Answered

Sonos Wifi Speaker Connectivity Dropping

I have 20+ Sonos Speaker Products across 3 locations. I have been a loyal customer of Sonos.  2 of the locations work without issue and I have been very pleased with the Sonos Performance.  I recently moved a few working speakers from one of the locations to a new 3rd location.  I have (2) Sonos 1, (1) Sonos 3 and a Sonos Connect hard wired system supporting multiple rooms in the home.  This home has laptops, TV’s, Thermostats, Apple TV’s, Apple Home Pod Speakers, Peloton, Ring Security Cameras, Wifi Garage Door Openers, plus more and all work without incident across all parts of the home, end to end.  Wifi Testing shows high bandwidth connectivity in each room of the home.  Why do my Wifi Sonos speakers connect up and then drop from the S2 application?  The hard wired configuration works fine with no issues.  All of the speakers software is up to date.  What is unique about Sonos connectivity that is different from all other products?   I have been online with your teams and they’ve been unable to help me only saying that the devices can’t connect because of interference?.  We talk through connecting,  they actually do connect, work fine, and then randomly drop.   This is my last attempt to understand what is different about Sonos from every other product?  I have spent hours and hours trying everything from rebooting routers, moving speakers closer to the routers, taking them back to another location and testing them. Is there a solution or should I just move on.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 2 June 2022, 16:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

This might help: 

Sure sounds like your having some sort of issue with wifi interference , or possibly duplicate IP addresses. Unfortunately, there’s not enough detail in your post to be certain, so at the very least, I’d start with a network refresh in the location you’re having issues with, by unplugging/powering off all Sonos devices. Once they’re off, reboot your router. Only when the router has come back up should you power on the Sonos devices. 

Conversely, if you’re savvy enough, you could assign reserved IP addresses for them in your router’s DHCP table, a more permanent potential solution.

Remembering that a significant amount of WiFi interference comes from without your network, I’d be reading that linked FAQ fairly carefully. I’ve had situations at different times where I was impacted by a microwave going bad, and a new neighbor stomping on my network with their new router. 

I, too, have 20+ Sonos speakers, but they’re all in a single location, although I assist in managing two other installation of around 12 and 4 speakers, respectively. For me, having set up reserved IP addresses was instrumental in resolving 95% of the issues being experienced with the networks being generated by the routers. Of course, I don’t have the ability to influence outside sources. I’m still working on affecting sunspots and the electrical interference they generate for WiFi….