Sonos / worst software developers ever

Userlevel 1
Badge
Having purchased a multi room set up. Following the instructions... the connectivity issues just never stop. 'Unable to connect' is a better name for sonos. Waste of money. Speakers drop out. Rooms drop out. Amd if you do get any sound - it drops out. Sonos will go out of business as soon as decent comp. comes along. Hire some engineers that know how to code, test...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

66 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hey All,

This thread got a bit off topic, so we've decided to lock it down. Many posts have been removed and others were edited to remove personal insults.

All Sonos staff on this community are identified with "Sonos Staff" next to their username.
Yawn. Sigh.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Sminja, no scoop. Well known to the 1000's of consumers that constantly get 'unable to connect' messages on sonos apps across the planet - everyday due to poor coding, poor hardware and weak stability. Good try tho. Making out like its isolated. It isn't. As you know.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
You're absolutely right about ARPU. I bought one Sonos product. It worked so well I bought more to add two-room capability. That worked so well I bought more to add my existing stereo system to the mix. That all worked so well I then installed a bunch of Sonos gear in a house I own in another country. And it all happily communicates with itself. I've even thrown in Apple routers and Chromecasts to put Airplay and casting into the mix. Guess what? That worked, too. And, thanks to Roon, I can now play all music files I own through Sonos, even those that Sonos can't natively handle. Roon and my external hard drives and NASs neatly communicate with Sonos through my network. It's like magic! But do I think Sonos is perfect? Not by any means. Search my posts in this community and you'll discover that I think there is much to criticize. However, I'll say it again: connectivity is not on that list.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Toolio. Sonos isn't perfect.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Jgatie. Here's the jist: 1, Sonos talk up multi product / multi room systems to raise ARPU. 2, software and the hardware supporting these set ups is flakey at best. 3, customers raise legitimate concerns. 4, Sonos and a few select community bods (you) trot out the same old lines to move attention away from the source of the issue.

Rather than simply acknowledging it and making it right. Sonos are prob. worried about recalls/returns. Or simply selling less.
Sonos, go fix your code. And stop selling consumers sub optimal stuff. Deflection again Toolio.
I've provided you with some helpful links.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Just googled sonos issues... bit more than a corner case here.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Sonos, go fix your code. And stop selling consumers sub optimal stuff. Deflection again Toolio.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
Toolio. Connectivity isn't an issue. Hahahahaha. Wow, you must be on the sonos payroll too. Seriously, you honestly beleive that. You have zero credibility when you state things that simply aren't true. Sonos software sucks. Rushing products out the door always bites you in the end.
Being on the Sonos payroll is the last thing I am, lol. I'm frequently a critic of a Sonos, but never on this issue. The people who were trying to help you here have helped me, and many others, in the past. You should listen to them. Your problems can probably be fixed with a little network tinkering.
If the software has bugs and it isn't stable - the code is poor. And the engineers are responsible for the code. Cuase and effect.

If your network has interference, it isn't stable. You're responsible for your network. Cause and effect. Now go fix your network issues, and stop being an ass.
Jgatie. If the software has bugs and it isn't stable - the code is poor. And the engineers are responsible for the code. Cuase and effect.

My Sonos software is as stable as a concrete doorstop and bug free, as it is for millions of others. It's you who is the outlier.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
We're all on the Sonos payroll!
Sonos pay us by giving us the virtual magic of multi-room synced music at the touch of a button. Controlled with ease and more songs than you can shake a stick at.
Your experience may not be as others but that doesn't make my experience any less.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Toolio. Connectivity isn't an issue. Hahahahaha. Wow, you must be on the sonos payroll too. Seriously, you honestly beleive that. You have zero credibility when you state things that simply aren't true. Sonos software sucks. Rushing products out the door always bites you in the end.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Jgatie. If the software has bugs and it isn't stable - the code is poor. And the engineers are responsible for the code. Cuase and effect.
Stuart, you should learn some manners. It's not clever, it isn't smart and it def. isn't an attractive trait to try and belittle people just becuase someone expressed an opinion seperate to yours. Ignorance isn't smart.

Says the guy whose thread title belittled and insulted a bunch of software engineers.

Can you say "hypocrite"? I thought you could. 😃
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
Chicks. More deflection. Now trying to question my character... hahaha. Your base play book approach speaks volumes. I'm a journalist investigating this issue on behalf of readers - this thread is very helpful. I agree with the good advice you've already received. I have Sonos gear working well in two locations. Any time I've had connectivity issues, they have been related to my networks. Sonos has its faults, but connectivity is not among them.
Some real journalism, from a New York Times company.

http://m.thewirecutter.com/reviews/sonos-player/
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
I've had Sonos since about 2006. It was rock solid then and it's still rock solid now. The only problem I had was when my router was playing up / giving out duplicate IP addresses. The product certainly wasn't rushed to market and isn't a coding issue. If you are using the wifi connection mode, I highly recommend switching to SonosNet mode (AKA boost mode) by wiring one of your Sonos components to your router. This is the original and best setup, especially if you have more than 2 Sonos devices (and/or lots of other wireless devices). If you don't need a speaker at your router I suggest getting a Sonos Boost or a Sonos Bridge off of e-bay (the cheaper solution) to wire into your router instead of a speaker. Only one Sonos device needs to be wired to switch to this superior setup mode. If you continue to have problems, please contact Sonos support. As a software developer for an insurance company in London, I can assure you that this is not a software issue. If you have an old router, I would recommend getting a new one. Your router is like the foundations of a house. Poor foundations = unreliable Sonos experience.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Sigh.

Exactly! I get the feeling he just wants to argue rather than resolve an issue.
Sigh.
Journalists find out the truth.

Truth is, Sonos has been the leading multiroom audio system for a dozen years thanks to top notch sound and build quality, and rock solid network stability that no one else can match. Your network interference is preventing you from experienceing that. Fix it.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Journalists find out the truth.
Journalists listen, something you're clearly not interested in doing.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Chicks. More deflection. Now trying to question my character... hahaha. Your base play book approach speaks volumes. I'm a journalist investigating this issue on behalf of readers - this thread is very helpful.