SONOS unstable under Ubiquiti. Speakers dropping on and off or not playing after 10-15 Songs

• 22 November 2017
  • 11 replies

Badge
Hi. We just completed an upgrade of the network setup and replaced a faulty NETGEAR router with a router from Ubiquiti networks. This is the setup....UniFi Security Gateway 3P, UniFi switch 24 POE-250W. UniFi AP-AC Pro.

Prior to the network upgrade all Sonos player and Connect AMP were powered down the night before. Once the new setup was finalized the speakers were powered up one at a time including the Play 5 that is hooked directly to the router.

I have noticed that some speakers are dropping in an out intermitently or the system stops playing altogether and I have to restart in with the IPAD or in our Windows 10 PC.

I have been calling tech support but it is extremely frustrating to get to a live person at SONOS these days.

The network setup under Ubiquiti networks is fine....all devices are working fine (total of 24 devices in network). Is just this issue with the SONOS speakers I'd like to resolve.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Badge
I sent a diagnostics from IPAD 8121100....
Badge
Only one Play 5 is connected the Gateway (router)...remaining components are wireless. All devices were powered down and powered up with a new IP address for the new router. Standard procedure when upgrading router per SONOS advice.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Did you assign static IP addresses to your sonos gear using their MAC addresses? Doing that in my router solved several issues.
Badge
Moved SONOS to channel 11....seems to work much better now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Did you try an RF survey using the Ubiquity controller software? That gives you a really good look at your RF usage levels.

What does your network matrix look like?

http://sonos-ip:1400/support/review (replace sonos-ip with your device's real ip)
Badge
Stanley....thanks for your feedback....moved everything to channel 11 and players seem to be happy. What is and RF survey? I can try that and see what it comes up with.
Badge
PS...I let the zone players pick their IP addresses when I powered them up...cant see any IP address conflicts
Badge
By the way....I sent diagnostics to SONOS tech rep with the music off and on....they did not see anything on their side. He mentioned I may want to consider SONOS boost as a possible option. How much better the wireless signal will be with SONOS boost as opposed to the signal coming from the PLAY 5? Not sure if I really need to go there unless this issue creeps back up....so far all speakers have been working fine for several hours. No interruptions or speakers fading in and out....
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I added a boost here and saw a bit of signal improvement, once I moved it to a central location I saw even more improvement so I'm quite happy with the results. The network matrix shows it as the connection provider for all of my un-wired devices. My Play 5s were 1st Generation, old Play 3s and ZP-80s as well so the WiFi hardware wasn't up to current standards, maybe why the Boost looks as good as it does?

If your network matrix isn't looking good or you are feeding your gear from Ethernet in a non-central location a centrally located boost is cheap frustration reduction.

If you go to the Ubiquity's controller device page and select a device you get a right side pop-up menu. There select the tools sub-menu (under the bar graph) and RF Environment there. It will take a while but you'll get detailed, long-tern signal analysis of your location.

Static IP assignments can save headaches even if all is good now, updates and tangled IPs seem to be a common problem from the number of posts I see on it. Assigning them takes seconds each compared to much hair pulling if you get bit later.
Badge
Thanks Stanley...basically I have centralized the network in the basement. There is an OnQ network panel that feeds the structured wiring system running through the whole house. The house was wired for ethernet when we built it years ago. The cable modem feeds the unify security gateway (router) which feeds the 24 port Unifi network switch. We have the Unifi access point in a smart closet in the first floor located in the mid point of the house. The Play 5 that starts the SONOS net is in a bonus room above the garage (network cable comes off Play 5 into network port in wall and to router). There are 4 additional play 5's in the first floor that extend the mesh network. There is connect amp in the basement hooked to old Bose speakers. I can see the benefit of a BOOST at a later date and perhaps have the boost in the first floor so it is at a "central" location. If the BOOST wireless signal is better than the Play 5's I would definitely consider it. All the Sonos components I have are about 2 years old (or less).
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If you can add a wired connection to a more central Sonos it may improve your connections.

I have most of mine wired as I have lots of network ports and they were in easy to wire locations. With multiple wired locations Sonos figures out the best configuration. The network matrix shows you what Sonos has chosen.

You have some powerful tools with your Ubiquity gear that you should fool around with in your spare time. I added a cloud Key to my setup as I found it a lot less work than keeping a PC based controller running.