sonos was unable to add the music folder reason access to the shared folder "xxx" is denied

• 16 February 2014
  • 41 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

Badge
There are a few different possible causes of the access denied message.  Make sure that the computer is powered on, connected to your home network, and that any security software (such as a firewall) is configured to allow Sonos through.  The most common reason for file sharing errors is an overzealous firewall.  

Access denied can also be returned due to a misconfiguration in the shared folder.  Try removing the share (from the Music Library Settings menu and then re-adding it.

Why would I get "Access to \\server\music is denied" when trying to add d:\Music to my library?

The "\\server\music" share does not exist anymore - that's the whole reason I'm trying to add a local directory to my library.

I should add that I got into this mess by doing something slightly odd... "Server" is the name of the machine that's running Sonos, I was going to access the music library via the \\server\music path despite the files being on d:\music.... then decided that was just silly, and went straight for d:\music instead.

But now, even after deleting the share, Sonos insists or trying to access \\server\music even when I'm telling it to access d:\music which just makes no sense at all. I mean, why even ask your customers to specify a directory, if all you're going to do try to access a location that they specified months ago instead of the one they typed in just seconds ago?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
There are a few different possible causes of the access denied message.  Make sure that the computer is powered on, connected to your home network, and that any security software (such as a firewall) is configured to allow Sonos through.  The most common reason for file sharing errors is an overzealous firewall.  

Access denied can also be returned due to a misconfiguration in the shared folder.  Try removing the share (from the Music Library Settings menu and then re-adding it.

Why would I get "Access to \\server\music is denied" when trying to add d:\Music to my library?

The "\\server\music" share does not exist anymore - that's the whole reason I'm trying to add a local directory to my library.

I should add that I got into this mess by doing something slightly odd... "Server" is the name of the machine that's running Sonos, I was going to access the music library via the \\server\music path despite the files being on d:\music.... then decided that was just silly, and went straight for d:\music instead.

But now, even after deleting the share, Sonos insists or trying to access \\server\music even when I'm telling it to access d:\music which just makes no sense at all. I mean, why even ask your customers to specify a directory, if all you're going to do try to access a location that they specified months ago instead of the one they typed in just seconds ago?

Hey NateW, I saw you were already answered in a different thread, but just so it's here too, Sonos players always connect to the system through the network. The controller itself is attempting to set up a network share starting with the location you've pointed it to. So the software is trying to create an SMB share on the network for d:\music as \\(COMPUTERNAME)\Music.

I'd recommend troubleshooting through that other thread or with our support team live if you still have any questions or trouble.
have tried the fixes here and still have same problem
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
If you have tried all of the above, please submit me a diagnostic and respond with the confirmation number. This way I can provide further advice. Thanks very much.
After sending diag report to Sonos (and receiving help from Support) it was determined that my computer's node type was set to Peer to Peer. I made changes to the registry following tech's instructions:

1- Press 'Windows' button > Run... > In the box type regedit.
2- Navigate the tree to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/NetBT/Parameters
3- Right mouse click and select New > DWORD Value
4- Name it 'NodeType' (without the quotes)
5- Right mouse click on it and select Modify
6- Set Value Data to '8' (no quotes)
7- Leave Base alone. 'Hexadecimal' should be selected
8- Press 'ok'
9- Close regedit and reboot.

and the Controller was able to find my computer. I did have an access denied issue which I resolved by finding the network share path (navigate to \\"computer name"\My Music, right click and select properties, then click on the "sharing" tab) and selecting the "On a networked device such as..." and using the share path.

Good luck-

I did have an access denied issue which I resolved by finding the network share path (navigate to \\"computer name"\My Music, right click and select properties, then click on the "sharing" tab) and selecting the "On a networked device such as..." and using the share path.

This solution solved my access denied error, thanks Bryan
I had the above issue on Mac until I shut down FortiClient, which wasn't even configured as a firewall.
After sending diag report to Sonos (and receiving help from Support) it was determined that my computer's node type was set to Peer to Peer. I made changes to the registry following tech's instructions:

1- Press 'Windows' button > Run... > In the box type regedit.
2- Navigate the tree to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/NetBT/Parameters
3- Right mouse click and select New > DWORD Value
4- Name it 'NodeType' (without the quotes)
5- Right mouse click on it and select Modify
6- Set Value Data to '8' (no quotes)
7- Leave Base alone. 'Hexadecimal' should be selected
8- Press 'ok'
9- Close regedit and reboot.

and the Controller was able to find my computer. I did have an access denied issue which I resolved by finding the network share path (navigate to \\"computer name"\My Music, right click and select properties, then click on the "sharing" tab) and selecting the "On a networked device such as..." and using the share path.

Good luck-

This really solved my problem as I couldn't add my music folder. Thanks
I am having the same issue, and cannot connect my One Drive Folder, saved on local machine. See diagnostics ID: 7915441
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
smarter1: Thanks for reaching out and for the diagnostic report. Welcome to the Community. I was able to take a closer look and it seems that your Sonos system can read about 2015 tracks from your local library. Does this match up with what you have in your OneDrive folder? Do you get any specific error when trying to access the OneDrive folder? Is the folder set to be shared?
I had same problem. I believe that through updates to Sonos and Mac os, the path to the music file was lost or corrupted. I solved the problem by going to Sonos preferences > Music Library, clicking on minus sign and deleting Music File. Then click on plus sign and let Sonos find your music file and establish the correct path.
I was getting this error and tried uninstalling & reinstalling controller, checking date/time, removing and readding controller, etc. Nothing worked. Finally I moved my music library to the PUBLIC folder (I'm on a Mac) and that was an instant fix.
I am having the same issue as above using a Mac. The error message reads "Access to the shared folder " " is denied - check the name and/or password.

I have:
1. Reset file sharing and included the library in shared settings
2. Verified date and time are both set by internet
3. Turned off all firewalls

Please help, Sonos connected immediately and then denied access days later....
In your case, I'd recommend the same thing I did in the thread you created. .
Ah, screw this stupid thing, I give up. What utter moron thought it would be a good idea not to have bluetooth or a line-in? Can someone please take them outside and smack them relentlessly with wet towels until they realize the idiocy of their ways?
same here. Windows 10, could access my music via the Sonos app from day 1, almost two years now, until my music just disappeared from the app and now i get access denied trying to add it back. i believe i have now tried every single suggestion on this board to no avail. very frustrating - lots of time wasted. submitted diagnostics - Your confirmation number is: 2097826181. help, please!
Had my system up and running for a few weeks. Today it couldn't access my music folder giving the error: Sonos was unable to add the music folder. Reason access to the shared folder //xxxx is denied. Please help.

Same here. I've tried everything afore mentioned to troubleshoot this issue, but still no access.

Sonos staff, here's my diagnostic confirmation info 1222108419. Any help would be greatly appreciated.