Sonos won't play or shuffle Spotify Liked Songs

• 31 July 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1

In Spotify I would open up my Like Songs and start playing one. When i try to connect to one or all of my Sonos SLs it will say trying to connect for several seconds before failing to connect and continue to play on my phone

Additionally, when I go to the Sonos app and go to my linked spotify account and click on Songs in Your Library, i see all my Liked Spotify songs, but when I click Shuffle, i see an opaque wheel followed by a “Unable to add songs to queue” message

This doesn't happen with any of the other playlists i have, which i rarely use or listen to 

I understand i have quite a lot of “Liked Songs” (over 10K) but i find it quite ridiculous that i can shuffle my songs using headphones but not on my sonos speakers

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @adrayton89, welcome to the Sonos Community!

Certainly sounds like the size of the playlist is causing some trouble here, is it generally an Error 1002 that gets thrown when you try to shuffle the playlist?

Our engineers are aware of this and we are working to improve this experience in future releases. In the mean time, giving the network and system a reboot, and reducing wireless interference may also be helpful.

Let us know how you get on :)

Userlevel 1

Hi @adrayton89, welcome to the Sonos Community!

Certainly sounds like the size of the playlist is causing some trouble here, is it generally an Error 1002 that gets thrown when you try to shuffle the playlist?

Our engineers are aware of this and we are working to improve this experience in future releases. In the mean time, giving the network and system a reboot, and reducing wireless interference may also be helpful.

Let us know how you get on :)

Thanks @Xander P. There is no error when i try to shuffle. Just a working wheel followed by a “Unable to add songs to queue” message that briefly displays.

Still not able to play Liked Songs even after restarting my network...

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Understood @adrayton89, thanks for trying that.

Mind sharing some details about the network? What make/model of router are you using? Do you have any wireless extenders or mesh systems in place?

If all of the speakers are currently on a wireless connection, would it be possible to try connecting a speaker directly to the router via Ethernet cable, and then playing to only that speaker? Do you still have trouble playing your Liked Songs in this setup?

Thanks@Xander P. There is no error when i try to shuffle. Just a working wheel followed by a “Unable to add songs to queue” message that briefly displays.

Still not able to play Liked Songs even after restarting my network…

Same problem over here. I just tried to shuffle my entire “Songs” list from Spotify through the Sonos App and it gave me a spinning wheel, and then “Unable to Add Songs to the Queue” message. I have read some other messages and found that there may be a limit to the amount of songs one can add/shuffle to a queue, but I just tried a playlist with 500+ songs and it shuffled them all fine.

Perhaps, there might be some issue if there are songs in the playlist/liked songs that are actually “unplayable” by Spotify i.e. ones artists have removed? Or is it still just the amount of songs. Either way, damn shame you can’t just shuffle a library of music. For context I am on a 5ghz Wifi connection for both my Roam and Play:5 and they are a feet from the router.

Also, if I try to shuffle my “Liked Songs” on through the Spotify app, and then try to connect to Sonos through the Spotify Connect feature, it can’t even connect. I know you didn’t have any hand in developing Spotify’s app, but thought I would throw that out there in case it helps.

Userlevel 1

Understood @adrayton89, thanks for trying that.

Mind sharing some details about the network? What make/model of router are you using? Do you have any wireless extenders or mesh systems in place?

If all of the speakers are currently on a wireless connection, would it be possible to try connecting a speaker directly to the router via Ethernet cable, and then playing to only that speaker? Do you still have trouble playing your Liked Songs in this setup?

I have not tried plugging in my speaker to my router, nor do i see why that would be the cause of the issue, but u will give it a try and come back. @Dr.colossuss glad to see im not the only person frustrated with this! Same thing happens to me when i go to the Spotify app. I find it quite ridiculous 

Because Sonos can only be as good as the network it connects to? If there are issues with the router communicating with the Sonos, or the Sonos speakers communicating amongst themselves, then those type of issues you are experiencing are possible. The troubleshooting steps outlined by @Xander P would help identified exactly why this is occurring, since you didn’t bother to submit a system diagnostic so that he had hard data to look at. 

I have over 25,000 liked songs, and I like to play them in alphabetical order by title. When the liked songs wouldn’t connect to Sonos, I would delete the Spotify app, then re-install it, and it would work for a few days. Then, I would have to delete and re-install Spotify again. This worked for a couple of years. About 6 months to a year ago, it stopped working, and now if I wan’t to listen to my liked songs like a playlist, I have to play them on Spotify, on my phone, and play them on a Bluetooth speaker. Huge playlists work fine on shuffle or not, all through the house, but no more liked songs in every room at once. Very disappointing. Whoever is responsible for this should be locked in the Yelp app.

I also noticed this issue about a year ago, but I think it was around the time that Spotify removed the 10k LIKE limit. They also changed the library to behave like a playlist? Anyway, I have the same issue. I have over 10k songs and if I try playing my Liked Songs (playlist?) it won’t play through Spotify Connect. Not sure if the issue lies with Spotify or 3rd parties like Sonos, but I also have issues playing my Liked Songs on my Xbox Series X. 

Note about 2 months ago, it did work for about 2 or 3 days. 

In Spotify I would open up my Like Songs and start playing one. When i try to connect to one or all of my Sonos SLs it will say trying to connect for several seconds before failing to connect and continue to play on my phone

Additionally, when I go to the Sonos app and go to my linked spotify account and click on Songs in Your Library, i see all my Liked Spotify songs, but when I click Shuffle, i see an opaque wheel followed by a “Unable to add songs to queue” message

This doesn't happen with any of the other playlists i have, which i rarely use or listen to 

I understand i have quite a lot of “Liked Songs” (over 10K) but i find it quite ridiculous that i can shuffle my songs using headphones but not on my sonos speakers

Thank you for writing this. I have the EXACT same problem and have had it for 2 years now. It blows my mind that this is even an issue for the price we pay.