Answered

SonosNet signal strength

• 9 December 2019
  • 10 replies

Badge +1

I have a Sonos Boost wired to the Fritz Box router. I have speakers dotted about the house using SonosNet but my dining room Play 5 keeps dropping out. Sonos Support said that it looked as if the signal strength was low in the dining room which might account for it. Today I received a Fritz Repeater which apparently provides a mesh network - better than the old network extender. Logically it shouldn’t have helped the speaker problem and sure enougn it hasn’t!

I have moved the speaker that drops out, a little nearer the Boost - within the constraints of my wife’s parameters. If this doesn’t work, can I do anythig with an old Bridge to boost the signal? Would it be worth moving the Boost away from the router and using the ethernet cable, plugging it into the repeater - the repeater is upstairs and in the room above the speaker in question - at present the signal has to go through walls to get to the speaker from the Boost. Lastly would it be worthing buying an new Boost and putting it between the current Boost and the problem speaker? Can these Boosts be plugged in without a speaker attached?

icon

Best answer by buzz 12 December 2019, 22:06

ODFM weak signal level is an indication of interference coping strategy. Weak signal level=3 is not a major issue, but it is a “flag”. Noise Floor is also important. Below -100 is very good, -116 is the lowest that I’ve seen. -80 is not good, somewhere in the mid to low -70’s the unit will drop off the network

BOOST is more effective than BRIDGE.

Note that older models will display “ODFM Weak signal level” while the newer models will display “ODFM ANI Level”. These are similar metrics, but the newer models have more effective radios. I assume that the problem unit is an older unit. You may have better luck if you can physically swap the older unit with a newer model. Or, it may be possible to wire the older unit.

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Sonos often has issues with extenders so that would be my last option.

I’d avoid the Bridge, it uses the antique SonosNet v1.0 which isn’t what you want, also they have power issues that can be most frustrating to find.

Can you run Ethernet to the problem speaker or to a speaker closer to it than the Boost?

If you look at your Network Matrix does re-positioning the speaker or Boost help?

An additional Boost could help, there is no way to hook a speaker to one though, they only do SonosNet communications. Just add it to your current system and let the Sonos software integrate it into your system.

Badge +1

Thank you. I rang Sonos again today and they told me that the signal was good to this rogue speaker (maybe since I moved it a bit closer to the Boost or removed a cordless telephone that was between the Boost and the speaker in question).

He then told me that there was a software problem with streaming to Sonos speakers and the engineers were working on an update.  

Would you be able to tell me, in layman terms, how to get a look at my Network Matrix?

Badge +1

PS the new mesh network has sorted out the unstable platform provided by two wifi networks in the house; Sonos was often befuddled as I walked about the house, with my iPlayer or iPhone controllers but that doesn’t happen anymore. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Here, replace my IP with yours: http://172.16.1.111:1400/support/review  (not for a Boost/Bridge)

Johnsalmon,

The Network Matrix is at the bottom of the list. Click on this line. The view that opens is a summary of your network performance. Red cells indicate potential issues. I say “potential” issues because they only indicate that the unit is struggling, but it may be able to deal with the situation. Note that this is a static view. If you make a change in the system layout, wait a couple minutes, then refresh the view. I live in a bad WiFi area and can have lots of red cells, but no issues. Of course, your mileage will vary. I say “can have lots of red cells” because interference varies throughout the day. Once in a while the cells are all green. A short while later they are mostly red.

BOOST and BRIDGE performance can be degraded if they are too close to the router. If you can, separate them by a couple feet. Sometimes moving a unit a couple feet can result in dramatic changes (good or bad) in performance.

Badge +1

Thank you very much for all this. I managed to bring up the matrix and all the speakers are in green except the rogue speaker in the dining room which is orange - weak signal level 3. Interestingly, I have a Sonos One in the kitchen, the closest to the rogue speaker and this square is white and saying that it is undefined - where the signal level should be! 

If I get additional  Boost and plug it into the mains (no speaker) nearer to the rogue speaker than the Boost attached to the router, would that solve the problem?

I fully understand there are no guarantees.

I do appreciate this help.  

Badge +1

I then moved the rogue speak much closer to the Boost and adjacent to another speaker and guess what? The speaker is still showing orange and weak signal level 3 - this was after a few minutes and refreshing the matrix a couple of times.  

My assumption is that it must be the speaker at fault?

ODFM weak signal level is an indication of interference coping strategy. Weak signal level=3 is not a major issue, but it is a “flag”. Noise Floor is also important. Below -100 is very good, -116 is the lowest that I’ve seen. -80 is not good, somewhere in the mid to low -70’s the unit will drop off the network

BOOST is more effective than BRIDGE.

Note that older models will display “ODFM Weak signal level” while the newer models will display “ODFM ANI Level”. These are similar metrics, but the newer models have more effective radios. I assume that the problem unit is an older unit. You may have better luck if you can physically swap the older unit with a newer model. Or, it may be possible to wire the older unit.

Badge +1

My OFDM for the rogue speaker reads “weak signal level: 3 orange square

Noise Floor on the same speaker reads: -90, -96, -90

The speaker seems to be OK (time will tell but I’m optimistic as it’s certainly a lot better) after moving the speaker a bit nearer the Boost, removing a cordless phone from between the Boost and the speaker, and separating the Boost from the router.

Thank you for all your help. 

and this square is white and saying that it is undefined - where the signal level should be! 

I forgot to mention that the Network Matrix is now fading away. Formerly, it was much more useful and there were a ton more diagnostic fields that we could query. The absolute newest radios will not report much information. A completely blank or “undefined” square is using the newest radio or a unit that is using a 5GHz connection. Gray squares are wired.