Sonos update changed USB settings

• 12 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I am using Sonos V2 on PC running Windows 7.

I updated Sonos a few days ago and my USB settings on my PC were changed by the update. Nothing else on this PC has been updated or changed in months.

Now the USB port power stays on even when the PC is shut down. I need to power go off when the PC is shut down, I have a device that powers down my speakers, monitor, etc when the PC is off.

I would like to know how to change the settings (that were changed) back so my USB powers off when the computer is shut down.

Thank you,

Morty

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Badge +17

Hi @mtarr,

I’m afraid that’s definitely not the case. Your USB power setting controlled by the BIOS on your motherboard - something the Sonos controller definitely does not touch. This is controlled on a hardware level and not something typically controlled inside Windows.

Hi @mtarr,

I’m afraid that’s definitely not the case. Your USB power setting controlled by the BIOS on your motherboard - something the Sonos controller definitely does not touch. This is controlled on a hardware level and not something typically controlled inside Windows.

Hi James,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I do not believe your comment about the BIOS is strictly true. The BIOS governs booting, but Windows has many options for shutdown. Check out the options in the Windows Power Options Control Panel, such as USB selective suspend. Some folks like to charge their phones from their PC when it’s off, and Windows provides for this.. Like all other Windows functions, there are additional options only available in the registry. I am 90%+ certain that the Sonos update made some change, and it is not reflected in the control panel settings.

I did not change the BIOS or Windows settings, yet this behavior changed and the only change I made was updating Sonos S2. I am hoping you will ask your driver folks as I do not have the magic decoder ring for the Windows registry entries. If not, I will have to find another solution.

Thank you,

Morty

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sonos used to adjust the power settings on Windows when file sharing was enabled. I haven’t seen that in a long time, but then I haven’t used Windows 7 in a great many years, so it could be specific to that obsolete unsupported operating system.

Look for a custom Power Plan. I’d show you how but as i said, I long ago quit using Windows 7. its going to be somewhere in Control Panel / Power Options my memory vaguely recalls.