Sonos Wifi Setup on Orbi - Cannot Stream Music

• 23 June 2018
  • 6 replies

Hey folks -

I added a Netgear Orbi mesh network to my house a few weeks ago and the setup went well with no issues using my Sonos systems for about 2 weeks. My system is setup using WiFi and not the Sonosnet as I don't have any speakers next to my router or satellite. I can see all of my speakers on my Sonos app but am getting an error connecting or 'unable to add songs to the queue 701.' I can play music that's stored locally on my phone just fine. I submitted diagnostics info and the number is 668066665. I've been reading the forum a lot and the issues with Orbi and Sonos seem to be more related around Sonosnet setups and channels versus a total WiFi connection. Any help is appreciated!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hey folks -

I added a Netgear Orbi mesh network to my house a few weeks ago and the setup went well with no issues using my Sonos systems for about 2 weeks. My system is setup using WiFi and not the Sonosnet as I don't have any speakers next to my router or satellite. I can see all of my speakers on my Sonos app but am getting an error connecting or 'unable to add songs to the queue 701.' I can play music that's stored locally on my phone just fine. I submitted diagnostics info and the number is 668066665. I've been reading the forum a lot and the issues with Orbi and Sonos seem to be more related around Sonosnet setups and channels versus a total WiFi connection. Any help is appreciated!!

Hi SHarr5184,

Welcome to the community. It looks like your Sonos units are losing connection to your Orbi system from time to time. This could be due to a couple factors. I see that there is some wireless interference from nearby networks running on the same channel as your Orbi network. This can make it hard for your speakers to stay connected and can lead to issues like you've described. Please start by changing your Orbi system's wireless channel to 1. Also, if the system is set to automatically switch wireless channels, it could lead to connectivity issues for the Sonos units when the system changes channels. It's best to set the Orbi up so that it is on a static channel rather than automatically switching.

Try those steps out and let me know how it goes.
Did the above fix work for you?
I am contemplating getting an Orbi and i am reluctant because of all the so called issues between Sonos and Orbi so i wanted to see how you fared.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Did the above fix work for you?
I am contemplating getting an Orbi and i am reluctant because of all the so called issues between Sonos and Orbi so i wanted to see how you fared.

In general, the Sonos system has trouble connecting to mesh systems that have their access points running on different wireless channels. If you can get all the Orbi access points to run the same wireless channel, it should work fine.

You can bypass this issue by setting up Sonos in the Boost configuration. To do so, just wire in one Sonos unit (Boost or speaker) to the Orbi hub using an ethernet cable. By wiring one unit, the Sonos system sets up its own mesh network, which is just for Sonos speakers. This makes it so you don't need to worry about the Orbi access points.
Thanks Jeff, I will check it out.
I connected my Soundbase to a Orbi hub via ethernet but no Sonos network was detected. Help!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I connected my Soundbase to a Orbi hub via ethernet but no Sonos network was detected. Help!

Please make sure your controllers are connected to the wireless created by your Orbi hub. Then, go through the steps found in this guide to get connected to your speaker. If you're still unable to connect, there's likely a network configuration issue that should be addressed. In this case it would be best to work with our phone team. Please give us a call, you can find our phone number here.