Answered

"Sonos was unable to add the music folder"

• 14 February 2015
  • 69 replies

Userlevel 1
Cannot add a music folder so cannot play any music....nice product. Error message says: "Reason: The computer "XXXXXXXX" cannot be found. I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 3. When I orginally installed Sonos after purchasing my Surface, Sonos worked great. Then a few days later when I tried to play music I got an error saying "XXXXXX folder cannot be found". So I went into my Settings/Music Library, deleted the path, and added again. Then got the error message "Sonos was unable to add the music folder XXXXXX folder cannot be found". My diagnostics #: 4360058.
icon

Best answer by Kamlesh_1 20 August 2017, 05:36

I had this same issue too. The Windows firewall has been configured properly from the beginning, and my antivirus doesn't have a built-in firewall. My Windows 10 system is also configured correctly, because all of my other devices can connect to the network shares. The only thing unable to connect to them is the Sonos Controller.

I also performed a Network reset, but that didn't work either.

Then I figured it was an issue with SMB share, so I checked Windows Features to see if the SMB file sharing support was installed. I noticed the SMB client feature was only installed, but not the SMB server feature. I checked off both options, did a restart, and then the Sonos Controller was able to connect to my network share.

If you're still having an issue connecting to your Windows 10 network share, then give that a try.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

69 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hey Darren, could you try to restart all Sonos equipment by unplugging them from the power about 10 seconds (including BRIDGE)? Also restart the computer where the music is stored and if you are able to, do the same with the router as well.
It may take up to five minutes for the network to come back, double-check that your computer is connected to it.
If still unable to add the music refer to this guided assistant. Should it still give you trouble kindly submit a diagnostic and reply here with your confirmation number.
Userlevel 1
By God! What is wrong with this company? Problems over, and over, and over, just trying to play the music on my computer. Constantly saying "Cannot connect to \\COMPTERNAME" even when it's a DIFFERENT computer I'm adding the music too, no matter where I put the music folder.

Frankly - this software is junk.
It isn't, mine's been working flawlessly for nearly ten years, it's probably either a firewall issue with the computer or you're not sharing the music location correctly. Impossible for us to tell given the information you've provided though.
The cause of my problem was the windows firewall. To test I turned off the firewall and the problem was solved.
I have this problem but I get 'Sonos was unable to add the music folder : Reason not responding ' , this was when after i turned windows firewall off . I have ensured the 'Music' folder is shared with everyone . cant understand what I am doing wrong ?
I contacted support , and was told to turn the laptop off and on again - as the 'staff' suggests above .
I can stream music from Spotify,Napster,etc - and stream from my laptop using 'stream what you hear' , so I know connectivity is not the issue . I have renamed my laptop , reinstalled the Sonos app , reset the speaker - still the same error message .
Will have to send this back if no method is given .
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
I have this problem but I get 'Sonos was unable to add the music folder : Reason not responding ' , this was when after i turned windows firewall off . I have ensured the 'Music' folder is shared with everyone . cant understand what I am doing wrong ?
I contacted support , and was told to turn the laptop off and on again - as the 'staff' suggests above .
I can stream music from Spotify,Napster,etc - and stream from my laptop using 'stream what you hear' , so I know connectivity is not the issue . I have renamed my laptop , reinstalled the Sonos app , reset the speaker - still the same error message .
Will have to send this back if no method is given .

Hi Randolph, sounds like this issue is very likely due to your local network. For a test, mind wiring your laptop to the network via an Ethernet cable. Re-index or re-add your music library and let us know how it goes. Also, add a diagnostic number. Here's an article link: How to Submit Diagnostic
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
The cause of my problem was the windows firewall. To test I turned off the firewall and the problem was solved.
Hi JoelR, here's an article this may help you configure your windows firewall for Sonos. Link: Windows Firewall
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
By God! What is wrong with this company? Problems over, and over, and over, just trying to play the music on my computer. Constantly saying "Cannot connect to \\COMPTERNAME" even when it's a DIFFERENT computer I'm adding the music too, no matter where I put the music folder.

Frankly - this software is junk.

Hi Daniel347x, most likely the issue here is your local network or sharing options. Do you have a firewall on the computer in question? If yes, please follow the steps in the article: Configure Firewall
Hi - my laptop does not have an ethernet connection - only wireless . I have a couple of USB ports , so I could purchase a usb-ethernet adaptor to connect directly .
Is there no other way I can achieve this ? I cant understand how the speaker works with everything else - I can control it from the laptop (tablet , phone , etc) - in fact I can play all the songs from my iphone through it , but the laptop music folder will not !
I had problems with Sonos not finding my computer.
I had problems with "\\MyComputer not responding" errors. Traced problem to a difference between the computer name in Preferences\Sharing with the NetBIOSname in Preferences\Network\WINS as explained in Mac OS X Music Sharing Help.

Solution:
1.) In Preferences/Sharing, change computer name to something less than 15 characters
2.) Reboot which will change the NetBIOSname to match the Sharing name.
3.) In Sonos, go to menu Manage/Music Library Settings.../
4.) Select Music, then click on the - (minus) sign at the bottom of the dialog box
5.) Click on the + sign and add your Music folder.

Wait while Sonos indexes your iTunes Music Library and then it works like a charm.
I too had problems connecting music library after it was working flawlessly since the day i came over to the light side. Running MBP mid 2010 with El Capitan OSX 10.11.2. I fished around for a while and ended up here.

It now works fine again and all I did was toggle file sharing off and on again (which was something i picked up off the forum)

I am as knowledgeable as a banana as far as software etc etc just tried it and it worked so if it works for someone else - bonus
I have Windows 10 and I can not add a Music Folder to Sonos' Library. I receive each time I try a message with Error 1002 or 1001

My Windows Firewall allows Sonos. I switched off my Norton Firewall. I restarted my PC and Sonos. I have even attached the Ethernet cable. Still same error.
I just purchased a new Playbar and I have the same exact problem

I have Windows 10 and I can not add a Music Folder to Sonos' Library. I receive each time I try a message with Error 1002 or 1001

My Windows Firewall allows Sonos. I switched off my Norton Firewall. and still am unable to add a Music Folder to Sonos Library
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I just purchased a new Playbar and I have the same exact problem

My Windows Firewall allows Sonos. I switched off my Norton Firewall. and still am unable to add a Music Folder to Sonos Library

Hi Rkohler56,

I'd like to look at a diagnostic report from your system to see why you get these errors. Please send on in and reply with the confirmation number. Here's how to submit a diagnostic report.
I had problems with "\\MyComputer not responding" errors. raced problem to a difference between the computer name in Preferences\Sharing with the NetBIOSname in Preferences\Network\WINS as explained in Mac OS X Music Sharing Help.

Solution:
1.) In Preferences/Sharing, change computer name to something less than 15 characters
4.) Select Music, then click on the - (minus) sign at the bottom of the dialog box

Wait while Sonos indexes your iTunes Music Library and then it works like a charm.
Kevan Doyle - You are a STAR! Wished I'd seen your post before going thru three hours of hair pulling with this issue. Worked like a charm! Can't thank you enough.
I had problems with "\\MyComputer not responding" errors. raced problem to a difference between the computer name in Preferences\Sharing with the NetBIOSname in Preferences\Network\WINS as explained in Mac OS X Music Sharing Help.

Solution:

This world for me! So easy 🙂
Badge
For adding a folder to music library, make sure file sharing in on(You can do this from Preferences option)
Not Impressed SONOS - Really Disappointed with this software. SONOS can no longer find my Apple Music File with the message Sonos was unable to add the music folder : Reason not responding. As such I have tried all the fixes mentioned. There is no way I am rebooting my mac for this. Changed the Firewall but still no joy. Only one thing for it. Selling my SONOS as it's no use to me. Best Offers accepted. I am off to buy a Wireless Soundlink III from Bose.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Mmmm. Switch PC off. Switch in on again.
How did they ever build a pyramid.
Funny
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey GB16, sorry to hear you're having trouble. We'd be happy to help if you'd like a hand. Mind starting with submitting a diagnostic from your Sonos system and replying back with your confirmation number? That diagnostic will include a lot of great details for us to help you with.

If you're working with those steps suggested above, it's important to reboot the computer as part of the steps to change the computer name. The computer name won't take affect on the network until after a reboot. Sometimes it even takes a restart of your router in order for the cached entries to clear out on the router. But we can hold off on that second step for now.

Let us know how it goes.
Hi Ryan, I just retried all the steps again and SONOS is working fine now. Really Appreciate the help.
Many Thanks and Appreciated
G
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Ryan, I just retried all the steps again and SONOS is working fine now. Really Appreciate the help.
Many Thanks and Appreciated
G

Great to hear! Let us know if anything else comes up, we're happy to help.
good if you to help Ryan, but SONOS really does have a much bigger issue. I am finally at wits end of setting up my system everytime I go to use it and know it will not connect with my library....so no music. Yes I have tried everything in this thread and others. I have actually even bought a new Mac just to ry and get this trash software to work. Yep a new Mac....why? The software kept crashing my old Mac (only software that did) no matter what I tried. Thi is not how modern software works. We do not want to spend hours trying multiple methods simply to listen to music. You should include a warning in your advertising. I can absolutely say....this is the worst system/software combo of anything I use. I too give up and are simply throwing my SONOS in the bin. Speakers great....if you have hours to set up endlessly.