SonosNet network issue

• 20 February 2021
  • 4 replies

I have been having issues with my Sub, it cuts out randomly and noticeable. I cannot change the network channel (Google WiFi Mesh) so I moved the sub to the other side of the room to see if I could reduce eliminate interference.

I have a Playbase up front, two Play 1s in the rear and a sub. The Playbase is connected via Ethernet and I checked that I am using Sonosnet in the app (WM0). I noticed that one of my rear Play 1 surrounds was also plugged in via Ethernet so I disconnected the cable and “poof” Sonos network down. All Sonos devices except the Playbase appear in the app. 

I also have a Beam upstairs, a Play 1 in the basement those disappeared from the network also. 

I had this problem a long time ago once and turning everything off and bring it up would eventually fix it but not this time.

So I tried restoring to default one of my Play 1s and connected to the app but every single time when it is finishing configuration I get the message “Your Play 1 has been added but may not appear in the System tab.” I rebooted the speaker as told by the app and I never get a finish setup prompt in the app.

So I tried the same with the other Play 1 and same thing… I rebooted the mesh network with everything turned off, rebooted the network with everything turned on before also, same result. 

So now out of my Arc, Sub, three Play 1s and Playbase I now only have the Playbase, everything else is gone. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Cvjack.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for bringing this to our attention. Allow me to share with you my recommendation to help out.

Based on the provided situation, I would recommend contacting our technical support team for more in-depth troubleshooting steps or possible product replacement. It is best to contact our technical support team so they can take a look into what is the root cause of the issue. If the Playbase is wired via ethernet cable to your router and still we have missing rooms on the Sonos App, it is best to contact our technical support team. There may be a hardware failure on your Sonos Playbase. You can test this by wiring a different Sonos Product like your Sonos Arc. 

Please let me know how it goes and keep me posted.

Thanks,

Figured out the problem….. I will have to call customer support. 

Sonosnet was running off the back surround speaker that I forgot to unplug the Ethernet from a couple of years ago… I thought Sonosnet was running off the Playbase. So when I unplugged the cable it took the four rooms in Sonos down. 

Today I reset everything and left the Ethernet plugged into the Playbase and it worked fine. 

I had to plug my other speakers in one at a time using Ethernet to finish setup. When I checked the “about system” Only the Playbase was showing WM0, the Sub and two Play 1s were showing WM1…. music played fine through the Playbase but nothing from the Sub or surrounds. I went through Trueplay and it couldn’t see the sub or surrounds. 

So I plugged the rear surround back into Ethernet, waited a bit and everything switched to WM0 and I was able to Truetone setup my living room. 

Now all the other speakers in my house work as well so the Playbase will not work unless plugged into Ethernet.

SonosNet shouldn’t ever work well (or at all, to my knowledge) while connected to a ‘bonded’ speaker. That’s a Sub, or any surround speaker. The nature of that connection is designed to be one way, not two way as a normal SonosNet connection is designed for. 

If it is inconvenient to wire a ‘normal’ speaker, you may consider either hanging your Sonos devices off your own WiFi signal, or installing a BOOST.

For more information, see the wired and wireless modes FAQ. 

SonosNet shouldn’t ever work well (or at all, to my knowledge) while connected to a ‘bonded’ speaker. That’s a Sub, or any surround speaker. The nature of that connection is designed to be one way, not two way as a normal SonosNet connection is designed for. 

If it is inconvenient to wire a ‘normal’ speaker, you may consider either hanging your Sonos devices off your own WiFi signal, or installing a BOOST.

For more information, see the wired and wireless modes FAQ. 

I just got off chat with customer support, she checked diagnostics and detected a failed WiFi card on the Playbase. I tried everything before contacting support because I didn’t want to go through “did you reboot the router” steps which I already did. I work in IT and I know sometimes you have to go through the steps.

Anyways she got my information and they are sending me a replacement Playbase.