Answered

Sonos upgrade now music dropping when iPhone sleeps

Userlevel 1
Hi, I have an iPhone 7 running the latest iOS 11.4.1, and just updated the sonos app. Now whenever my phone goes to sleep, the music from my iPhone library stops playing. Tried sonos e support, no resolution. Tried phone support, same result. I have a sonos play1 and 5 with a bridge. Have never had this problem. Re boooted everything and re installed the app, same problem. The only other devices I have at home are a tv and a ps4, so interference should be minimal.
To those in the community who berate people asking questions that “have been answered over and over”, I’m looking for help, not attitude.
icon

Best answer by miked13 11 June 2019, 22:20

Mike i tend to agree with you. If Sonos has no solution to this problem there needs to be other remedies offered to the impacted customers. They can’t just say “sorry the functionality you paid for does work anymore”. I am sure anyone could dig up the old marketing which stated that Sonos could be used to stream direct from iOS.

Unfortunately Sonos is going to remove the 'On this iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch' feature in a future version:
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2922?language=en_US

Announcement: https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/upcoming-changes-to-on-this-iphone-or-ipad-playback-6826585
View original

125 replies

Hi there, can we please get an update on this? This has rendered our entire Sonos system unusable by my wife, who only uses her phone to connect to Sonos. We would like a refund if this is not going to be resolved ASAP.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Number of class action threats on this forum? I have lost count. Number that have actually happened? Zero.

Yup. Not worth the effort.

I too was impacted by this problem, when playing podcasts, but solved it recently by spending $199 on a new Sonos One Gen 2, which as a fun byproduct also gave me Alexa support, which my spouse loves.

Life is too short etc, especially when $199 will fix this "first world" problem.

YMMV.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Add me to the long list of users having the same problem.

Songs from my iPhone playlist skipping about ~2:00 mins in. Note: skipping does not happen when streaming music from Pandora.

I tested this with an iPhone 8 and SE and the result is...yes playlist songs will only skip when the auto-lock activates.

My setup: Playbar, two Play1s, Sonos sub

Used the same playlist throughout the test, router and sonos system are in the same room and one Play1 is connected to the router via ethernet.

My findings:
1. Playlist songs skipped when auto-lock was set at 1, 2 & 3 min and skipping happened at the set auto-lock time. After the first song skipped, other songs randomly skipped at different times during playback.

2. Checked the phones when the skip occurred and I got this message “cannot play “song name” because connection to your sonos system was lost” - notice that it does not say internet or wifi

3. Turned auto-lock off and kept the sonos app on iPhone screen and playlist did not skip a song (left my playlist on for 1 hour straight)

Seems to be an issue with the auto-lock and the sonos app. Can somebody from sonos recreate this test and fix the issue?
Ok, I'll eat crow, and I hope this fix works for the rest of you: from the WiFi settings of your iWhatever, "Forget" the network, then re-join it. On one device I had to forget the network then bounce the iPad and then it worked.

I've done this on an iPhone and two iPads – all of which were giving me the same issue yesterday. I kicked off 3 separate albums from 3 separate devices on 3 separate Play:1 speakers, locked them, and walked away. Previous to this fix, the music would’ve stopped about a minute after the device was locked. At this point, they've all been playing uninterrupted for about 20 minutes and I’m feeling pretty optimistic that I’ll be able to listen to an entire evening of music with my phone in my pocket.

It looks like Sonos V.9 and iOS 11.4.1 were released at about the same time, and I definitely took both updates at the same time, so I may have conflated the two. I hadn’t had any issue with streaming or downloading on locked iOS devices and the only symptom of the bug (at least for me) was evidenced in Sonos playback. That said, Sonos is also the only non-native app I was using.

A couple other notes: Battery conservation mode was never part of the issue -- I don't use it, and confirmed I have that switched off. Also, I don't think that the devices were disconnecting from wifi when they were locked/sleeping because downloads didn't abort. Finally, AirPlay doesn't seem to have been in the mix either. Having it on doesn't break it, and disabling didn't fix it.
Since July 2018, I have been in touch with SONOS all the way up to the CEO's office. There is not a fix for this issue, and IMO there will not be one. Other than confirming that there is an issue and presenting a completely ludicrous solution to deactivate AirPlay on my other devices, SONOS has gone silent on this issue.

Your brand share will continue to decline until you get off your high horse and remember your commitment to your product and customers are a reflection of your future. That is what set you apart, what happened?

SONOS, if I am offbase show us a real timeline and project plan already in play to correct this PARTICULAR issue.

As for my SONOS, I have found a new use for it and decided to admit I got ripped off.

LESSON: You don't always get what you pay for.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Jeff - my man. It's been too long since I've checked back in to hear you tell me the same disappointing news. Any chance you can provide an update that has a bit of teeth to it? Just looking for something that outlines the timeline for you guys fixing this and doesn't give me a list of underwhelming "fixes."

Just going back in our conversation history it appears you guys have been "working" on this for over half a year. Is 2019 the year you guys figure it out? I'm fairly confident there are a number of people that are interested in your response.

Thanks
I am having the same issue when the phone sleeps. I'm playing music physically downloaded on my phone and once the phone sleeps it will drop the connection. I noticed if I take off the auto-sleep and my phone stays awake the whole time it does not drop the connection, but that of course isn't feasible as it drains the battery. I have an iPhone 8. I'm hoping this is fixed soon as its extremely annoying. I assume this has something to do with the lock screen update and the loss of controls. The phone should be able to sleep and still play the sonos, as before.
Exact same issue for me, two evenings lost browsing forums and setting static IP addresses and no joy, but you set the autolock to never and the problem disappears. Please fix this!
Hey SONOS, this isn’t ok. Support your legacy gear and customers. You’ve just told us that you’ve prioritized a new product launch over the thousands of dollars I’ve already sunk into your products. Fix this bug immediately or buy our gear back. Your “leave it unlocked” workaround is unacceptable by any security standard. If you aren’t going to support the iOS platform then make that clear. Please post the sprint this fix is in so we can decide whether or not to return our (currently) WORTHLESS SONOS EQUIPMENT.
Or, they may be at the mercy of Apple making changes behind the scenes, and not caring how it affects other parties.
Joining the throngs of hacked off Sonos/Apple users skipping to next tracks when mid-track. I have powered off Apple TV, no fix. Indexed the music library, no fix (was autoscheduled anyway), forgot wifi and reconnected , no fix. Turned off autolock - fixed, but that is unacceptable to me. No issue on Macbook, but ipad and iphone both skip tracks randomly, and evermore rapidly repeating skips, after about 12 minutes of clean playing. Ridiculous that Sonos cannot identify fix. All software bang up to date, no fix.
I am cross-posting a message I put into a different thread that is also related to this "skipping" issue. I apologize in advance for the cross-post and the Moderator can remove it if they want. It is a little lengthy.

Begin Cross-Post:

This issue is widespread.

What is disappointing is to hear that Sonos Ones are also doing it. I was told by Technical Support that if I purchased a Sonos One, and used the Sonos App to group all the other Sonos speakers to the Sonos One Group, and then I opened the Apple Music App and used "Airplay" to the Sonos One speaker (and the group connected to the Sonos One), rather than the Sonos App, that this "skipping" issue would be resolved.

I would like to give the CEO of Sonos, Patrick Spence, credit. I emailed him yesterday (Sunday) about this issue, and today (Monday), I received a thoughtful, apologetic, caring, and personal response. He is aware of the issue and he had someone in their "escalation" division contact me. I am impressed that the CEO would personally respond to an email, and for that, I would like to thank Patrick, and Sonos.

Now, on to the continuing issue of the songs "skipping" when streaming content that has been downloaded onto your iPhone. Apparently it has something to do with when Sonos added "Airplay" functionality to their App and may/may not be related to AirPlay 2 in iOS. What seems to be happening is that when the Sonos app is used and the phone "locks" and goes to sleep, that the connection to the Sonos app is lost, and the phone tries instead to connect to any Airplay-compatible device you have on your network (AppleTV, Homepod, etc). For whatever reason, Sonos can not re-connect with it's own App/Speakers once the phone locks / sleeps like it used to do before the Airplay functionality was added.

The solution they suggested is that I go around to any AirPlay-capable devices and go into Settings, AirPlay, and then turn "off" airplay. Then delete the Sonos App and re-install the Sonos app. I don't want to do this because we frequently airplay photos/videos onto our TV for the family. I have not tried this solution yet, so can't comment if it actually works or not.

The other solution is to set your "auto-lock" time to "never" under Settings - Display & Brightness on your iOS device. Again, I don't want to leave my phone forever unlocked in case I drop it or leave it somewhere. But, that supposedly stops the issue as well.

The technical support person I spoke with said they are "Investigating the issue", not "they are working on the issue", or "they have a fix coming for the issue". Leads me to believe that we could be far away from a solution.

As a person with 19 Sonos products (total) spread across 2 different locations, this is very frustrating.

Will continue to post any/all information I get.

My next move will be to purchase a Sonos One device on a trial basis. If it works, I will keep it and replace our Alexa. If it doesn't solve the issue, I will return it and may even look at moving away from Sonos altogether.

It is ridiculous that they can't solve this issue when it doesn't occur with Spotify, Apple Music, Pandora, etc. You can stream any playlist you want, but, if the playlist, or song is stored locally, then you don't get to hear it in its entirety. Makes Sonos unusable, and, at the very least, un-enjoyable.
Sonos, I am VERY surprised by how long you are taking to fix this issue. It’s a MAJOR global issue with Sonos. I have stopped using your system due to this problem. My system is unusable. I’m in Australia and have been experiencing this iphone lock/ music stopping or skipping issue ever since I bought my iphone X. It does NOT happen on my wife’s iphone 8.

There should be a global announcement about this issue from your company ASAP
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hey Jeff - has your “investigation” led to anything other than some excuse as to why this is still happening? What’s the timeline for Sonos to fix the issu? At this point, I’m just assuming that it’s a technical issue and Sonos literally cannot fix it on their own and Apple doesn’t care. Would be great to hear something other than the general corporate nonsense of “looking into it”..........
iPhone XR running iOS 12.1 and experiencing song cut outs when playing music from my phone. It’s frustrating as I own several Sonos speakers and they used to work like a dream. Now I can’t stream music from my phone without experiencing a song starting and switching to another one randomly during playbacks which makes me frustrated to no end. Sonos needs to come up with a fix beyond turning off airplay or the lock screen because this is ridiculous.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi Jeff - me again. What is the update here? You guys have been investigating this for months? What’s the timeline to get this resolved that doesn’t involve a bunch of crummy workarounds? Is this an issue that Sonos can fix on its own or do you guys need Apple to cooperate with you all in order to address it? Surely you guys have answers to these questions, and given the number of people asking about it, I’m certain I’m not the only person that would like better clarity on the issue and the path forward.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hey Jeff - me again. Is there an update here? Would be great to hear some specifics on what’s going on? What is the specific issue? Currently, can Sonos fix it on their own or do you guys need apple’s help? What’s the timeline to get this resolved without the work arounds?

I view your company as a consumer experience company as much as it is a speaker company. And as it stands right now, my consumer experience hasn’t been the best. Help me understand what’s really going on and what the plan is to get it resolved.
Guys, you really need to sort this out. Despite the fact I shouldn't have to, I've tried every suggestion listed here and I still get the same problem. This system is sold on its simplicity yet there are posts going back 18 months on this topic and there still isn't a satisfactory resolution. There is no issue with my Wi-Fi, it works perfectly well with everything else across 4 floors in my house. I have no other air-play devices at home and no neighbours nearby that could be causing interference. Please stop claiming that issues arise solely from drop-out on Wi-Fi when this isn't always the case.
Your product worked fine before and I used it every day, I absolutely loved it!!!!! Now I just get annoyed when I look at it. Customers are unforgiving when they pay out a lot of cash for something that doesn't deliver on its promise. Technology never stands still but making a product that works is just as important as having the latest features. Brand reputation is hard-earned but easily ruined when it looks to the outside world that you don't (or can't) deal with issues such as this.
Finally, pvboyd01 has been fairly persistent in asking for updates/assistance. It doesn't look great from a customer services perspective when you leave him hanging for a couple of months.
Hope you can resolve this as I'd love to fire up the speakers again.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks Jeff. Pretty unsurprising response. I would have been pretty shocked to actually learn anything new.

I emailed Patrick and if he response I’ll summarize it here for anybody who is actually following this chain.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1

New to this discussion but have been dealing with issue for months too. Couldn’t be more frustrated. Based on the supposed response from the CEO the only solution for direct play from an iOS device is using airplay, which not older Sonos devices don’t support. It would seem that since Sonos originally marketed these devices to support direct playback from iOS, that they should provide a real, working solution. Can they push down a firmware update that would allow older hardware to support airplay? If not, are they offering owners of older hardware an airplay compatible device so that it can be grouped together so that all older devices will support airplay? If not, a refund of now obsolete devices seems to be in order. Candidly, I’m shocked that Sonos hasn’t issued a public statement on this. My hunch is that they are fearful that it could turn into a costly recall.I'd be happy with a refund on my speakers or a heavy discount (75% off) of new Sonos speakers with AirPlay 2 support. Otherwise if this is not fixed, perhaps a class action lawsuit is in order?

I am in for the class action lawsuit.
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
New to this discussion but have been dealing with issue for months too. Couldn’t be more frustrated. Based on the supposed response from the CEO the only solution for direct play from an iOS device is using airplay, which not older Sonos devices don’t support. It would seem that since Sonos originally marketed these devices to support direct playback from iOS, that they should provide a real, working solution. Can they push down a firmware update that would allow older hardware to support airplay? If not, are they offering owners of older hardware an airplay compatible device so that it can be grouped together so that all older devices will support airplay? If not, a refund of now obsolete devices seems to be in order. Candidly, I’m shocked that Sonos hasn’t issued a public statement on this. My hunch is that they are fearful that it could turn into a costly recall.

I'd be happy with a refund on my speakers or a heavy discount (75% off) of new Sonos speakers with AirPlay 2 support. Otherwise if this is not fixed, perhaps a class action lawsuit is in order?
No worries, Stuart, happy to be of assistance.

But if you want to be pissed, be pissed at Apple. They're the ones who "broke" the system.

But in all honesty, another Sonos speaker is a good thing 🙂
I am having the same issue. Wait times of over an hour every time I try to call for support. Have had numerous communications with Sonos via Twitter and I'm being sent in circles with no resolve.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I am having the same issue. Wait times of over an hour every time I try to call for support. Have had numerous communications with Sonos via Twitter and I'm being sent in circles with no resolve.
Sorry for the delay, with the software update last week and the Beam launch this week, the team's been busy. They're working as hard as they can to get everyone helped, and all questions answered. They'll be with you as soon as possible.
Userlevel 1
Super frustrating, right. I feel like no one at sonos is overly invested in trying to make this right.