Sonos will not add my shared Music folder on my Win7 PC

Userlevel 2
I have been using my Sonos system for some time now. All of a sudden, it stopped being able to access my Music Library on my Win7-64-bit PC. So I open the Sonos app on the PC, click on Music and screen reads "You haven't added any music folders to your Sonos system yet." So, I click on menu Manage>Music Library Settings. On the dialog screen, I click on the Add button and get another dialog box. I then click on the button for "In another location on my computer ... ." and click Next. Then yet another dialog box appears and I click the Browse button to select "C:\$Music" which is my library I have built for both Sonos and as a backup for my Android cell phone. (And it's the same one I used successfully with Sonos before.) Then I get yet another box and swirling for 10-20 seconds, then the less-than-helpful error message "Sonos was unable to add the music folder. Reason: Unable to add the the shared folder '\\pcname\$Music' to your Music Library (900)." What do I do now??

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

The question was already asked ya genius.... like 5 times in this thread.

Why are you talking about laptops... just stop... you're embarrassing yourself.
today it was working fine and literally stopped working in the middle of playing my queue.

I recommend contacting your IT support. There is an issue on your local network, likely a duplicate IP address.
All I find are threads where all of a sudden, the music folder is lost, be it in normal working, or be it in upgrade. Whatever happens, the Sonos software is the common link over all Windows and Mac systems.
We can tweak firewalls, lose '$' signs, and generally fiddle with the settings but after 3 years of similar messages, one has to wonder about the Sonos software. What have you done to deserve all this blog interaction. I suggest either a re-do, or at least a fix?
It seems adding to music library has been known issue. Works for sometime when first installed and all of sudden no more access. Why Sonos does not make it more simple. I am wasting my time. I cannot add folder to music library.....