Answered

Sonos unstable to the point of useless - even after adding a Boost

• 27 February 2022
  • 40 replies

Badge +1

Hi all, 

I have two Sonos One SL and two IKEA Symphony bookshelf speakers running in my current, limited setup. Recently, I began experiencing problems with sound falling off some speakers for a few seconds, then coming back - and then falling off again randomly. 

As I expected that this was due to distance / walls etc. giving the network a hard time, I went out and purchased a Boost. This is now connected with a cable to my main access point (that is again cabled to my main router in the attic). 

I tried the tools available for troubleshooting - e.g. the network matrix at something like this address: http://192.168.0.207:1400/support/review 
From my Boost, connections to all speakers is green -  which I presume means that the Sonos network-coverage and communication is fine. 

However, many times during the day, speakers will still be falling off. Sometimes one of the Symfonisk will play, while the Ones are still - then they come back randomly, and then one of the Symfonisk speakers fall out, to return again a bit later. 

It’s incredibly frustrating and renders the system virtually useless! Also, I don’t assume that this is due to a bad internet connection, as Spotify keeps playing - just only on some of the speakers. 

I tried changing network channels many times, but it doesn’t seem to make any difference. 

Does anyone have an idea of what can be done for more stability?

Thanks in advance, 
/Bo

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 27 February 2022, 23:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

40 replies

Hi.  Would you be able to post the network matrix please?  You may wish to obscure the MAC addresses.

Other than your router (please state make and model) what other network devices are there?  You refer to an access point.

Whatever the matrix shows, i suggest you wire the Boost to the router instead, allow system to reconfigure for a couple of minutes.  Then rerun the matrix and post it.

Badge +1

Hi again, 

Sure thing - the matrix is attached below. The main router (which I don’t remember the make of - probably Linksys) is cabled to an Apple Time capsule that creates the main Wifi for my home. The Boost is then connected via cable to one of the outgoing RJ45-ports on the Time capsule. 

There are other devices on the network (my son’s PS4, my daugters’ iPads, phones, an Apple TV occasionally), but as I understand it, the Boost will create a dedicated Sonos Wifi for the speakers only?

If I listen to e.g. Spotify - or even Qobuz in Hi-res - directly on my phone, my connection never drops. This only happens when I play through Sonos (and it doesn’t seem that the connection drops - rather, speakers drop off). 

Badge +1

Still wired to the Time capsule, and not directly to the router (which is in the attic). I can try that, but this would require me to split the signal between the Boost and the Time Capsule (and I would need a switch or similar for that). 

Badge +1

I could put the Boost in the attic, but that would add a lot to the distance to speakers?

Badge +1

Hmm - just updated the network matrix, and now the Boost turned red. What could that mean?

For the moment pls ignore my suggestion to wire to router.

Is the wifi switched on on both the Linksys and ATC?  Which of these devices acts as DHCP server?

Is anything other than the ATC wired to the Linksys?

Is the ATC in Bridge mode (if that is possible)?

Hmm - just updated the network matrix, and now the Boost turned red. What could that mean?

Wireless interference.  The Boost may be too close to the ATC, or there may be another source of interference nearby.  Any other wireless systems or significant electrical gear?

The matrix is just a snapshot.  Intermittent interference is a possible candidate.

Badge +1

For the moment pls ignore my suggestion to wire to router.

Is the wifi switched on on both the Linksys and ATC?  Which of these devices acts as DHCP server?

Is anything other than the ATC wired to the Linksys?

Is the ATC in Bridge mode (if that is possible)?

Nothing else is wired to the Linksys, but the Wifi is turned on there - for which reason, there’s several Wifis available in the house. I guess the Linksys acts as DHCP, but I’m not sure of that. 

I had one of the One SLs right next to the ATC - and I had the Boost right in between them. This may be the cause of the interference - but I’ve moved them now, and it’s still very, very unstable. 

Badge +1

I have a Phillips Hue-bridge running as well - I don’t know if that could cause any interference?

I have a Phillips Hue-bridge running as well - I don’t know if that could cause any interference?

It could.  Easiest is to unplug it and then rerun the matrix.  What wireless channel is the ATC on?  What about the Boost?   You should ideally ensure that the Hue Bridge, the ATC and the Boost are at least 3 feet from each other.  

The Hue uses Zigbee rather than WiFi, but for the moment let’s take that out of the equatuon.

Turn the wireless off on the Linksys.

Edit: in fact please confirm ATC is in bridge mode.  If so then wifi on Linksys can probably be left on.

Badge +1

The ATC is in bridge mode. I will turn off the wireless on the Linksys. 

Badge +1

We have extenders running elsewhere in the house - but I assume they’ll all just work as extenders, even if they create their own Wifis. 

The ATC is in bridge mode. I will turn off the wireless on the Linksys. 

It should be ok if ATC is in bridge mode, but let’s see what happens with it off

We have extenders running elsewhere in the house - but I assume they’ll all just work as extenders, even if they create their own Wifis. 

The channels used could still create interference. But let’s leave that a moment and take stock

Badge +1

I turned off the Linksys wifi now. The ATC, the Hue bridge, and the Sonos Boost are about 3 feet from each other. Fallouts on either speaker is still as bad as ever : (

Where I would like to be at the moment is:

Linksys wireless off. 

ATC wireless on channel 1, 6 or 11

Sonos set to different channel from ATC

Hue Bridge unplugged

Hue, Boost and ATC physically well separated.

Edit: OK you are there.  Can we look at matrix again please?

Edit please confirm channels

Badge +1

Alright :-) 

Linksys Wireless off, Hue bridge off

ATC running on channel 11 (according to Wifi Explorer)

Sonos running on channel 6

ATC and Boost about 1,5m apart (I can get a longer network cable and put them even further apart)

Badge +1

All connections in the network matrix are green now, Boost still red (from interference?)

Badge +1

The sound seems better / more stable right now; crossing fingers! I’ll have to let it run for a few hours and see how it goes. Thanks a lot for your help so far.

Anything else could be causing the interference?  No need to move them further apart, although it would be good to see if moving the Boost helps.  There is something nearby causing this.  interference.

OK.  Let’s hope for the best.  Come back if further problems.

Things we could still try, experimentally:

1. Turning off the extenders
  2. Changing channel on Hue
  3. Wiring Boost to Linksys instead of to ATC.
  4. SonosNet on channel 1

Badge +1

Thank you - still not completely stable, but I’ll give it a chance to start working better. I could try channel 1 as you mentioned; this was where the Linksys wireless ran, but as it’s off now, this channel is available.

I might try plugging the Boost into the Linksys as well, but this would mean a ceiling to pass through + up to 10-12 meters distance to speakers. 

Badge +1

If it works out with the Boost plugged into the ATC, I assume that attaching the Boost to a ceiling, or - at least - as high up as possible would be an advantage?