Answered

Sonos volume goes up to max, Spotify iOS

• 25 June 2022
  • 4 replies

Very often, my Sonos will turn its volume up to 100 by itself. Even if I turn it down, it ramps up to 100 over and over. I am using the Spotify integration on iOS. However, I’m changing the volume using the Sonos app directly.

My phone volume is NOT at 100.

Also, after it turns itself up to 100, if I pause it, it usually insists on starting to play again. I have to pause it two or three times total.

I saw a thread that this was fixed on Android years ago, but it keeps happening on iOS.

It’s not just an inconvenience—I’m listening to music with my one-year-old baby and it terrifies him to the point that he screams and cries. One time he was so close to the speaker when it happened, I was worried it would cause him hearing damage.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 28 June 2022, 16:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Oh, and I submitted a diagnostic a few minutes after the last time it happened. Number is 1769711031. 

Userlevel 7

Until you find the cause/resolution to this, set a Volume Limit.

The diagnostic will show what is making the volume increase.

The quickest way to have Sonos review the diagnostic is to contact Sonos Support directly yourself either by chat or phonecall, quoting your diagnostic number.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @mkanat 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Unfortunately, the older log entries that would confirm the device sending the volume commands are erased as new ones are made, so I can only see the volume being turned up again after being turned down to 0. If this happens again, please pause the music instead of turning it down, submit a support diagnostic, then turn down the volume before resuming playback. This will give us a clean record of what happened.

Having said that, it certainly looks like the commands came from a Spotify Connect session. This may not be from your phone, however - any device signed into the same Spotify account may be able to send your Sonos system volume commands, even if said device is not connected to your WiFi. If you are sure that none of the devices that should be signed in to your Spotify account are responsible, it may be a good idea to change your Spotify account password, then re-authorise Spotify on your phone and on your Sonos system.

The fact that the speakers keep trying to play after you tell them to stop suggests that another device is indeed trying to keep them playing. It could be someone, somewhere else, just trying to play Spotify on their phone, not realising the effect it is having on your system.

I hope this helps.

An easy way to ‘disconnect’ a Spotify Connect session on your Sonos speakers is to play any non-Spotify source. This ‘breaks’ any existing Spotify connection, and then you can then go back to playing Spotify on your own system. Anyone else will need to be back on your local WiFi to restart their Spotify Connect to your speakers.