SonosNet Wifi Interference and Support Advice.

• 23 February 2021
  • 6 replies

I’ve been troubleshooting audio dropouts for many months now.  I suspect it might have something to do with a flaky internet connection but I have not been able to prove it yet.  In the mean time, I’ve been submitting diagnostics reports and working with Sonos support to try to eliminate any issues with the sonos itself.   I’ve been through all of the usual suspects.  Replaced the cable.  Replaced the router. Added a switch between the router and the connect to isolate a possible faulty port on either side of the cable, and using a different port on the Sonos connect.   I have to explain this every time I connect with support, even if I have an existing case number, as they always tell me “its probably a bad cable”.

This question is specifically about sonosnet.  According to support, this is the latest cause of my audio issues.  I have a single sonos connect hard wired to a switch which is connected to the router.  This is the only sonos device on the network.  Previously, support said they were seeing lots of interference on the wifi and that could be causing issues, even though it’s hard wired.  And that I should disable the wifi.  So I did that.

Now the tech is telling me that I should turn the wifi ON so I can change the sonosnet channel.  How exactly is the device getting interference if the wifi is turned off?  And how would changing the Sonosnet channel on a wired device change anything?  Also, two other things they said.  I should turn it back OFF after I change the channel. What?? 

And that the sonosnet channel could be interfering with the routers wireless channel, thereby causing issues with the controller. (Phone app).  Again, the connect’s wifi is OFF.

Can someone make sense of this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Not at all. I’ll be charitable and suggest that the support agent was confused.

What sources are you trying to listen to on your wired Connect?

I see other Sonos products listed on your profile, but not a Connect. What exactly do you have, and how are they all connected up?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Just to make sure there is no confusion, the WiFi off is mislabeled and is actually Radio off.

With the radio off I agree that there should be no RF issues, SonosNet or WiFi.

Have you tried streaming local music from your Music Library and seeing if the dropout issue changes? That would let you eliminate the local network (not the router though) if that is working properly.

Not at all. I’ll be charitable and suggest that the support agent was confused.

What sources are you trying to listen to on your wired Connect?

I see other Sonos products listed on your profile, but not a Connect. What exactly do you have, and how are they all connected up?

The source would be Pandora.  This is a device at a business and not at my home.  There is only one device and it’s hard wired to a switch which is wired to the router.   It’s a small business and there are only a few network devices on the network at any given time.

Have you tried streaming local music from your Music Library and seeing if the dropout issue changes? That would let you eliminate the local network (not the router though) if that is working properly.

We have not tried that.  The person on location is using an Iphone and it looks like playing music from the controller (phone) is no longer an option.  It’s there on android devices, but not on iphones.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Just put a bit of music on a PC or Mac and connect it to your Sonos to see if that works. You could also use any SMB v1 compatible NAS share to test things.

Just put a bit of music on a PC or Mac and connect it to your Sonos to see if that works. You could also use any SMB v1 compatible NAS share to test things.

That’s a good idea.  There is a single PC on the network.  Can add some local music to it and try playing from it when it drops out.