Answered

Sonos upgrade now music dropping when iPhone sleeps

Show first post

125 replies

I'm seeing this behaviour too. But my wife doesn't on her iPhone (I have 8s, she has 7. Both running iOS 12.0.1). My workaround is to switch to another app which doesn't allow the screen to switch off while the podcast is playing. I use Microsoft News as my app to keep the screen on.
I am cross-posting a message I put into a different thread that is also related to this "skipping" issue. I apologize in advance for the cross-post and the Moderator can remove it if they want. It is a little lengthy.

Begin Cross-Post:

This issue is widespread.

What is disappointing is to hear that Sonos Ones are also doing it. I was told by Technical Support that if I purchased a Sonos One, and used the Sonos App to group all the other Sonos speakers to the Sonos One Group, and then I opened the Apple Music App and used "Airplay" to the Sonos One speaker (and the group connected to the Sonos One), rather than the Sonos App, that this "skipping" issue would be resolved.

I would like to give the CEO of Sonos, Patrick Spence, credit. I emailed him yesterday (Sunday) about this issue, and today (Monday), I received a thoughtful, apologetic, caring, and personal response. He is aware of the issue and he had someone in their "escalation" division contact me. I am impressed that the CEO would personally respond to an email, and for that, I would like to thank Patrick, and Sonos.

Now, on to the continuing issue of the songs "skipping" when streaming content that has been downloaded onto your iPhone. Apparently it has something to do with when Sonos added "Airplay" functionality to their App and may/may not be related to AirPlay 2 in iOS. What seems to be happening is that when the Sonos app is used and the phone "locks" and goes to sleep, that the connection to the Sonos app is lost, and the phone tries instead to connect to any Airplay-compatible device you have on your network (AppleTV, Homepod, etc). For whatever reason, Sonos can not re-connect with it's own App/Speakers once the phone locks / sleeps like it used to do before the Airplay functionality was added.

The solution they suggested is that I go around to any AirPlay-capable devices and go into Settings, AirPlay, and then turn "off" airplay. Then delete the Sonos App and re-install the Sonos app. I don't want to do this because we frequently airplay photos/videos onto our TV for the family. I have not tried this solution yet, so can't comment if it actually works or not.

The other solution is to set your "auto-lock" time to "never" under Settings - Display & Brightness on your iOS device. Again, I don't want to leave my phone forever unlocked in case I drop it or leave it somewhere. But, that supposedly stops the issue as well.

The technical support person I spoke with said they are "Investigating the issue", not "they are working on the issue", or "they have a fix coming for the issue". Leads me to believe that we could be far away from a solution.

As a person with 19 Sonos products (total) spread across 2 different locations, this is very frustrating.

Will continue to post any/all information I get.

My next move will be to purchase a Sonos One device on a trial basis. If it works, I will keep it and replace our Alexa. If it doesn't solve the issue, I will return it and may even look at moving away from Sonos altogether.

It is ridiculous that they can't solve this issue when it doesn't occur with Spotify, Apple Music, Pandora, etc. You can stream any playlist you want, but, if the playlist, or song is stored locally, then you don't get to hear it in its entirety. Makes Sonos unusable, and, at the very least, un-enjoyable.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
HI folks,

We're investigating an issue with AirPlay compatibility that causes streaming from the storage on iOS devices to cut out when non-Sonos AirPlay devices are active on the network and your iOS device goes to sleep or auto locks. We'll update this thread with the results of our technicians investigation, but in the meantime you can get streaming going again in a few ways. The best way is to sync your iOS device's stored music with the iTunes on a computer, then to set up a music share. This will allow your Sonos system to stream the music without cutting out, even if your iOS devices goes to sleep, auto locks, powers down, or leaves the network.

You can also get streaming from your iOS device working again by disabling AirPlay on any non-Sonos devices on your network, or by disabling auto lock in the iOS device's settings menu under display and brightness.
Sonos, I am VERY surprised by how long you are taking to fix this issue. It’s a MAJOR global issue with Sonos. I have stopped using your system due to this problem. My system is unusable. I’m in Australia and have been experiencing this iphone lock/ music stopping or skipping issue ever since I bought my iphone X. It does NOT happen on my wife’s iphone 8.

There should be a global announcement about this issue from your company ASAP
I have a similar problem - when streaming music from a radio station to my Sonos vain the iPhone app the stream stops a few minutes after the iPhone goes to sleep. It has been happening for some time now, as a result I usually stream via my iPad or computer and don’t have the problem. I have an iPhone XS and all software is up to date.
The solution "Disable all other Airplay devices" is literally impossible. All new Marantz, Denon, Yamaha and more AVRs have BUILT IN Airplay that cannot be disabled. Any other ideas? Like maybe ditch the stupid airplay support from Sonos App till you make it work properly. I somehow doubt there was a huge community clamoring for Sonos to support Airplay when it worked fine without it.
Hi there, can we please get an update on this? This has rendered our entire Sonos system unusable by my wife, who only uses her phone to connect to Sonos. We would like a refund if this is not going to be resolved ASAP.
Userlevel 2
A solution that is working for me is on your iphone first connect Apple Airplay 2 to a compatible sonos speaker (play5 2nd gen, sonos one ,playbase, and the new amp) then go to itunes on phone or computer and select what you want to play, start playing then go to sonos app on phone or computer and add any other sonos rooms(group) to the compatible airplay 2 sonos speaker . It is working for me , no more skips or drops.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hey Jeff - has your “investigation” led to anything other than some excuse as to why this is still happening? What’s the timeline for Sonos to fix the issu? At this point, I’m just assuming that it’s a technical issue and Sonos literally cannot fix it on their own and Apple doesn’t care. Would be great to hear something other than the general corporate nonsense of “looking into it”..........
iPhone XR running iOS 12.1 and experiencing song cut outs when playing music from my phone. It’s frustrating as I own several Sonos speakers and they used to work like a dream. Now I can’t stream music from my phone without experiencing a song starting and switching to another one randomly during playbacks which makes me frustrated to no end. Sonos needs to come up with a fix beyond turning off airplay or the lock screen because this is ridiculous.
Note that this started happening with the release of iOS 11.
Has This issue been resolved yet ?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi Jeff - me again. What is the update here? You guys have been investigating this for months? What’s the timeline to get this resolved that doesn’t involve a bunch of crummy workarounds? Is this an issue that Sonos can fix on its own or do you guys need Apple to cooperate with you all in order to address it? Surely you guys have answers to these questions, and given the number of people asking about it, I’m certain I’m not the only person that would like better clarity on the issue and the path forward.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hey Jeff - me again. Is there an update here? Would be great to hear some specifics on what’s going on? What is the specific issue? Currently, can Sonos fix it on their own or do you guys need apple’s help? What’s the timeline to get this resolved without the work arounds?

I view your company as a consumer experience company as much as it is a speaker company. And as it stands right now, my consumer experience hasn’t been the best. Help me understand what’s really going on and what the plan is to get it resolved.
I see my post on here from yesterday was deleted. Wow, can’t handle the criticism, eh? Nice job Sonos. Keep ignoring loyal fans and lining your pockets.

Moderator's note: Post edited to remove personal attack
I see my post on here from yesterday was deleted. Wow, can’t handle the criticism, eh? Nice job Sonos. Keep ignoring loyal fans and lining your pockets.

Doesn’t surprise me. Sonos isn’t the company it used to be - it built its brand around awesome products, first class service and products specifically designed with a synergy with Apple products. They are now just like every other big retailer - wrapped up in corporate garbage with a 100% focus on profits.

I am also experiencing this issue, on iPhone 8s, my wife’s iPhone 7, iPad Air and iPad Air 2. It’s been happening for months and for Sonos to suggest in the current day and age that the best thing to do is neglect to use a security feature of the phone is beyond ridiculous. Time to move to a better sound from a better and more reliable brand such as B&O perhaps...
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

I'm commenting here to remind folks to follow our community code of conduct for posting. Personal attacks are never permitted.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Jeff! You’re alive!! I was getting scared. I sincerely hope all is well.

Any chance I could get you to respond to any of my messages? I’m looking for a real, authentic, update. Any way you could provide that?
Brand new Sonos user here. I set up my Sonos connect amp to my built in speakers and instantly began experiencing this same issue as countless others before me have. With a quick google search I found various threads with others experiencing this same issue. I am filled with instant regret with my recent $600+ purchase. I had planned on buying 4 more of the same systems for my other 4 zones and decided I should try one or first before commiting to the whole shebang, smart thinking on my part. Looks like this is going directly back into the box and back to amazon. I too hope Jeff is in good health and spirits and pray he has not fallen victim to some I’ll faited Sonos/Apple sleep demon of his own.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

We don't have an update right now, we're still looking into this. For the time being, having non-Sonos AirPlay devices active on your network may cause playback issues when streaming from the storage of an iOS device. If you are having any playback issues when playing music from any other source, there's something else going on. I'd recommend heading over to this guide which has some great troubleshooting steps.

For the time being, you can disable AirPlay on non-Sonos devices to get iOS streaming working again. Some folks have had success with disabling auto lock in the iOS settings menu under display and brightness.

Another option is to offload your music library from your iOS device to a computer or NAS drive, then set up a music share. This will allow you to play your music library, using any controller, even if you have non-Sonos AirPlay devices active, or your iOS device goes to sleep or goes offline.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hey Jeff - Happy holidays. What’s the timeline like? I’m certain you can understand the frustration of myself and many other users. It’s one thing to have an issue and not be able to fix it. But it’s super frustrating when there’s no path forward and there’s a complete lack of transparency from your side. I think you would see a whole lot less upset customers if you could help people fully understand the issue as well as the pathway to resolution (can you even fix it or does Apple need to do something on their end?).

Personally, I’ve been asking you about this for months. To have no additional information from you - I’m not even saying a fix - is pretty disappointing.
Add my name to the ever-increasing list of frustrated users who are in need of a proper resolution.

I don’t have anything to add beyond what everyone else has mentioned...other than my recommendations to friends about Sonos as an excellent product has stopped due to this issue. I feel like my thousands have been wasted...and my enjoyment sucked away. 😞
Userlevel 2
Badge
Jeff - happy holidays. A timeline of when people could expect a formal resolution would be much appreciated.
Anything new to report, Sonos? I really like munch Sonos gear, but this could be a deal-breaker...
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Nothing new to report, nor do we have a timeline. My advice is to offload your music libraries to a computer or NAS drive, then set up a music share. This will allow you to stream your music library without interruptions, from any controller if you have non-Sonos AirPlay devices active on your network, and even if your iOS devices goes to sleep or offline.