apple TV to my Sony tv and can enjoy the Sonos via AirPlay for anything viewed through AppleTV . Also of note; if I connect optical/HDMI adapter I get sound on broadcast digital channels through my Sonos. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Zeissikon, thanks for your response and for updating us. We appreciate you for sharing this with us. I’m glad that you were able to complete the home theater configuration for your Sonos Beam, Sonos One, and Sonos One SL on another TV. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have further questions or concerns. We are always happy to help out.