Answered

Sonos Volume Increases Regardless of Remote Button Used

• 3 November 2018
  • 4 replies

I just installed the newest SONOS updates onto my device (iPhone) and now the volume increases - Sony TV, PlayBase, Surround 1 and 2 - regardless of which button on the TV remote is pushed - channel (+/-), volume (+/-), mute, Information (button), etc. After a few TV remote button pushes, I use my iPhone (device) to turn down the volume. I've gone through the remote (re-)installation several time but get the same results. My wife doesn't want to download the app onto her device, which is why having the ability to control the volume via the cable TV (Comcast) remote is important.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 3 November 2018, 16:53

Ok, so you’ve proven one thing isn’t the issue. That’s progress, even if it doesn’t seem like it. And yes, since Sonos equipment is designed to be on all the time, there are no power buttons on them ,it does require removing the plug to perform a power cycle.

Here’s how to submit a system diagnostic

Since the forum folks generally work M-F, you may want to try the twitter or Facebook support options, which are available 24/7

url=https://www.sonos.com/contact/contact-options%23]contact Sonos[/url]
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I'd recommend running a diagnostic, and then contacting Sonos via Twitter or Facebook. The other thing I'd try is a power cycle of the PLAYBASE. It may need to have the software "rebooted", since it seems to be accepting all IR inputs as a volume increase. There likely would be information in that diagnostic that would help Sonos confirm that.
Thanks for the feedback, Airgetlam. It would seem, then, that to power cycle (turn off, then back on (reboot)) would mean to unplug the unit (the PlayBase). Yes? This is the first time I've attempted to turn off the unit and I cannot seem to find a power button. Strange.
So, yes, I unplugged the PlayBase, plugged it back in and programmed the cable TV (Comcast/xfinity) remote again only to get the same result - volume increases regardless of which remote button is pushed. Grrr! I guess I need to do a lookup as to how to perform a diagnostic (test).
Ok, so you’ve proven one thing isn’t the issue. That’s progress, even if it doesn’t seem like it. And yes, since Sonos equipment is designed to be on all the time, there are no power buttons on them ,it does require removing the plug to perform a power cycle.

Here’s how to submit a system diagnostic

Since the forum folks generally work M-F, you may want to try the twitter or Facebook support options, which are available 24/7

url=https://www.sonos.com/contact/contact-options%23]contact Sonos[/url]