Answered

Sonos upgrade now music dropping when iPhone sleeps

Show first post

104 replies

After waiting months for a fix on this, I’ve now decided this is not going to be fixed in the foreseeable future, and therefore does not make my sound bar and 2 speakers fit for purpose. Pretty shocking when I have just under a grand of your equipment in my house. I don’t have a computer I can just switch my music too, I don’t see why I should ruin my phone battery, just because apparently you aren’t capable of making your products work with what is one of the most bought phone/tablet/computer brands in the world. I also don’t see why I should disconnect my whole network from airplay which works fine, just to make this rubbish work. Can anyone advise on another music system/sound bar worth investing in that will work with an iPhone at all? Guess I’m going to have to find some other poor sap to buy this equipment off me!
Same problem and it is very annoying. Disabling all phone security is not a good solution. Could you ask Spotify for help as they don’t seem to have the problem when playing from their app which works with airplay and Sonos?
I bought my first Sonos device today, and was so excited! I wish I had read this forum first. The device is not fit for purpose. I am not going to go around my house turning off features on other devices, or turn off security features, to make a speaker work! Speaker stops every time iPhone sleeps. I can see from this thread Sonos have known about this for many months but it seems they are unwilling to admit they cannot find a proper fix. I'm no techie and thought this was meant to be a seemless piece of kit, whereas for me it turns out to be an utter waste of money. I'm pretty gutted to be honest. Sonos - is there a proper fix for this or not, that doesn't involve fumbling with all the other devices in my house or turning off my auto lock?
I bought my first Sonos device today, and I regret. No one told me about the sleeping problem, and as I can see when searching, it has been a problem for some time, and still no solution. Well it works disabling lock screen, but not a safe solution. I had hoped Sonos was a responsible company, so they would warn their costumers, or at least say we are three month from a solutions, but once again I got disappointed. Well I have 30 days free return, and that will be used, sadly because I like the sound, and was planning to expand the system, bun now I don't think that will happen, at least not with the Sonos brand.
I’m giving up. This has been going on for months with no resolution. After outfitting my home with Sonos, I can no longer play music. I feel like I’ve been swindled.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Jeff - my man. It's been too long since I've checked back in to hear you tell me the same disappointing news. Any chance you can provide an update that has a bit of teeth to it? Just looking for something that outlines the timeline for you guys fixing this and doesn't give me a list of underwhelming "fixes."

Just going back in our conversation history it appears you guys have been "working" on this for over half a year. Is 2019 the year you guys figure it out? I'm fairly confident there are a number of people that are interested in your response.

Thanks
Does using a Sonos Boost help anyone with these issues? I have the same problems, especially when the iPhone display goes to sleep. I’m wondering if the device helps since it keeps the network dedicated to Sonos around the home.
No, the BOOST doesn't alter the way that the Apple device works. It's moving your music off of the Apple device that would make a difference.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hey Jeff - would be great to not have to chase on this. You mind giving the group an update that has some substance?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hey Jeff - me again. Just checking on an update on this topic. Any chance you can give me something more than, "we're working on it," or "here's three crappy fixes," just given we've been discussing this for a very long time? Looking forward to hearing back from you.
Guys, you really need to sort this out. Despite the fact I shouldn't have to, I've tried every suggestion listed here and I still get the same problem. This system is sold on its simplicity yet there are posts going back 18 months on this topic and there still isn't a satisfactory resolution. There is no issue with my Wi-Fi, it works perfectly well with everything else across 4 floors in my house. I have no other air-play devices at home and no neighbours nearby that could be causing interference. Please stop claiming that issues arise solely from drop-out on Wi-Fi when this isn't always the case.
Your product worked fine before and I used it every day, I absolutely loved it!!!!! Now I just get annoyed when I look at it. Customers are unforgiving when they pay out a lot of cash for something that doesn't deliver on its promise. Technology never stands still but making a product that works is just as important as having the latest features. Brand reputation is hard-earned but easily ruined when it looks to the outside world that you don't (or can't) deal with issues such as this.
Finally, pvboyd01 has been fairly persistent in asking for updates/assistance. It doesn't look great from a customer services perspective when you leave him hanging for a couple of months.
Hope you can resolve this as I'd love to fire up the speakers again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
HI folks,

I don't have any updates right now. For now, if you want to use an iOS device as a music server, you'll likely have audio interruptions if you have non-Sonos Airplay devices active on your network and your iOS device auto locks. Disabling the auto lock feature, or disabling Airplay on non-Sonos devices should get this type of streaming going again.

If you move your music library to a computer or NAS drive, and set up a music share. this particular issue will no longer apply. You'll have the same access to your library on any controllers, and the music will continue to play if there are non-Sonos Airplay devices active, and even if your iOS device goes offline.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks Jeff. Even a timeline - anything you can share would be helpful. I really shouldn’t have to beg for info, should I?

To say I’m disappointed with the approach of your company would be a wild understatement. I’ve tried messaging you privately as well - no follow up there either.

I’ve been on this forum for months looking for just information - let alone a resolution - and I’ve been either outright ignored, or told nothing.

What’s the plan here? Just hope I stop asking?

Can you please send me Patrick’s email? I want to forward him this entire thread and get his take.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks Jeff. Even a timeline - anything you can share would be helpful. I really shouldn’t have to beg for info, should I?

To say I’m disappointed with the approach of your company would be a wild understatement. I’ve tried messaging you privately as well - no follow up there either.

I’ve been on this forum for months looking for just information - let alone a resolution - and I’ve been either outright ignored, or told nothing.

What’s the plan here? Just hope I stop asking?

Can you please send me Patrick’s email? I want to forward him this entire thread and get his take.

I understand your frustration. We don't have a timeline that we can share for this issue. We have, however, provided information on multiple different ways to play your music library. If you need help getting your music library moved to a computer or NAS, I'll be happy to help.

You can find Patrick's email on the bottom of our contact page.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks Jeff. Pretty unsurprising response. I would have been pretty shocked to actually learn anything new.

I emailed Patrick and if he response I’ll summarize it here for anybody who is actually following this chain.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi Jeff,
Why do non Sonos AirPlay devices on the same network cause this problem? Can you provide any more transparent technical detail? I know that a few Sonos devices such as the Sonos One support AirPlay 2. When Sonos added AirPlay 2 support it crippled a lot of features for us Sonos customers without AirPlay 2 speakers, especially for those of us with non-Sonos AirPlay devices on the same network as Sonos.
We are currently investigating issues with audio playback from an iPhone or iPad to Sonos when using the “From this iPhone or iPad” music source.

If you use other apps that use the iOS device audio, such as making a phone call, YouTube, social media apps, or use Bluetooth headphones while playing from “This iPhone or iPad,” you may experience audio interruptions on Sonos until you completely close or quit those apps. Until this issue is resolved, we also recommend disabling Bluetooth for the best experience.

Additionally, if there are any AirPlay devices on your network, such as an Apple TV or Airport Express, audio from “This iPhone or iPad” may stop abruptly until AirPlay is disabled on those devices.

We recognize this isn't an ideal solution for those who use AirPlay regularly at home, but if you prefer to continue playing to Sonos from “This iPhone or iPad” without interruption, refer to the device manufacturer’s instructions for disabling AirPlay. Once AirPlay is disabled, close and re-open the Sonos app and start playback again.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2922?language=en_US
Userlevel 2
Badge
So I have an update.

First, the positive news. Folks at Sonos are very nice. Also, if you believe that Patrick’s email address is actually on the website and that he in fact answers it himself, then I received a response from him regarding this question.

Now for the bad news. As you may have suspected, there’s not a fix nor will there be a fix. From “Patrick,” copy and pasted response after a bit of back and forth with somebody from customer service, with Patrick copied on the emails, Patrick responds:

“Apologies for this not being clear. The feature (“From this iPhone”) will no longer be possible through the Sonos app. With the changes to iOS, the way to play music you’ve downloaded to an iOS device to your Sonos speaker(s) is to use Apple’s Airplay.

The Sonos app allows you to access 80+ streaming services, or your downloaded music library stored on a computer, NAS drive, or in the cloud.”

Hope this information is helpful to folks. Expect no fix and plan accordingly, from the CEO directly.
Userlevel 1
Badge
So I have an update.

First, the positive news. Folks at Sonos are very nice. Also, if you believe that Patrick’s email address is actually on the website and that he in fact answers it himself, then I received a response from him regarding this question.

Now for the bad news. As you may have suspected, there’s not a fix nor will there be a fix. From “Patrick,” copy and pasted response after a bit of back and forth with somebody from customer service, with Patrick copied on the emails, Patrick responds:

“Apologies for this not being clear. The feature (“From this iPhone”) will no longer be possible through the Sonos app. With the changes to iOS, the way to play music you’ve downloaded to an iOS device to your Sonos speaker(s) is to use Apple’s Airplay.

The Sonos app allows you to access 80+ streaming services, or your downloaded music library stored on a computer, NAS drive, or in the cloud.”

Hope this information is helpful to folks. Expect no fix and plan accordingly, from the CEO directly.

Thank you for sharing! 🙂 This stinks. So Sonos is blaming Apple iOS, although I feel like the play music from my iPhone feature broke when Sonos added support for AirPlay 2 since Sonos says non-Sonos AirPlay devices on the same network are the cause. So Sonos is also to blame.

I am a very technical person (I work in IT as an engineer/architect). Is there any more detail on why this is no longer possible? Is Sonos' support for AirPlay and having non-Sonos devices on the same network a problem that cannot be fixed or is it a problem that Sonos does not want to fix? I am not familiar with the iOS SDK for AirPlay. Is there any way for the Sonos app to have a toggle to disable AirPlay support if you don't own Sonos speakers that are AirPlay compatible and make the from this iPhone feature work?

This makes my Play:1 speakers obsolete from my significant other's perspective. I bought Sonos Play:1 speakers because older AirPlay speakers had audio drop out problems. I guess now I have to buy new Sonos One speakers (or not Sonos) or an Android phone. I don't want to spend money on either.
Have you guys tried the following:
On iPhone open settings/general/background app refresh setting to ‘on’ with at least WiFi and slide Sonos to ‘on’
Userlevel 1
Badge
Have you guys tried the following:
On iPhone open settings/general/background app refresh setting to ‘on’ with at least WiFi and slide Sonos to ‘on’

Yes it is still an issue when Background App Refresh is enabled for Sonos, just tried it again with iOS 12.2 (iPhone 😎 and Sonos iOS App 10.1. I have two non-Sonos AirPlay devices on my home network.
Not sure what app might be interfering but I've found on my iPhone 6s iOS 12.2 that this doesn't happen if Sonos controller is the only thing running. Not ideal I know but better than faffing with the settings every time you want to play music from your phone.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Not sure what app might be interfering but I've found on my iPhone 6s iOS 12.2 that this doesn't happen if Sonos controller is the only thing running. Not ideal I know but better than faffing with the settings every time you want to play music from your phone.

Hmm, that’s interesting. I don’t close frequently used apps on my iPhone anymore because Apple claims they know how to efficiently manage apps in the background, figured I would test it out.
major design flaw. anyone know a better alternative to sonos?
worked when i turned background refresh on. only slid Sonos to on. all other apps to off.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings